• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Stadiums thread

Sean

Sifting through Architecture sites being the student I am, found this wicked stadium to be built in Portsmouth (for 600 mil) designed by one of my favourite firms Herzog & De Meuron (Allianz Arena).

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/06/30/herzog-and-de-meurons-portsmouth-stadium/#more-12155

hmstadium1.jpg

hmstadium2.jpg

hmstadium3.jpg

stad-interior.jpg

aerial2.jpg

Thoughts?

Please feel free to add to this thread with your favourite stadium, a cool design whether built or proposed.

Sean

Yep.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7953616.stm

Arabmariner

Should've been canned anyway due to it looking like a massive carbuncle!

I sometimes wonder what some of these architects are on when they come up with stuff like this.

Sean

what would you guys have? heres a chance to discuss what you think is good design of a stadium

clarence

Unless you are an architecture or engineering type student or boffin, this sort of thing is very pie in the sky for most of us.

I do like symmetry in a design. 4 separate stands making one stadium (of differing heights and age) does not cut it for me. I like an integral design , I suppose you could call it. Some of the English stadia have evolved rather than designed and there's pockets of their stadia that has very obstructed views as the two stands meet, one being taller than the other and what not.

I like what was done to Lang Park. It's a  good stadium to watch Football, close enough to the action. A lot of European and Asian stadia have athletics tracks around the outside of the pitch, that's also a no no for me.

I am hoping that in the future when it's time to redo the SFS (someone mentioned here it was due for demolition and reconstruction in 2018?), that they do the stadium in that boxed sort of design so the noise of the crowd stays in & the atmosphere can get electric.

bjw

bjw
eindhoven_philips1.jpg

simple, relativley small, with a roof going all the way around.

perfect for the coast imho

Sean

Lang Park is an amazing stadium, I really enjoyed going there in February to watch us lose. I loved how there was no real way of telling the structure was a stadium until you were at the gates, and then bang five metres away is the edge of the concourse and the seats sloping down to the field. Great experience.

I actually like SFS, I have enjoyed both the times attending football matches and other events there. The sound travels well and when you have a crowd in there its electric as its close to the action.
From outside the roof is even better, spending a fair whack of time in that part of Sydney you can understand how the structure fits into its surrounds with the low sweeping roof sitting close to level eye height of paddington etc. Pub crawling through Paddington to the stadium is also a great experience as you get the views or glimpses from the terraced lanes as you head to the ground (similar to what most of the English football stadiums are like) - I really like that aspect of a stadium.

serious14

Favourite stadiums that I've been to (no real order):

bangkok_rajamangala1.jpg

Rajamangala National Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand - rustic, almost communist-esque charm about the place.  Ridiculously exposed to every element possible, but there's just something oh so loveable about it.  The slope on the non covered side is really steep, so the view of the pitch is excellent no matter where you sit/stand.

brisbane_suncorp2.jpg

Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane - most of you have been there, and you all know how awesome it is in every respect.

tianjin_teda2.jpg

TEDA Stadium, Tianjin, China - I'm jealous that TEDA get to play in this every second week.  Truly world class.

SFS is a sentimental favourite as well, I've lost track of the amount of times I've been there, and it's never disappointed.

reddevils

I've luckily been to "The Theatre of Dreams" and "White Hart Lane"
(Pictured) and experienced the first hand atmosphere and got to see my favourite Manchester United line up play of 99/2000 season.
Nice Thread !  ;)

dru

1/ something that doesn't cost 600 mil
2/ Steep stands with good sight lines
3/ roof all around

If I could take things from some of the stadiums I've been to, well then lets get started by raising the stands at least a couple of metres above the pitch (like Wellington or Okayama), couple this with  steep stands and the view from the ends is seriously improved.

Enclosed areas under the stands, we waste so much room at bluetongue that is empty that could be bars, food or gambling outlets, with entrances to the bays into the middle of them rather from the top.

The Lights from Tianjin Teda stadium, Seriously we could play at 3am no worries with those things ! :0

Rails/walls that banners can be hung off, please.

Turn styles that take you directly into the section of the stadium your sitting in, ie seperate gates for away section, Upper grand stands, lower gran stands and northern concourse.

clarence

goingtoadisco said:
i would like to start with a stadium with four sides, anything else is a bonus !

Agreed I do like the whole ground sides used. That said though, our palm trees do add a certain quirkiness to our Stadium.

serious14

dru said:
The Lights from Tianjin Teda stadium, Seriously we could play at 3am no worries with those things !

Hahaha, remember pre-game when we thought they were on..... then they _actually_ turned them all on. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark.  ;D

marinerbhoy

loftus road. went to watch QPR and Palace. you can almost touch the keeper. i love the feel on community in local stadiums such as that. i liked how the stadium is hidden amongst the houses. you walk down loftuse road ans then suddenly the goal end of the stadium pops out. i could barely fit through the gates to get in. i wish i could post my photo but i dont know how.

nissan stadium in yokohama is good deserves a mention, have to disagree about rajamangala. it was good, but not great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred