• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 27 - City Away

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Welll, that’s was a confused mess...wtf was Staj doing ? Played Snake on his wrong side , Tommy up the back, Jem was in headless crook mode ... actually most of em looked like it was pre season and had just met one another (again)
Time to burn it down and rebuild (again) hopefully they start the rebuild from the top though, cause quite frankly if the club has to do it they best do it now , another season of utter dross and the joints cooked

nebakke

Staj with a rememberance round for Mulvey.

And the utter frustration on ONeill. He is a very dirty player when loosing. He mustbbe so pissed off he came here.

It's not the prettiest thing to watch, but he was also f**king hounded all night...I swear they identified him as a target and smashed him every chance they got... I was surprised it took as long as it did for him to blow up, I'd have decked someone before half-time if I was him. We were shit tonight but City were dirty as f**k and o'Neill saw his fair share of their attention. I'm dead-certain they figured we've had a history of reds this season so they went out to see how many guys they could piss off and get sent.
Same with the Matty thing - nobody seemed to notice, but the whole thing started with Schenkeveld deliberately walking up to elbow Matty in the back, the rest flowed from there... It was obvious on the replay but the commentators missed it... It's no wonder, for a team lead by Scott Jamieson - he makes angry Matty look like a choir boy.

Tevor

It's not the prettiest thing to watch, but he was also f**king hounded all night...I swear they identified him as a target and smashed him every chance they got... I was surprised it took as long as it did for him to blow up, I'd have decked someone before half-time if I was him. We were shit tonight but City were dirty as f**k and o'Neill saw his fair share of their attention. I'm dead-certain they figured we've had a history of reds this season so they went out to see how many guys they could piss off and get sent.
Same with the Matty thing - nobody seemed to notice, but the whole thing started with Schenkeveld deliberately walking up to elbow Matty in the back, the rest flowed from there... It was obvious on the replay but the commentators missed it... It's no wonder, for a team lead by Scott Jamieson - he makes angry Matty look like a choir boy.
The constant reference to Simon in the stoush should be used by the club as the blatant bias against the club. Absolute disgrace how they tried to make out Simon was the instigator. They knew they could get away with fouling us out of the game and stopping any counters and the ref totally obliged. Not sure how this is rectified next season as it will cost us points no matter how much we improve. I blame the club as we are such a joke everyone treats us that way.

Forum Phoenix

That's a massive understatement.

I don’t think that second goal by Harrison was an easy stop at all.

Looked like he would shoot with his right but instead it was just a tiny tap on to his left and stroked it around Pearce, very classy finish imo. But I have only watched it the once and could have it wrong.

So I didn’t think Pearce could do anything about the other ones, claimed the ball well, so criticised him for what seemed appropriate, terrible distribution.

But anyway, I’m not interested in starting the Pearce fan club., clearly need a better number one and with that distribution probably a better number 2 as well.

Forum Phoenix

The constant reference to Simon in the stoush should be used by the club as the blatant bias against the club. Absolute disgrace how they tried to make out Simon was the instigator. They knew they could get away with fouling us out of the game and stopping any counters and the ref totally obliged. Not sure how this is rectified next season as it will cost us points no matter how much we improve. I blame the club as we are such a joke everyone treats us that way.
So true. Though I still blame the crap officiating and fox pundits pathetically obvious biases as well.

Pirate Pete

Anyone know why Birighitti wasn't playing last night when they rested Galevokic?
He hasn't played all season. Waste of talent on the bench.

Cricko_086

So true. Though I still blame the crap officiating and fox pundits pathetically obvious biases as well.
The first replay they showed had the original elbow in it. The following replays left that part out and focused on mattys response. How was that not a yellow atleast? Colour of the jersey I guess

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Welll, that’s was a confused mess...wtf was Staj doing ? Played Snake on his wrong side , Tommy up the back, Jem was in headless crook mode ... actually most of em looked like it was pre season and had just met one another (again)
Time to burn it down and rebuild (again) hopefully they start the rebuild from the top though, cause quite frankly if the club has to do it they best do it now , another season of utter dross and the joints cooked
I'm a bit concerned, because Staj's comments in an article I read today don't seem to reflect that it was an experiment - it seemed to indicate he went for the best he could with the players available. So......if that's the case......is that just tinkering by a coach who hasn't had time to learn the players yet and mucked it up? Part of the price of bringing in a coach late? I'm optimistically thinking that's the case

Last edited:

Wombat

I get confused by the posts i read here. All week i read shit about Staj should be playing Kek, Miller, Nisbet and Glassock and the 7yo kid from Lisarow plaza that juggled a ball in the carpark. Obviously if you play the juniors you will get flogged.
We get flogged and suddenly maybe Staj is no longer the man for the job..............WTF.

Our squad by the end of the season was a f**king joke. We had maybe 2 or 3 players that are starting quality in HAL.....Tommy H got a skinny pass and O'Neill and Jem got D-.

That shit quality is not on Staj.

Forum Phoenix

I get confused by the posts i read here. All week i read shit about Staj should be playing Kek, Miller, Nisbet and Glassock and the 7yo kid from Lisarow plaza that juggled a ball in the carpark. Obviously if you play the juniors you will get flogged.
We get flogged and suddenly maybe Staj is no longer the man for the job..............WTF.

Our squad by the end of the season was a f**king joke. We had maybe 2 or 3 players that are starting quality in HAL.....Tommy H got a skinny pass and O'Neill and Jem got D-.

Agree. I think he got it wrong in how he tried to fix the line up. But that was mostly on our lack of depth, quality and last game meets a poor mentality. We began ok but definitely crumbled once they scored. And we were so poor going forward.

Anyway, I've seen enough to be happy to give Staj a contract and confident he's the best coach since Arnie we've had. Maybe not the highest bar. But from here on it's clearly all about recruitment and preseason.

Most important season in our history coming up I think. Which makes this the most important preseason in our history also.

marinermick

But he didn’t play the juniors did he? Glassock and Nisbet were at home and Kek and Miller came on later.

In fact, when Miller came on and Clisby and snake moved to their proper positions we looked far better.

Why not just start Miller or Glassock then instead of disrupting your whole backline?

Insertnamehere

didnt we just lose 5-0 playing 'first team' players?
i would have rather seen 4 or 5 kids get game time than anyone leaving.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Soo....figured I'd post. And I did that think again where I wound up with a stupid long post. But hey, not like you have anything else to read in this thread :p

Was good to put a few faces to forum names at the game. @Josho Howe, @NoDiggity, @priorpeter, couple of others that were there - great having a beer with all of you that were there!. Started off at the Y&J (of course), made our way over. Was good to see Shaun Mielekamp make an appearance to look after us as well.

Haven't been to a game down here for quite a long time - I tend to be either interstate or overseas when the game is on - man, I completely forgot what a terrible, terrible view it is from the corner at AAMI. Really can't see a thing there.

I don't know what the crowd figure was, but I'd have a had time believing anything more than 5k, and that's being generous. Just dismal - and the first time we heard ANYBODY sing from the home team was after the first goal. Their support is just dead. And really - your team is in the finals, it's a guaranteed win, it's a Friday night late enough to go after dinner after work - what's the excuse?

As for the game...we kept our spirits up through the first half. Had some fun singing/laughing at the MCY subs warming up in front of us, they were getting a good laugh out of it too - and really, isn't that what it's all about? Teasing opposition bench, all taken in good humour, just great.

Understandably, we struggled to keep that up in the 2nd half. By half time were were all hurting badly. We didn't really talk too much about expectations, but I think the worst case scenario was maybe 2 down, competitively. And like I said before - MCY have never really dominated us through this whole dark period. In fact, we usually have pretty even games they just finish where we don't.

So to lose the way we did...yeah, that hurt. It really did. I think that finishing in a high would have mattered - both with the members, and potentially even with signings (though really, only if Staj is signed). As it so happens, we played a couple of good games and got smashed....to some it may look like nothing's changed.

I think we just have to remember that coming in late season as a coach is extremely difficult - especially in a team which started off poor on paper and got worse with the players that left (although we now have Jem....pleeeeeeeeeease stay!) - but also because of the mental effect; our confidence has been zero for much of the season, which is why we kept blowing leads and we'd get destroyed once we start conceding. It's ALL confidence. And that probably screwed us this game. I don't know if we put pressure on ourselves again or what happened.

I had some concerns, because our structure was a disaster. No surprises that the structure we had didn't work - players were simply in the wrong position. So, is that a tactical failing of Staj, or is that simply the effect of a coach coming in, late in the season, and not really knowing the players well enough - that is to say, had he been here longer he wouldn't have made the same position decisions? Part of me worries it's the former (and given our run of coaches, who can blame me? Especially as Mulvey seemed to have no idea where some of our players were supposed to play) but then I remember his history with the Matildas. So, I figure it HAS to be the latter.

I don't think we had a single shot on target all game, which takes us all the way back to Okonball. That's a worry.

Our defence and mid....lot of errors. That first goal, players got turned inside out...embarrassing to watch. And that one where Wales absolutely schooled Hiariej - players unmarked in the middle. Lot of that happening. I don't know - how much of those individual errors (losing your player) are attributable to being out of position? I don't feel like playing in the middle when you're normally on the left, or something like that, justifies that sort of thing - after all, as a defender you're going to be marking and shutting down anywhere across the line. So, it wasn't just the structure. For whatever reason, we were making bad individual errors, and a lot of them. Structure along with the confidence? Who knows. The corner is such a poor view that it's kind of hard to really tell what went wrong.

It's a shame, of course, that the last game of the season looked a little like the last game of last season that didn't actually happen. Maybe it hurt more because we've started to play well and we won last week and we had hope? Maybe it just hurt because a game that bad SHOULD hurt. Heck, if it hurt it shows we still give a damn.

I know a lot of people on here are probably avoiding bothering with a post-mortem on that game, which is understandable. I know despite a lot of pain, a lot of anger, a lot of hurt - probably even a few tears - the people that really drive this forum will be back. We'll still have a lot of people that try to make noise every week, that try to keep the support going. And I know that, despite our better judgement, we're going to be excited when the new season comes around. We're all going to be dying to get out of this slump. It might take a couple of seasons to be a force to be reckoned with again, but I think if we were even just out of the top 6 next year, that will start to restore the faith. But, lot of things need to happen before then. We've all discussed what we want next year, many times.

To everyone that takes the time and effort to post on here, to discuss and promote the team in casual conversation - thank you. To the admins - thank you.
To everybody that puts in additional time and effort to any of the active support or getting any game-day events running - thank you.
Everyone that is completely unknown to any of us, that will never see this, but keep turning up week in, week out - thank you. Heck, if you've only been able to make it to 1 game this season - thank you. to those that have gone to the tremendous effort and expense of an away trip - thank you.
To the loyal members who haven't forgotten mariners 'til I die - thank you
To the players who have suffered deeply through the season (and who often aren't getting much support on here either) - thank you.
To the club and all the staff that keep driving everything forwards - thank you.
Of course, I can't forget @Coast Football Ramble - thank you for the podcast. Honestly, even though it's Mariners I wouldn't listen to it if you guys were crap but you guys do a killer job, and don't do a lot of the crap things too many other podcasts do that piss me off.

Basically, to everybody who has anything at all to do with promoting or supporting the club and team - thank you, and we'll see you all next season!!!
(and also - thanks to anybody who is still actually reading at this point!)

And for the real passionate supporters in particular, the ones that keep things driving on here and on facebook - we also have the ability to make a difference to how people perceive the club and team, how engaged they are, how willing they are to keep the faith. We may all have criticisms over individual elements within the club/team, even sustained elements, but we all still passionately follow the yellow and navy. So let's all support each other through the offseason - and anybody else that is aching to see the success come back.

Because it will be back.

MARINERS WILL BE BACK

You better bloody believe it.

:pirashoot::pirashoot::pirashoot::pirashoot::pirashoot::pirashoot::pirashoot::pirashoot::pirashoot::pirashoot:

Ozhammer

Great post Cap’n, straight from the heart and I hope someone at the club takes the trouble to read and share it. It is the fans that have to bear the stigma of failure heaviest of all, as they are the ones that will always be there.

I am not someone who subscribes to unnecessary optimism, especially after the suffering of the last five seasons and Staj will have to prove himself worthy as far as I am concerned but the thing I am pinning most of my hopes on is the increased involvement of Anton Tagliofero, as this might finally allow some better decisions to be made.

The off season will no doubt be a mixed bag of news and the club’s intent for season 15 should become apparent to us all fairly quickly, so we can only hope that those developments allow some much-needed positivity to build into pre-season.

Note to MC: please don’t derail our season with another publicity sideshow. Just let the football department focus on its core mission, so that it can do all it can to deliver us a truly competitive football team for the next campaign.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred