• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 11 thread

dibo

we've had shitloads of nicknames for them

smurfs
lowy fc
bling
former bling
aloisi fc
bluescum
blueshite...

there are more, and frankly they're better in my view because they don't require an explanation of the history of it.

Atomic

OK, we'll have to agree to disagree. None of the names you suggest are better than the Choppers IMO. The fact that Choppers may require an explaination to the uninitiated makes it even more special in my eyes. Why dumb ourselves down? Why appeal to the lowest common denominator? Why not create a bit of history and tradition? "Oh, they're blue... lets call them smurfs... at least we wont have to explain why".

Here's a couple of examples off the top of my head... Why is Everton referred to as the Toffees? Why is the Kop called the Kop?

I'd still like to know what Paolo wants to call Sydney

dibo

in on topic news, GC is up 1-0 through a deflection from a first half Culina free kick. Jelic was denied a stone cold penalty shout at the other end on 50m or so.

dibo

and as soon as howarth equalises, smeltz pops up to make it 2-1 after two glory defenders take each other out and joel porter sends smeltz in at the far post.

Atomic

Rees missed a golden opportunity. Great save by Velaphi... but Rees is in my fantasy team :( lol

Blackadder

Atomic said:
OK, we'll have to agree to disagree. None of the names you suggest are better than the Choppers IMO. The fact that Choppers may require an explaination to the uninitiated makes it even more special in my eyes. Why dumb ourselves down? Why appeal to the lowest common denominator? Why not create a bit of history and tradition? "Oh, they're blue... lets call them smurfs... at least we wont have to explain why".

Here's a couple of examples off the top of my head... Why is Everton referred to as the Toffees? Why is the Kop called the Kop?

I'd still like to know what Paolo wants to call Sydney

Amen,  SFC to me will always be the Choppers after that game at BT all about the history and not dumbing it down just to the simplest.

Arabmariner

Atomic said:
Why is the Kop called the Kop?
Most UK grounds in the old days had a "kop" or "Spion kop" to give it it's full name........it wasn't unique to Liverpool.

Something to do with the terraces resembling the scene at a battle in the Boer war !

And I don't mind Choppers either.Anything derogatory to them is ok by me  ;)

Forum Phoenix

Jest played some good football, will not be easy beats next week.
But I think we look defensively better than Victory.
However we will need our midfield to keep providing goals.
When they do, we convincingly win. When they don't... Matty may nick the odd one and we draw, or otherwise we lose.

Nice to see Perth go down as they have not deserved the 10 points they have gotten form the last 4 weeks. Ironically they played better than they have most weeks and lost ;D

Gold Coast looked ordinary still. We have beaten them both.
And I believe we are better than both these teams.

Re Bling Aloi$i FC
I thought Choppers suited them under Kosmina especially.
But under Vitislav, they don't play like choppers.
Though Collosimo is certainly a flying elbow machine.

All in all, like Arab I don't really care what we call them as long as it's derogatory.
Funny thing to debate about... seems a little like the South Park ep of Poo sandwhich V Giant Douche to me.

douges

What are people's thoughts on Ufuk Talay's move in NQ's match against the phoenix?
I didn't see the game but from the foxsports highlights: http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/video/0,,A-League_18086,00.html
66th minute - Wellington player injured and needs attention
Drop ball not contested by Wellington
Talay puts McBreen through on goal, one-on-one with keeper but misses high

The highlights don't show who was in posession at the time but if uncontested by Wellington...
It looks like poor sportsmanship from Talay  :redcard: .
Anyone see the game and have more details?

Cheers.

Kareem

goingtoadisco said:
Well NQ had possession. so i cant really see why not ?
+1
honestly
stupid crap by Wellington Pheonix. I wish NQ had of scored.
I mean honestly. Unless NQ said "we're gonna give the ball back to you!" (which is stupid considering they had possession) then Nix are having a cry over nothing!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred