• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Second Sydney Team

FFC Mariner

Bearinator said:
And they want a 2nd team in Sydnay, HA

Talking to people out West (past Parra), they hate SFC and are desperate for a team to support. @nd team in W Sydney would be bigger than the Bling on day 1

marinermick

Greenpoleffc said:
Bearinator said:

Talking to people out West (past Parra), they hate SFC and are desperate for a team to support. @nd team in W Sydney would be bigger than the Bling on day 1

exactly, the people of western sydney should not be punished because of the poor administration of sydney fc in not connecting with the local football community

their branding is also shithouse - how the f**k do you market a "FC" to kids and families? the sydney supporters constantly bag out the roar name, but at least they have strong branding and strong colours and their crowds have been excellent considering they have not performed as well as sydney on the field

also, the people in western sydney would be more loyal and less fickle

FFC Mariner

marinermick said:
Greenpoleffc said:
Bearinator said:

exactly, the people of western sydney should not be punished because of the poor administration of sydney fc in not connecting with the local football community

their branding is also shithouse - how the f**k do you market a "FC" to kids and families? the sydney supporters constantly bag out the roar name, but at least they have strong branding and strong colours and their crowds have been excellent considering they have not performed as well as sydney on the field

also, the people in western sydney would be more loyal and less fickle

Sadly dont think it will be out of Parra, I'm gonna bet CUA stadium in Penrith and backed by Panthers. No old Sokka connection and big games at ANZ (possibly)

nero

Apparently the CEO from Bing FC want a few more years without a 2nd Sydney team. They are talking up south coast instead of Western Syd.

If Bling don't get their act together soon they will struggle to find new supporters when western Syd and south coast come into the comp.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/nowhere-to-hide/2008/08/15/1218307231322.html

Auburn Mariner

Why is Parramatta Stadium a bad idea? Good stadium, all seated, direct rail links from Campbelltown, Penrith & Richmond, a big club next door, very good surface.

I was there (with Omni & Kevrenor) for the Sydney FC-Persik Kediri match in the ACL, and it seemed to be a purpose-built football stadium.

The alternatives are Campbelltown Stadium (not central enough for a Western team) or Penrith Stadium (reasonable place, not a patch on Parra, central, massive club next door).

The grass hill would be a worry, especially if Yellowbeard, Stoppa, Fish & I decided to play British Bulldog or, and this is my VERY favourite, Kill the Dill with the Pill (whoever has the ball, smash 'em). The entire Hill would fall like ninepins. Excellent!!!

If a Western Sydney franchise had brains and money, they would build a Skilled Park-sized stadium RIGHT NEXT to vacant space at either Rooty Hill or St Mary's stations.

Bear

David,

Its a bad idea because, in the season opener, Sydney could only bring in 16,000 people to the "biggest rivalry" in the a-league, and Parramatta stadium is to close to the home of Sydney FC. For the good of the league, the next Sydney team needs to be based further away than Parramatta.

Auburn Mariner

Mitchell,

Your point is acknowledged. However, may I offer the following:

As far as people who live in the Palm Beach-Bundeena coastal strip live, Parramatta is LIGHT YEARS away. People from the eastern seaboard get lost one kilometre past the University of Sydney, and THAT is in Redfern & Camperdown.

From what I can gather, Sydney FC's base come from close to the City.

Parramatta is 23km from the GPO at Martin Place. It is roughly 30 minutes by train. As a resident of a moderately western Sydney suburb, I am VERY confident that if a Western Sydney side was based at Parra, it would not be too close to SFC's base and that true westies would travel there willingly.

Wherever the ground is located, it MUST be accessible to the greater Western Sydney population, which both Penrith & Parra Stadiums are. Blacktown is actually the most central place for this area, but it does not have a decent stadium close to transport.

Atomic

I just wonder whether CUA at Penrith is too far west??? I'd imagine it would be chaos with the majority of the supporters coming from suburbs to the east (Blacktown, Parra etc).

Can u imagine what derby day would be like on the trains? The Cove and The Westies sharing a carriage all the way out to Penrith... It would be interesting but I suspect the derby would be at ANZ, so it's a moot point.

PS. I just realised how off topic this has become... but I'm just following the thoughts of those b4 me :)

dru

Atomic said:
I just wonder whether CUA at Penrith is too far west??? I'd imagine it would be chaos with the majority of the supporters coming from suburbs to the east (Blacktown, Parra etc).

Can u imagine what derby day would be like on the trains? The Cove and The Westies sharing a carriage all the way out to Penrith... It would be interesting but I suspect the derby would be at ANZ, so it's a moot point.

PS. I just realised how off topic this has become... but I'm just following the thoughts of those b4 me :)

The majority of people will drive considering the amount of parking available at pokie central (panthers). I'm pretty sure that the majority of people drive out there for the NRL games and I certainly wouldn't be catching the train to a game out there. given the M4 and the M2/orbital tollway pretty much anything from parramatta west will be easy to drive on anything but a friday night.

The other problem with Parramatta is if they base themselves out of the leagues club again they will probably have the stupid situation of not being able to wear football shirts in the club as was the case with the power.

Bex

With Kewell and Blacktown council on side, a new stadium near Rooty Hill may find plenty of funding and it would make a lot of sense. At the crossroads of the M4/M7 and with rail transport at the door, it would be an easy trip for anyone in Western Sydney.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Sydney FC game already. My kids can't make it so I'm bringing my sister and brother in law who have never been to an A-League match. They follow the Swifts whose season has just finished so perhaps they'll forget that bloody aerial ping pong this season and watch some real football :)

FFC Mariner

Demented Freak said:
God damm, you're all debating the location of Peter Turnbull Heartland FC already, it's bad enough on our forum as is.

Hehehehehe. Bigger money than his behind the "proposed" Penrith bid I believe?

Blackadder

Auburn Mariner said:
Why is Parramatta Stadium a bad idea? Good stadium, all seated, direct rail links from Campbelltown, Penrith & Richmond, a big club next door, very good surface.

I was there (with Omni & Kevrenor) for the Sydney FC-Persik Kediri match in the ACL, and it seemed to be a purpose-built football stadium.

The alternatives are Campbelltown Stadium (not central enough for a Western team) or Penrith Stadium (reasonable place, not a patch on Parra, central, massive club next door).

The grass hill would be a worry, especially if Yellowbeard, Stoppa, Fish & I decided to play British Bulldog or, and this is my VERY favourite, Kill the Dill with the Pill (whoever has the ball, smash 'em). The entire Hill would fall like ninepins. Excellent!!!

If a Western Sydney franchise had brains and money, they would build a Skilled Park-sized stadium RIGHT NEXT to vacant space at either Rooty Hill or St Mary's stations.

Auburn the very thought of yourself going like a madman down the Hill at Parramatta is enough to rule that out straight away.  :piralaugh:

IMHO Penriff would be the better option for the Bogans MKII, far enough West to capture the Western Sydney basin and not as much as a impact on the Hills district etc which leaves it open to the Mariners, or Smurf FC if they got their act together and connect with the community.

clarence

I've already said that maybe the way to go re: another NSW based team would be to have a consortium of syndicates spreading from southern highlands, western Sydney and maybe even the ACT and base the main stadium out at Campbelltown. I feel that the amount of territory that would cover for business opportunities, sponsorships, junior association linkups etc. would eneable that A-League club to develop into a super power.

If that isn;t to happen a western Sydney team should have nothing to do with folks having to travel city bound, and have a stadium in their heartland. If a stadium at Rooty Hill as mentioned above won't be built then the Penrith joint would do nicely (although I wonder what the heat would be like out there in the middle of summer, and the cost of folks having to drive there).

This match this weekend gives a great opportunity to grab 3 points and put Kosmina under pressure. Unless he resorts to bashing up our players like when they were down 3-0 at the last home match, we should be able to get up. Bridge I suspect will be back, maybe Musialik and Popovic. So it won't be so easy as Melbourne had (gee didn't they stuff up a royal chance of 3 points?).

dibo

Why on earth would you play out of several widely spaced grounds? The strength of the regional clubs in the A-League thus far (Central Coast, Newcastle, Wellington*) has roots in a loyal and devoted fanbase. When the population to draw from is small, you cant afford to only feed them 3 or 4 times a year. They need a steady diet to grow strong bases. Leaving aside the existence of other teams, if the Central Coast team were playing some games out of North Sydney, some out of Newcastle and some out of Gosford it would never have survived. Thered be a catchment of some 2 million people, but nobody would actually care enough to bother showing up reliably.

*Wellington may be the capital, but its smaller than any of the other capital city A-League towns by a long way.

clarence

dibo said:
Why on earth would you play out of several widely spaced grounds? The strength of the regional clubs in the A-League thus far (Central Coast, Newcastle, Wellington*) has roots in a loyal and devoted fanbase. When the population to draw from is small, you cant afford to only feed them 3 or 4 times a year. They need a steady diet to grow strong bases. Leaving aside the existence of other teams, if the Central Coast team were playing some games out of North Sydney, some out of Newcastle and some out of Gosford it would never have survived. Thered be a catchment of some 2 million people, but nobody would actually care enough to bother showing up reliably.

*Wellington may be the capital, but its smaller than any of the other capital city A-League towns by a long way.
I take it that this is in response to my previous post. So I will offer a short-ish reply.
As we have seen here, gaining sponsors in regional areas is a more difficult task than Sydney metro.
Likewise, the economic base of the western Sydney area, has been classified for many years , as 'working class', 'battlers' etc. but has a wealth of young juniors playing there and some businesses that may be receptive to sposnsoring a team.
My reason for wanting to combine a southern highlands, western sydney and perhaps even an ACT syndication together is to ensure the long term viability of another A-League franchise , and one that will encounter competition from Sydney FC. While, at the moment, the FC boys can't run a piss up in brewery, they have wealth behind them, and so it seems, some immense political clout within the FFA. Put up a western Sydney franchise or an ACT franchise up by themselves and there could be long term viability issues arising IF Sydney FC starts getting it's act together.
Combining the regions together, drawing from all those businesses and junior associations in those areas, should make Sydney FC's task of playing dirty against them a fair bit harder.

But hey, it's only my opinion, and you are right in saying there may be some loyalty issues amongst the fan base of such a broad based franchise. And travelling to and from a place like Campbelltown isn't going to make some folks happy.

Bear

clarence said:
As we have seen here, gaining sponsors in regional areas is a more difficult task than Sydney

Mariners have more sponsors than any other team in the league

Just saying

Paolo

clarence said:
dibo said:

I take it that this is in response to my previous post. So I will offer a short-ish reply.
As we have seen here, gaining sponsors in regional areas is a more difficult task than Sydney metro.
Forgetting that we have plenty of sponsors....and if my memory serves me correctly one of the most sponsored clubs of all codes in australia

dit: bear beat me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred