• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 2: Mariners v Nix

FFC Mariner

You don't get too many owners going on socials being that open, the comment stood out with it's detail on players compared to the normal trash talk then I realised who it was. Also said the club lost $50k on the wash out match, not great but beyond everyone's control.
2 words:
Pluvius insurance

Allreet?

I do remember Sains playing RB and marking Broich who gave him a bath.Sains looked totally out of his depth and at the time I felt his career was finished .In that game I think Arnie left him on the field for the whole game( I may be wrong here) .

A season or so later Sains was playing CB and Broich had partly changed his role for Roar,playing more as a 10 or withdrawn striker.Sains blotted him out of the game and we had a rare success against the Roar.
Was that a stinking hot day when we spent the first ten minutes passing the ball around the back - getting Berisha to run like a mad thing - until he just stopped?

Brilliant tactics by Arnie that day. Years later I asked Hutcho about it and he remembered it instantly - said that indeed was the plan - to tire out Berisha and then start playing football. I seem to remember he was replaced fairly early also. Think we won 1 - 0 - very rare result for us in those days.

JoyfulPenguin

I think if we had played the Jets last week we would have won.

Another week of match sharpness would have seen us deal with the Nix's defensive and reactive play a lot better. Kaltak's and Kelechi John's nerves on the ball early on put us on the back foot, with us having rather negative possesion through most of the first half because of it.

A lack of confidence in combinations in our midfield and to take players on also contributed. There were countless opportunities to rip through the Phoenix with some quick combination play from Nisbet/Balard/Beni/Silvera that we looked to afraid to persue. It clicked better in the back end of the first half and early second half but a game last week would have solidified our combinations and dispelled some of the nerves.

Ayongo's own goal is another clear representation of that, a lack of confidence/understanding in other players in our side was the direct cause of that goal, which luckily will only improve with time.

We also clearly ran out of legs in the second half, which will only improve with more matches. Nisbet and Balard were more than capable of controlling the game when in possession, but struggled to wrest control back of possession when we capitulated the ball in the second half. Something that should once again improve with time.

It definetly feels like two points lost rather than a point gained but I think there were a lot of positives to take out of the match, the Phoenix are a far stronger side in Wellington and we will only improve with time.

true believer

i think ballard wasn't that bad . his fantasy points also backs this up .
we definitely have defensive issues .
hard decisions this week at training or well get found out again

Big Al

Faz's runs are getting a bit predictable and reminds me of ccm of old, gets 10m inside their half, stops, passes back. I'd like to see him take someone on and be a bit more attacking.
Simply not his game or skill set and I think the game plan if he doesn’t have someone open wide or inside us to recycle to the otherside via the CB’s

Yorkshire Mariners FC

Faz's runs are getting a bit predictable and reminds me of ccm of old, gets 10m inside their half, stops, passes back. I'd like to see him take someone on and be a bit more attacking.
He had no one to pass to as Silvera had gone walkies into the middle of the pitch and little movement in front of him, especially in the first half. The lack of a CM (besides Niz) is going to be the problem. Ballard is not there yet though he has potential. This was another avenue cut off to pass to, so he had to play the annoying backwards pass. Not sure what the answer is but they have a lot of work to do mid week.

Corsair

He had no one to pass to as Silvera had gone walkies into the middle of the pitch and little movement in front of him, especially in the first half. The lack of a CM (besides Niz) is going to be the problem. Ballard is not there yet though he has potential. This was another avenue cut off to pass to, so he had to play the annoying backwards pass. Not sure what the answer is but they have a lot of work to do mid week.
Don't pass then, try to take their right back on. I've seen him do it quite effectively at times and the only way he'll improve is if he tries it. Miller got better at this by practising. I thought Monty might have switched Beni to the left at some stage, we didn't seem to have many attacks there.

shipwreck

Don't forget Nixs game plan is always to sit deep and let you have the ball, so by the time it got played to Faz he had their entire midfield and a striker cutting off passing options.

I agree the back pass got old, but Nix are just they type of team

pjennings

Don't pass then, try to take their right back on. I've seen him do it quite effectively at times and the only way he'll improve is if he tries it. Miller got better at this by practising. I thought Monty might have switched Beni to the left at some stage, we didn't seem to have many attacks there.
Early on he tried to go outside the right back. Now he cuts back and he often then has to pass back. He just needs to mix it up a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb