• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

#standupforthemariners

LOYALCCMFAN

While I agree that losing 4-5 games is not palatable, the lack of respect issue is an interesting one.

Respect is a two-way street. There are plenty out there who show a marked disrespect for both MC, and now the new man in town. Some of that disrespect is downright suicidal, eg. demanding MC out without any alternative to replace him. I could argue that MC very much respects the fan base, or rather the lack of a big one, and that is driving his agenda.

I hope there are enough fans (and I include MC in that group) that are dedicated to positive ways to improve the clubs bottom line, rather than trying to rip the Club apart, or trying to find conspiracies at every turn.

Well said. MC, management, OSC, fans in general need to work together to fix this. We all want the same thing.

adz

Staff member
While I agree that losing 4-5 games is not palatable, the lack of respect issue is an interesting one.

Respect is a two-way street. There are plenty out there who show a marked disrespect for both MC, and now the new man in town. Some of that disrespect is downright suicidal, eg. demanding MC out without any alternative to replace him. I could argue that MC very much respects the fan base, or rather the lack of a big one, and that is driving his agenda.

I hope there are enough fans (and I include MC in that group) that are dedicated to positive ways to improve the clubs bottom line, rather than trying to rip the Club apart, or trying to find conspiracies at every turn.

I don't think it started out this way. Charlesworth was welcomed and cheered in Kibble Park for our Champions parade, and there was a lot of excitement around him taking over.
But then he started rubbishing everyone from CCF to the fans for not showing up to games.
Giving people an ultimatum, particularly those who feel no connection to the club anyway, is not the right way to get more people to games.
It's not like this came about overnight.

bikinigirl

I don't see the COE as the commitment. Playing home games in Gosford is the commitment.

. i agree ... the problem is that such a commitment has not been made. the number of games continues to be eroded and any talk of commitment from the club always refers back to the coe

Atomic

You seem to have a virtually 100% negative view of management, NOT the club as a whole. I'm not cheerleading MC, I disagree with many of his actions. I just believe that your extreme approach is wrong. We need a financial backer, right now it's Charlesworth and we have to work with that fact. As I said, I prefer to look at what the OSC is doing as a sensible approach and not extremists like you.
My "virtually 100% negative view of management" really only materialised in the lead up to the NSO game. Prior to that, I was prepared to cut MC quite a bit of slack. In fact, there's a post somewhere on these boards where I say I understand the need to take a couple of games south in light of the financial situation we are currently in. However, since the lead up the NSO, the BS coming being fed to the media, the free tickets, the hype etc, I have become much more circumspect about our current management.

In fairness to "extremists" like me, we play a vital role in ensuring that there is transparency in the direction moving forward. "Cheerleaders" (like you ;)) run the risk of having the carpet pulled from under your feet unless you question the motives of the decisions being made in the back office.

I don't see the OSC as being the be-all and end-all of fan engagement with the club. Sensible? Yes. Effective? No (imo). I've seen my fair share of businesses where lip service is paid to the worker (in this case, the fan) yet it's business as usual at the top. We've had numerous public forums where we've been able to voice our opinions and the club theirs… but, alas, here we all are, still bitching and moaning about management and other fans' attitudes etc.

Lawrie showed what true fan engagement can achieve. Couple a continuation of that approach with open and transparent dealings with Northern Sydney, then management would have my support. But I'm not going to put up with MC's response to the OSC's letter, particularly the line about 10-11 games being statistically the ideal number to drive revenue and that the fans run out of money towards the end of the season if there are more than that. Also, there is no link between the MC's investment in the CoE and MC's commitment to the Mariners remaining on Central Coast. Two games a year I can handle… MAX! Anything more than that, then yes… I'm going to kick up a stink!

Atomic

I do get it Atomic. I read the article one way, you read it another. We disagree, it's as simple as that. I am choosing to be optimistic about the recent announcement, you are not. Let's move on.
I'm frustrated because you haven't explained how that article show's MC's commitment to the Coast.

Anyway, let's wait and see how Mr Storrie performs. If, as I suspect, he listens to, but ignores the opinions of the fans, and we play more and more games away from Gosford and our supporter base dwindles, then I will get no pleasure in saying I told you so. If on the other hand, he is a knight in shining armour and leads us to a new dawn, where numbers are up in both the Central Coast and Northern Sydney regions, then I'm sure you will enjoy reminding me of this very conversation in future years.

LOYALCCMFAN

My "virtually 100% negative view of management" really only materialised in the lead up to the NSO game. Prior to that, I was prepared to cut MC quite a bit of slack. In fact, there's a post somewhere on these boards where I say I understand the need to take a couple of games south in light of the financial situation we are currently in. However, since the lead up the NSO, the BS coming being fed to the media, the free tickets, the hype etc, I have become much more circumspect about our current management.

In fairness to "extremists" like me, we play a vital role in ensuring that there is transparency in the direction moving forward. "Cheerleaders" (like you ;)) run the risk of having the carpet pulled from under your feet unless you question the motives of the decisions being made in the back office.

I don't see the OSC as being the be-all and end-all of fan engagement with the club. Sensible? Yes. Effective? No (imo). I've seen my fair share of businesses where lip service is paid to the worker (in this case, the fan) yet it's business as usual at the top. We've had numerous public forums where we've been able to voice our opinions and the club theirs… but, alas, here we all are, still bitching and moaning about management and other fans' attitudes etc.

Lawrie showed what true fan engagement can achieve. Couple a continuation of that approach with open and transparent dealings with Northern Sydney, then management would have my support. But I'm not going to put up with MC's response to the OSC's letter, particularly the line about 10-11 games being statistically the ideal number to drive revenue and that the fans run out of money towards the end of the season if there are more than that. Also, there is no link between the MC's investment in the CoE and MC's commitment to the Mariners remaining on Central Coast. Two games a year I can handle… MAX! Anything more than that, then yes… I'm going to kick up a stink!

I understand your hesitancy about the current management, I have it too. I also would not like to see more than 2 games being played away from Gosford. While I agree Lawrie's engagement achieved a lot for the club, it didn't achieve the financial viability we all need to keep a professional sports franchise here. How about we approach the current management (MC, Storrie, Stadler, whomever) and make our case for true CCM coastal fan engagement coupled with an understanding of the need for financial viability? I personally think the OSC is doing this but perhaps they need help?

Happy New Year!

LOYALCCMFAN

I'm frustrated because you haven't explained how that article show's MC's commitment to the Coast.

Anyway, let's wait and see how Mr Storrie performs. If, as I suspect, he listens to, but ignores the opinions of the fans, and we play more and more games away from Gosford and our supporter base dwindles, then I will get no pleasure in saying I told you so. If on the other hand, he is a knight in shining armour and leads us to a new dawn, where numbers are up in both the Central Coast and Northern Sydney regions, then I'm sure you will enjoy reminding me of this very conversation in future years.

I'm hoping that the numbers will be up in the Central Coast region and that's all it takes. If you have to say to me "I told you so" it will be a sad day for us both.

bikinigirl

I understand your hesitancy about the current management, I have it too. I also would not like to see more than 2 games being played away from Gosford. While I agree Lawrie's engagement achieved a lot for the club, it didn't achieve the financial viability we all need to keep a professional sports franchise here. How about we approach the current management (MC, Storrie, Stadler, whomever) and make our case for true CCM coastal fan engagement coupled with an understanding of the need for financial viability? I personally think the OSC is doing this but perhaps they need help?

Happy New Year!

. are you a member of the OSC?

. i think engagement needs to be with more than the fans. the local association and local businesses need to be engaged (they are not necessarily fans)

Atomic

Happy New Year!
Lawrie's campaign was a hastily cobbled together attempt to get numbers to the game. It was a huge success and gave the club an insight into what can be achieved with the right kind of fan engagement. The club needs to build on this. The Brisbane game wasn't the pinnacle of what can be achieved, far from it. However, it's a start. What it showed to me was how off the mark the current marketing team are in trying to engage the fans. But that all gets back to the management in general.

There are simple things that can be done whilst the difficult things are in the process of being resolved. Even something as simple as getting the crowd figure right would be a good start. If the ticketing system fails… say so. Round the number up to 10,000. It's so simple that when they get it wrong, I get suspicious.

LOYALCCMFAN

. are you a member of the OSC?

. i think engagement needs to be with more than the fans. the local association and local businesses need to be engaged (they are not necessarily fans)

No, I'm not a member of the OSC but I've been in contact with them. If it makes sense and helps, I'll join but I thought being a CCM member would be sufficient. I agree that the club needs to improve engagement across the board. I assume the OSC is championing this cause and needs average fans like me to support them.

Big Al

Everyone understands MC doesn't want to loose money no one does. The problems are his solution is to run to NS instead of trying all of the things mentioned on this forum to engage the local community first.
if everyone saw a sustained effort that failed and then he turned to NS people would be more understanding.
He is very much tell last minute because its bad news. It's classic ASX CEO stuff. If you follow stocks you get a smell for Management teams that talk it up and under perform and those that
Deliver. So far the story changes every time a NS game comes up. There is no sign of any pay off and worse its effecting our current fan base.

As for Sorrie when was the last time a management person coming in for 6 weeks to do a restructure was a good thing. He talks about getting everyone under one umbrella he just doesn't say what that umbrella stands for which is BG and Atomics point. It never states in the article that the umbrella is keeping the mariners on the coast.

If his financial advice is we can get x company to invest heaps but only if you move all games to NSO then that is what he will recommend and they will be off as soon as the contract is signed if its big enough.

scoober

Everyone understands MC doesn't want to loose money no one does. The problems are his solution is to run to NS instead of trying all of the things mentioned on this forum to engage the local community first.
if everyone saw a sustained effort that failed and then he turned to NS people would be more understanding.
He is very much tell last minute because its bad news. It's classic ASX CEO stuff. If you follow stocks you get a smell for Management teams that talk it up and under perform and those that
Deliver. So far the story changes every time a NS game comes up. There is no sign of any pay off and worse its effecting our current fan base.

As for Sorrie when was the last time a management person coming in for 6 weeks to do a restructure was a good thing. He talks about getting everyone under one umbrella he just doesn't say what that umbrella stands for which is BG and Atomics point. It never states in the article that the umbrella is keeping the mariners on the coast.

If his financial advice is we can get x company to invest heaps but only if you move all games to NSO then that is what he will recommend and they will be off as soon as the contract is signed if its big enough.
Also storrie was quoted as saying before the NSO game that the mariners fans should suck it up like west ham fans in the fact of accepting moving from uptown park to Olympic stadium was similar to moving from bluetongue to NSO. Forgot to mention the 1hr distance difference in transport of the two situations.

midfielder

On hols and posting from my phone will add more latter ..
But our club is less than ten years old in former RL heartland. The Mariners are the fourth Football club I have supported..

I suspect if this market is pushed to hard there is not the tradition or history for football on the Coast for it to hold in good times and bad.

mariner72

Many valid points about MC I agree with however what's the alternative? No one else has fronted up with the cash to keep the club afloat and the older regimes of Gorman and Turnbull left the club in financial ruin. It's easy to be critical but what's the alternative? Will the coast community finance the on-going loses?

Atomic

Many valid points about MC I agree with however what's the alternative? No one else has fronted up with the cash to keep the club afloat and the older regimes of Gorman and Turnbull left the club in financial ruin. It's easy to be critical but what's the alternative? Will the coast community finance the on-going loses?
Are there alternatives??? That's the $64,000 question. I suspect there are interested parties but they are (correctly) waiting for the asking price to come down. I don't blame MC for putting a premium on the value of his investment, but any businessman worth his salt will be patient because chances are the price is going to fall, not rise… it's only a matter of time. It's a very cold hearted business.

All speculation on my behalf, of course.

Forum Phoenix

I take the points about being rational and constructive while doing so, but Storrie does worry me. As Wombat said he's the perfect stooge if you want to kick some heads. Hope I'm wrong.

A CCM subsidised by North Sydney is not difficult to grasp. But we have huge examples of how and why it won't work, and nothing to say it will. MC wants a big club. And it isn't something he believes can happen here in isolation. He may be right. However that's not a position almost all CMM fans can or will willingly support - beyond a couple of games. But it's also a different vision if it's about 'big' not just financially viable. I've never cared for 'big' clubs, it's about great clubs; and they can be big, mid, or small. CCM is a great club, that looks to be in danger of diminishing it's greatness by trying to be 'big'.

It's a pity. I've always felt we were going to be a slow cook and the number of kids and families that go to our games vs other demographics boded very well if we can hang on long term and maintain the community engagement.

Last edited:

eenfish

It's a pity. I've always felt we were going to be a slow cook and the number of kids and families that go to our games vs other demographics boded very well if we can hang on long term and maintain the community engagement.

100% agree with this. Slowly build up, engrain ourselves as part of the coast as a club, focus on community engagement. Looking at how Green Bay Packers has become such a pivotal part of the city of Green Bay. I understand there are differences, but that is a model we should be looking at - not the models from English football. The population density of Australia doesn't allow that at all.

mariner72

who said that MC wants a big club? would a viable club suffice? has the OSC asked him as they apparently have dialogue with him and club management. It's a basic question us fans ought to know surely. Are there any plans for MC and management to arrange new fan forums to explain themselves fully as clearly the communication has been mixed to say the least or it is as far as I'm concerned. Good by the way to receive another SMS, all these new initiatives must help.

Atomic

who said that MC wants a big club? would a viable club suffice?
Isn't it human nature to always want more? It doesn't matter who owns the club, viability would be the first goal, but surely a desire to expand, dominate and conquer would be the ultimate goal. As a supporter, I certainly want to be part of a club that is a super power, not just keeping it's head above water.

I think a lot of the concern about our current dilemma is that most Central Coast fans crave viability, as does MC of course… but he has his eyes on a bigger prize and we just haven't (yet) bought into the direction he is taking to get there.

bikinigirl

who said that MC wants a big club?

. he did ... or at least one of the articles linked on the forum quoted him as saying it

Are there any plans for MC and management to arrange new fan forums to explain themselves fully as clearly the communication has been mixed to say the least or it is as far as I'm concerned.

. none that i am aware of ... not that they have helped with clear communication in the past

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred