• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Scotland's Greatest Team

Teddy Bear

Currently being shown in Scotland. Public voting for Scotland's greatest team in a 4-4-2 formation. 1967 to present

Nominations found on:
http://sport.stv.tv/greatest-team/

Goalkeeper and Manager nominations revealed on 8th April

So far my picks:

McGrain Greig Miller McNeill
Johnstone Baxter Cooper Gemmill
Dalglish Law

Arabmariner

I'd go David Harvey in goals.

We've hardly been blessed with top keepers....even when we were good our keepers were usually pish.

Remember Stewart Kennedy TB ?

Harvey

Jardine Miller McLeish McGrain

Johnstone Baxter Souness Robertson

Dalglish Law

Manager Stein

Arabmariner

Teddy Bear said:
Kennedy - Overshadowed by Peter McCloy.
I dunno........McCloy never gifted England 5 goals at Wembley !

The one lasting memory I have of Peter McCloy was his torpedo dive (arms by his side as he flew through the air) in an away tie against PSV Eindhoven.

Arabmariner

Jaza_SFC said:
I did think about him but went for the club pairing of Miller and McLeish which is exactly what happened to much debate on numerous occasions at the time.

I remember the English media (Jimmy Hill possibly) saying that comparing Willie Miller and Alan Hansen was like comparing a cart horse with a thoroughbred.

Hansen was a class player in a top Liverpool side but his style never really went down that well with the Scottish fans.He used to cop a lot of flak at Hampden.

midfielder

Teddy Bear said:
Currently being shown in Scotland. Public voting for Scotland's greatest team in a 4-4-2 formation. 1967 to present

Nominations found on:

So far my picks:

Dalglish Law

How come only two names starting with Mc ... you sure this is a Scottish side...

Arabmariner

midfielder said:
Teddy Bear said:

Nominations found on:

So far my picks:

Dalglish Law

How come only two names starting with Mc ... you sure this is a Scottish side...
One of the great myths MF...........

It's funny but Aussies with Scottish backgrounds seem to love all that stuff......."my great grandfather came from Auchentoogle.....he was a McTavish (or whatever)"..... ;)

Truth is very few of my friends at school or work mates were Mc's.

Another great myth is all that kilts and bagpipes nonsense.......most of us cringe at all that stuff except where it's appropriate like Scotland v England at Wembley...  ;D

starfish

Pity Frank Haffey (keeper in Scotland's 9-3 loss to England in 1961) was playing for St George and Hakoah from 1967 onwards - surely he would be first choice as keeper  :)

ps Frank is living quietly in retirement on the Gold Coast. Despite the above dig - he was one of the best keepers to come to Australia.

Teddy Bear

Team selected by the public taken exactly from the web site:

Dalglish  Law
Cooper Souness Bremner Johnstone
  McGrain McLeish Miller Jardine
            Goram
Stein

Arabmariner

Teddy Bear said:
Team selected by the public taken exactly from the web site:

Dalglish  Law
Cooper Souness Bremner Johnstone