• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Sydney vs. Melbourne

Atomic

Geez... you dont give the public much credit do you? We're blindly lead by the hype machine of the mass media, despite our better judgement.

You've proved my point. We DON'T have a traditional European league system. People AREN'T flocking to the final rounds of the season.

We DO have a traditional finals system. People WILL flock to the finals.

Media hype has nothing to do with it (though it does help). FWIW, I agree with you, but I'm also a realist. Case in point... how much exposure is the RL and AFL getting at the moment? And their seasons haven't even started yet. Although it's come a long way, Football has a LOOOONG way to go in this country.

FFC Mariner

Atomic said:
Geez... you dont give the public much credit do you? We're blindly lead by the hype machine of the mass media, despite our better judgement.

Kevin 07, the last NSW election................

(I'll get my coat)

LFCMariners

RL and AFL have domestic comps with teams that have been in existence for 100 yeard longer than the A-League.

In terms of 'the public' I am not talking about people who post on here or people in The Cove or The BWB, or the F-Troop etc. I am talking about the sort of people who only watch the Socceroos when the WC is on, the type of people who only attend an A-League match if it's hyped up in the media (as GF's are). The sort of people who say they 'follow' their local team in the A-League but couldn't name more than 3 of the current squad. These are the people who swell crowd figures in the latter stages of the finals.

True, if such people become more dedicated to following our game the better, but should we continue with the domestic season in its' current, potentially farcial set-up just to appease these types?

curious

LiverpoolMariners said:
The extra 20k or so are largely people who come because they are attracted to the media-generated hype about the 'Grand Final'. If we had a traditional league system like Europe, biggesr crowds would flock to the final rounds, believe me. And the 'finals hype' brigade can still go and watch the FFA Cup Final, the media still gets their week of fapping on about a 'Final' of some sort and everyone is happy.
Not much media (or media) hype about in the !921 VFL final series that averaged 40k following a 16 season average.

People AREN'T flocking to the final rounds of the season.
You think people in OZ will flock to ANY match after ( probably not far beyond half way) the majority have been eliminated from any hope of being near the top? What are they going to do, come along anyway because they have a long, proud history of supporting their teams in droves regardless of hope?

Gopher of Pern

LiverpoolMariners said:
RL and AFL have domestic comps with teams that have been in existence for 100 yeard longer than the A-League.

In terms of 'the public' I am not talking about people who post on here or people in The Cove or The BWB, or the F-Troop etc. I am talking about the sort of people who only watch the Socceroos when the WC is on, the type of people who only attend an A-League match if it's hyped up in the media (as GF's are). The sort of people who say they 'follow' their local team in the A-League but couldn't name more than 3 of the current squad. These are the people who swell crowd figures in the latter stages of the finals.

True, if such people become more dedicated to following our game the better, but should we continue with the domestic season in its' current, potentially farcial set-up just to appease these types?

In a word, yes.

Football isn't exactly rolling in the money, whatever draws people to games should be used to gain money. More people will come along to a finals series than a cup competition, simply because they are more familiar with it. That is the way it is, and the FFA can ill-afford to change it.

curious

LiverpoolMariners said:

It's these type that swell the crowds to double or triple the norm. Why must everything be 'England's way' or the 'everyone else does it way', what is wrong with the 'Australian way' in  a peculiar 'Australian market' that caters to a peculiar  'Australian audience'?

An onlooker at times could get the impression some of you guys don't like or are ashamed of anything "Australian'. Fair dinkum.

Atomic

FFC Mariner said:
Atomic said:

(I'll get my coat)

I'll pay that one  :thumbup:

dibo

FFC Mariner said:
Waits for Dibo and the other Commissars to come round my house and kick the doors in..........

You won't know where.

You won't know when.

But we'll take the opportunity to show you how much Dear Leader loves you, and you will love him too.

serious14

dibo said:
FFC Mariner said:
Waits for Dibo and the other Commissars to come round my house and kick the doors in..........

You won't know where.

You won't know when.

But we'll take the opportunity to show you how much Dear Leader loves you, and you will love him too.

There is no loyalty, but loyalty to the party.....

Ted

Always loved my finals footy in both codes (league & football/soccer) and the fact the underdog can upset the apple kart on GF day. but each to their own.  :)

LFCMariners

curious said:
LiverpoolMariners said:

It's these type that swell the crowds to double or triple the norm. Why must everything be 'England's way' or the 'everyone else does it way', what is wrong with the 'Australian way' in  a peculiar 'Australian market' that caters to a peculiar  'Australian audience'?

An onlooker at times could get the impression some of you guys don't like or are ashamed of anything "Australian'. Fair dinkum.

??? I didn't know voicing my disapproval of a post-season cup to determine Championship status would lead to my patriotism being questioned. Fairy nuff.

Is it wrong that groups like The Cove or even our own Coastie Boys have adopted a more 'European' style of support over the fair dinkum Aussie tradition of sit-and-clap-and-only-stand-when-they-score?

curious

LiverpoolMariners said:
Is it wrong that groups like The Cove or even our own Coastie Boys have adopted a more 'European' style of support over the fair dinkum Aussie tradition of sit-and-clap-and-only-stand-when-they-score?
Both have their place according to the wish of the individual. Removing a very popular tradition of a country to force feed the traditions of another is cutting off the nose to spite the face. Take advantage of a popular traditions and don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Paolo

one bit riot cop, police, seccy and tard love in

20933328526711702707436.jpg

20933328526721702707436.jpg

20933328526731702707436.jpg

Jerem

FFC Mariner said:
Atomic said:

(I'll get my coat)

HAAAAA aha very nice!!, gone by 11, my take

LFCMariners

curious said:
LiverpoolMariners said:
Both have their place according to the wish of the individual. Removing a very popular tradition of a country to force feed the traditions of another is cutting off the nose to spite the face. Take advantage of a popular traditions and don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I see the point you're making, but my belief is that we inherited the game from Europe, we have all the same game rules, why not have the same competition format? It's the fairest way to organise it.

Good to see some close-ups of the scuffle in Melbourne's bay- I was right at the other end of the ground so didn't have the best view.

Jimmy

curious said:
LiverpoolMariners said:

TBH the baby is one f**klng ugly kid.

Australian chants are embarrassing.
Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Anyone?

MagpieMariner

FFC Mariner said:
Sydney have achieved their main aim, league champions. What happens now is irrelevant really.

The finals systems beloved of the minor codes are really a copy of the Super Bowl concept which was done to bring 2 warring "conferences" together in the US about 40 odd years ago.

To say it is an Australian tradition is just bollocks really.

Better read your history - finals in Australia have been going from long before the NFL.

When your so-called minor codes (they're not minor in this country BTW, just compare crowd figures) were originally set up (by immigrants from England I would point out) they had finals almost from the start, over 150 years ago.

The AFL/VFL started in 1896 and had finals in the very first year, and they were johnny-come-latelys. SANFL has been going since about 1850.

It would be nice if some of you guys did a bit of research before you come out with utter bollocks like copy the NFL. They haven't been going long enough for us to copy them. I have been following one of your "minor" codes for 55 years, and there have been finals all my life.

FFS if you're going to rubbish something at least learn something about it first. You end up looking like a right galah otherwise.

MagpieMariner

serious14 said:
spike said:
That's cool, not everyone feels the same way, but a vast majority do.

Mmmmmm, 'cause their precious Telegraph tells 'em to.  No vested interests there at all, no sirree bob.

First past the post >>>>>>> Finals.  End of.

Not end of, another f**king galah who doesn't know his history.
The Terrorgraph isn't read anywhere else except Sydney, and there are finals all over the country.

Finals were going long before the current rags started (except the Herald perhaps).

Nobody's asking you lot to like finals, just stop rubbishing what you don't f**king understand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred