• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Second Sydney Team

Bear

Wont happen IMHO, ever. Quote me saying that if it ever happens, and I will stand corrected

LFCMariners

Greenpoleffc said:
It wont happen but I would love it (just love it) if they dropped the finals.

League Champions is what matters everywhere not the winner of a made for pay tv cup comp.

With the extra rounds that another 4 teams will give u (33 perhaps) we dont need it anyway.

Pity theres no chance though

I agree totally. On this month' cover of Four Four Two is a pic of Man Ure raising the EPL trophy on one side and the Scum raising the toilet seat on the other. My second thought (my first was "What side of the page will I spit on first?") was why it wasn't a pic of the Mariners winning basically the same award Man Ure picked up.

My idea would be to have the season as it is, but the Finals series shortened to a sudden-death comp called the 'Champions Cup'. The incentive of the Premiers is to stamp their authority once and for all, and for the other 3 teams to salvage something out of the season and win a spot in the ACL. The winners of this would be labelled the Champions Cup Winners. As it is, it's not right that the FFA has emphasis on the GF, as virtually no other league in the world has this, because football is too close a game where one single ref's call can decide the match, unlike in AFL and League. That's why winning a season of football is more important than winning a game of football.

Bex

Bearinator said:
Wont happen IMHO, ever. Quote me saying that if it ever happens, and I will stand corrected

What, you're not going to offer to eat your shirt? ;D

Jesus

Jesus
Finals matches are too popular. Both for crowds and tv audiences. They add more excitement.

The FFA should put more emphasis on the premiers. But the Finals series should never be scraped unless it fails to give the 3 things it currently does as mentioned above.

Arabmariner

Jesus said:
Finals matches are too popular. Both for crowds and tv audiences. They add more excitement.

The FFA should put more emphasis on the premiers. But the Finals series should never be scraped unless it fails to give the 3 things it currently does as mentioned above.
Given time and promoted the right way the quarter finals,semi finals and the final of an FFA Cup would be just as big.
Just like the FA Cup we could still have the big glamour day at the end of the season when there is always the chance one of the seasons also rans could have their day in the spotlight.

By that time the real champions will have already been crowned.

A system which allows a team to finish 4th in the league (they could be 10 pts behind ffs) then win a couple on the trot and be crowned champions is a f**kin joke.

Oh and there's no Grand in final either!  :headbutt:

~Floss~

Australian media and the general public treat the FA Cup like a grand final; gets more mainstream attention than league.

FFA Cup early in the off-season, instead of finals series, would keep most interests happy IMO

dibo

FFA cup semi finals on boxing day, final on australia day.

you know it makes sense.

Arabmariner

dibo said:
FFA cup semi finals on boxing day, final on australia day.

you know it makes sense.
:goodpost:

So good crowds for the semi finals and we know who the finalists are weeks before giving them plenty time to sell their tickets.

And because the finalists are already known we can concentrate on the fight for the league title and give it the attention it deserves.

nero

The crowds for the Finals series are always the best for the season and we need to keep them. I like the idea of having an ACL tournament/ finals series.

Make the title winners of the Aleague the Australian Champions with a big shield trophy. Pick top 4 or top 5 teams and play off for 2 or 3 ACL spots and a Grand Final winner,with a  trophy smaller than the premiers plate.

Auburn Mariner

In answer to Jesus' question about how the finals would look with 12 or 14 teams, I'll tip this:
10 or 12 teams, Final 5.

Game 1: Week 1, 5 v 4 Elimination final, 4's home ground
Game 2: Week 1, 2 v 3, Qualifying final, 2's home ground
Premier gets week off

Game 3: Week 2, Minor Semi-Final, Game 1 winner v Game 2 loser, whichever team finished higher in the premiership's home ground. This is sudden-death.
Game 4: Week 2, Major Semi-final, Premier v Game 2 winner, Premier's home ground. This is a double-chance final.

Game 5: Week 3, Preliminary Final, Game 3 winner v Game 4 loser, higher finisher's home ground
Game 4 winner gets week off

Game 6: Week 4, Final, Game 4 winner v Game 5 winner, Game 4 winner's home ground.

This is the traditional Final Five. Premier, runner-up and third place get the double chance. 5th gets NO home finals.

Premier is assured of two home finals.

2nd, 3rd and 4th assured of one home final.

2nd and 3rd get second home final if they get into the final first via winning the Week 2 Major Semi.

Now, if they go for 14 teams, we'd get a Final 6. For this we'd use the McIntyre Final 6 system, which looks like this:

Round 1
Match A, 1st Elimination Final. Rank 4 v Rank 5
Match B, 2nd Elimination Final. Rank 3 v Rank 6
Match C, Qualifying Final. Rank 1 v Rank 2

Round 2
Match D, 1st Semi Final. Loser C v 2nd highest ranked winner from A, B
Match E, 2nd Semi Final. Winner C v 1st highest ranked winner from A, B

Round 3
Match F, Preliminary Final. Loser E v Winner D

Round 4
Match G, Final. Winner E v Winner F

Hope that this makes sense.

Jesus

Jesus
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:

Given time and promoted the right way the quarter finals,semi finals and the final of an FFA Cup would be just as big.
Just like the FA Cup we could still have the big glamour day at the end of the season when there is always the chance one of the seasons also rans could have their day in the spotlight.

A system which allows a team to finish 4th in the league (they could be 10 pts behind ffs) then win a couple on the trot and be crowned champions is a f**kin joke.

I am not saying a cup could not be as popular.
But why would they get rid of something as popular as the finals?
Why wouldnt they have the cup final on say boxing day as has been mentioned before, and the finals after the season?

Arabmariner

Jesus said:
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:

Why wouldnt they have the cup final on say boxing day as has been mentioned before, and the finals after the season?
I understand that the finals series is popular but an FFA cup could replace that.I think if we have both one will detract from the other.

Having the final on Australia day would be a huge event and then the last few weeks of the season would be left free for the run in for the league title.

The league champions would then get the attention they deserve.

On another note I wouldn't give a place in Asia to the cup winners either......a trophy is sufficient there......Asian champions league spots should go to the League champs and the runners up imo.

Jesus

Jesus
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:

I understand that the finals series is popular but an FFA cup could replace that.I think if we have both one will detract from the other.

Having the final on Australia day would be a huge event and then the last few weeks of the season would be left free for the run in for the league title.

On another note I wouldn't give a place in Asia to the cup winners either......a trophy is sufficient there......Asian champions league spots should go to the League champs and the runners up imo.

Cup winners would be far better suited to the later stages of the ACL than league winner. If the cup is to be taken seriously needs to have an ACL spot as a prize.

I am not sure that the premiership would have so much interest in the later stages of the season if there were not teams playing off to make the finals. I think Australia is a different proposition than europe in that sense.

But my major reason for backing the finals is they are popular and very exciting. You can do that twice a year with a FFA cup final finished earlier in the year.

Otherwise people would say the uefa cup detracts from the ECC, or the FA cup, or even the league finishes.

FFC Mariner

I reckon this is just being talked up by SFC who are abso-f**king-lutely desperate to keep a W Syd franchise out of the comp.

Their MB's are almost universal in demanding Wollongong.

W Sydney must be a better target market for when we go from 10 to 12 teams

Arabmariner

Jesus said:
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:

Cup winners would be far better suited to the later stages of the ACL than league winner. If the cup is to be taken seriously needs to have an ACL spot as a prize.

I am not sure that the premiership would have so much interest in the later stages of the season if there were not teams playing off to make the finals. I think Australia is a different proposition than europe in that sense.

But my major reason for backing the finals is they are popular and very exciting. You can do that twice a year with a FFA cup final finished earlier in the year.

Otherwise people would say the uefa cup detracts from the ECC, or the FA cup, or even the league finishes.
I think Jesus we will have to agree to disagree on the need or otherwise for a finals series.

You have obviously been brainwashed by years of listening to thugby league media types who think a 3 or 4 week cup comp should overrule a whole season! ;)

scottmac

Suspended
Jesus said:

It can also be argued that finals promote a poor brand of football in which the emphasis is on not losing the game rather than winning it. The only time you will see highly entertaining football in finals is after a mistake is made and a team is forced to fight to get back in the game. eg last years Scum v Qld.
The reason for no finals is easy, it just isn't football! It's only hear to placate the audience in Australia which has been brought up on the importance of one game over the whole season.

Jesus

Jesus
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:
Arabmariner said:
Jesus said:

I think Jesus we will have to agree to disagree on the need or otherwise for a finals series.

You have obviously been brainwashed by years of listening to thugby league media types who think a 3 or 4 week cup comp should overrule a whole season! ;)

At no stage did i say it should overrule the season. Just that why get rid of your most popular event?

Like when premier league managers suggest that there should be no euro, or world cup.

I dont think that we should stick to conventions, whether they be european or australian. We need to find what works best for us.

I think having the league, the finals, the cup and the acl (and possibly the CWC) is the best possible situation for football in this country. I think the cup and finals will bring about more interest than league games. But ultimately the league is most prestigeous.

ACL and CWC are bonuses but it will be some time i think before these games create much enthusiasm from viewers outside the participating teams.

We will see i guess with adelaides ACL finals push.

scottmac said:
Jesus said:

It can also be argued that finals promote a poor brand of football in which the emphasis is on not losing the game rather than winning it. The only time you will see highly entertaining football in finals is after a mistake is made and a team is forced to fight to get back in the game. eg last years Scum v Qld.
The reason for no finals is easy, it just isn't football! It's only hear to placate the audience in Australia which has been brought up on the importance of one game over the whole season.

Finals football is just like cup football. They are 2 different brands of football. There is much more importance on individual games in cup football. Which bring about more excitement from the score, than the game itself often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred