• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

#standupforthemariners

VicMariner

Why do you think anyone would want to lose money in a venture like CCM? If you were the owner, I bet you wouldn't!
If I could afford it? You bet I would!
I'd view it as a hobby. Millions of people sink a fair portion of their income into hobbies with no hope of a return.

I don't think anyone wants MC to continue losing money if it can be avoided.
Personally I'm worried MC only has his eyes on the bottom line and will destroy the club trying to save it.
Put the club and the fans first and they will back him to the hilt. Money can't buy that sort of loyalty.
Invest in the squad and get them winning, get on the same page as the fans, build tribalism, push the Central Coast against the world mentality and the money will come.

A losing team won't increase crowds.
Pissed off fans won't increase crowds.
I'm yet to be convinced NS will increase crowds.
Fighting with different local bodies won't increase crowds.
Putting money first won't increase crowds. It just makes people suspicious. We're passionate about a football club, not a corporate entity.

Where is MC's passion? The club or the bank?

IMO

mariner72

I'd view it as a hobby. Millions of people sink a fair portion of their income into hobbies with no hope of a return.

Personally I'm worried MC only has his eyes on the bottom line and will destroy the club trying to save it.
Put the club and the fans first and they will back him to the hilt. Money can't buy that sort of loyalty.
Invest in the squad and get them winning, get on the same page as the fans, build tribalism, push the Central Coast against the world mentality and the money will come.

Putting money first won't increase crowds. It just makes people suspicious. We're passionate about a football club, not a corporate entity.

IMO

mariner72

Frankly not sure why anyone owns football clubs especially those destined to lose money, it surely must be passion for the game or something I don't understand. Anyway wishing everyone a very happy new year. Hopefully a better one for Mossy and the boys.

LOYALCCMFAN

People see everything the club does as negative because they don't trust Charlsworth anymore. Instead of talking to fans first about more NSO games he talks to the media. Also his statements can't be trusted. Last year he said only 2 games would be moved to NS and now it's 4-5. He can't be trusted so why would you expect everyone to believe his at his word???

I don't expect people to believe Charlesworth without justification. He and the club need to be clearer about what they are doing and why. I also don't agree with being against
This is fun...

Adz put it a lot more eloquently than I was prepared to, but I will persist…

I just don't understand how you cannot see that the parts of the article you so kindly bolded… DO NOT INDICATE MC'S COMMITMENT TO THE COAST. Yes, it says they want everyone to unite… but unite how? Unite where? They want to focus on the future, not the past. Well the past is a team based at Gosford… what's the future? Talking to the fans and to Lawrie is NOT a commitment to the Central Coast.

ADZ did put it eloquently and rationally. I particularly agree with this comment ADZ makes: “either way, the article does suggest the club is trying things to improve.” Furthermore, this comment from the Storrie article gives me some degree of confidence that the management is sincere when it says that the club will stay in Gosford:
“Peter has a wealth of experience that we’ll be calling on as we continue our drive towards building a sustainable model that can keep the Club based on the Central Coast,” Mr Charlesworth said.
Take the article how you like but I see it as a positive step to improve the club. I’m sure others will give it a chance.

Reactions: adz

LOYALCCMFAN

Say what you will, but single agenda posters have little to no credibility on this forum. That's life. There's not much you can say in your defence that's going to change that unfortunately. We see it all the time, particularly in the CCF Academy thread, where it seems pissed off parents of talentless kids regularly vent their spleens about young Johnny not being selected in a rep side.

I suspect you're doing your cause more harm than good. Someone who so strongly defends their opinion on this one and only issue comes across as a stooge. For someone who wants to express a less extreme, more positive viewpoint, you sure have an odd way of doing it.

I unashamedly have a single agenda and that is to see the club succeed and stay on the Central Coast. From what I understand our agendas are pretty much the same so how does that make me a stooge? My agenda is also the same as the OSC who are continuing to work with the CCM management to get fans’ views heard and addressed. The OSC certainly has a lot of credibility.
http://www.ccmariners.com.au/article/news-osc-meets-with-mariners-management/19utsrv55y0pd15b6wnogolxkg
Your virtually 100% negative view of the club’s management no matter what they do makes you look like a stooge for someone who wants the management to fail.
I feel that adding a more balanced approach to solving our mutual problem (much like that of the OSC) is doing more good than harm.

LOYALCCMFAN

IMO

Maybe he can't afford the losses, I don't know. He's been pretty clear that he wants the club to be viable. I agree with all of your points about how to get things turned around.

Reactions: adz

bikinigirl

. putting aside storrie's history (i don't know enough to comment ... and don't particularly care) ... the article does raise some encouraging signs. but i agree that there is still so many unanswered questions and recent history does not inspire confidence

. as far as i am concerned one of the biggest issues with charlesworth is a lack of interest in engaging with the coast community. it is peculiar that a newly appointed consultant that has probably never even visited the coast states that he wants to talk to the various fan groups - we have been giving him that advice for free for a couple of years now ... maybe if we had have charged him for it he would have listened ;)

. but perception is an important thing ... i can see this as an important step (if it happens), but reading between the lines raises doubt. and most things that the club has done or said recently triggers those cynical or skeptical thoughts ... for example the words used: "talk to them" doesn't fill me with confidence of proper engagement. it is similar to mike's response to the OSC recently which basically came across as 'well where do you want us to move games to'

. once more the article states how the club is commercially weak ... so once more i will state i don't believe this is the fault of the fans ... nor their responsibility to fix. those within the club that are responsible for 'commercial deals' they are the ones that need to be held accountable firstly

. my concern is that the number of relationships that have been broken over the years are not likely to be saved by a foreign consultant coming in and talking to the community - it may be seen as a further display of arrogance and make things even worse

Atomic

I don't expect people to believe Charlesworth without justification. He and the club need to be clearer about what they are doing and why. I also don't agree with being against

ADZ did put it eloquently and rationally. I particularly agree with this comment ADZ makes: “either way, the article does suggest the club is trying things to improve.” Furthermore, this comment from the Storrie article gives me some degree of confidence that the management is sincere when it says that the club will stay in Gosford:
“Peter has a wealth of experience that we’ll be calling on as we continue our drive towards building a sustainable model that can keep the Club based on the Central Coast,” Mr Charlesworth said.
Take the article how you like but I see it as a positive step to improve the club. I’m sure others will give it a chance.
You just don't get it, do you? My original objection is that you said that the TWG article is an indication of MC's commitment to the Coast. It's not. Why can't you accept that? I don't know where you sourced that quote from but it's not from the article in question.

Last edited:

Atomic

I unashamedly have a single agenda and that is to see the club succeed and stay on the Central Coast. From what I understand our agendas are pretty much the same so how does that make me a stooge? My agenda is also the same as the OSC who are continuing to work with the CCM management to get fans’ views heard and addressed. The OSC certainly has a lot of credibility.
http://www.ccmariners.com.au/article/news-osc-meets-with-mariners-management/19utsrv55y0pd15b6wnogolxkg
Your virtually 100% negative view of the club’s management no matter what they do makes you look like a stooge for someone who wants the management to fail.
I feel that adding a more balanced approach to solving our mutual problem (much like that of the OSC) is doing more good than harm.
Given that you keep accusing me of having a virtually 100% negative view about the club and it's management, you obviously have no idea about me or my views. Such generalisations, added to your recent constant cheerleading of MC's decisions, misquoting articles to suit your own point and the single agenda bent to all of your posts makes you appear to be a stooge… and your views should be considered with some scepticism. You and I are very different.

bikinigirl

. i know this has been discussed before but i will throw it out there again ... simply because it keeps being quoted as a good sign of commitment to the coast

. the COE is consistently used as a sign of the mariners 'commitment to the coast' as 'we will remain based on the coast' ... problem is most fans don't visit the training base or head office ... they want the teaming playing on the coast. it is these cleverly chosen words that continue to infuriate people

. of course the club would be crazy to throw away the COE and the public funds that have been invested in it ... but please don't misinterpret that as a commitment to the coast

Atomic

. i know this has been discussed before but i will throw it out there again ... simply because it keeps being quoted as a good sign of commitment to the coast

. the COE is consistently used as a sign of the mariners 'commitment to the coast' as 'we will remain based on the coast' ... problem is most fans don't visit the training base or head office ... they want the teaming playing on the coast. it is these cleverly chosen words that continue to infuriate people

. of course the club would be crazy to throw away the COE and the public funds that have been invested in it ... but please don't misinterpret that as a commitment to the coast
:goodpost:
You are 100% correct BK.

mariner72

-
I may not live on the Coast but I have been a loyal fan since the early years. Just a point of observation from a far albeit Hornsby, do you guys not feel your being used as a political football?

Look at the facts at hand, who has financed the club since those early years? Then look at the FFA's commitment to the Coast and what David Gallop most likely feels about a club being viable up there, will they sustain the loses? NO WAY he never did it for NRL and won't again. A good friend of mine with contacts at the OSC said that the club recently made all financial records since year 1 available and there were staggering loses, I'd like to see these actual figures but assuming its true who do you want to sustain the loses going forward if not MC? Has anyone on the Coast ever contributed to the millions the club loses each year? And here you are moaning about the potential of losing a couple games to N Sydney no different to many other sports clubs around the country.

Sometimes be very careful what you wish for.

Bladesman

The
-
I may not live on the Coast but I have been a loyal fan since the early years. Just a point of observation from a far albeit Hornsby, do you guys not feel your being used as a political football?

Look at the facts at hand, who has financed the club since those early years? Then look at the FFA's commitment to the Coast and what David Gallop most likely feels about a club being viable up there, will they sustain the loses? NO WAY he never did it for NRL and won't again. A good friend of mine with contacts at the OSC said that the club recently made all financial records since year 1 available and there were staggering loses, I'd like to see these actual figures but assuming its true who do you want to sustain the loses going forward if not MC? Has anyone on the Coast ever contributed to the millions the club loses each year? And here you are moaning about the potential of losing a couple games to N Sydney no different to many other sports clubs around the country.

The only return from moving games so far has been a significant drop in fans through the gate. There have been no new sponsors or North shore business people investing.

I also don't undersatand the mentality of we can't attract sponsorship $ whist been a Coast team. It is a national (international) comp and with the Asian Champions league we have a good sponsorship opportunity that we need to be selling a lot better than we do.

Atomic

-

You need to separate David Gallop the man from the position he holds / has held. I.e. The CEO of the NRL is not the same as the CEO of the FFA, even if he same man has been employed in both positions.

And we're not moaning about losing a couple of games to NSO, we're moaning about losing 4 - 5 games. We're also moaning about the club's poor communication, marketing and lack of respect for the fan base… and seemingly laying the blame for the first two on the latter.

LOYALCCMFAN

You just don't get it, do you? My original objection is that you said that the TWG article is an indication of MC's commitment to the Coast. It's not. Why can't you accept that? I don't know where you sourced that quote from but it's not from the article in question.
I do get it Atomic. I read the article one way, you read it another. We disagree, it's as simple as that. I am choosing to be optimistic about the recent announcement, you are not. Let's move on.

MrCelery

You need to separate David Gallop the man from the position he holds / has held. I.e. The CEO of the NRL is not the same as the CEO of the FFA, even if he same man has been employed in both positions.

And we're not moaning about losing a couple of games to NSO, we're moaning about losing 4 - 5 games. We're also moaning about the club's poor communication, marketing and lack of respect for the fan base… and seemingly laying the blame for the first two on the latter.

While I agree that losing 4-5 games is not palatable, the lack of respect issue is an interesting one.

Respect is a two-way street. There are plenty out there who show a marked disrespect for both MC, and now the new man in town. Some of that disrespect is downright suicidal, eg. demanding MC out without any alternative to replace him. I could argue that MC very much respects the fan base, or rather the lack of a big one, and that is driving his agenda.

I hope there are enough fans (and I include MC in that group) that are dedicated to positive ways to improve the clubs bottom line, rather than trying to rip the Club apart, or trying to find conspiracies at every turn.

LOYALCCMFAN

Given that you keep accusing me of having a virtually 100% negative view about the club and it's management, you obviously have no idea about me or my views. Such generalisations, added to your recent constant cheerleading of MC's decisions, misquoting articles to suit your own point and the single agenda bent to all of your posts makes you appear to be a stooge… and your views should be considered with some scepticism. You and I are very different.

You seem to have a virtually 100% negative view of management, NOT the club as a whole. I'm not cheerleading MC, I disagree with many of his actions. I just believe that your extreme approach is wrong. We need a financial backer, right now it's Charlesworth and we have to work with that fact. As I said, I prefer to look at what the OSC is doing as a sensible approach and not extremists like you.

LOYALCCMFAN

I don't see the COE as the commitment. Playing home games in Gosford is the commitment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred