• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rnd 1: Perth Glory v CCM

Luca Brasi

Apparently as the players left the field trailing 3 - 0 Okon said to Faty - I am going to pull you off at half time. Faty said - Great, we only used to get an orange at Sydney FC!
boom boom.

I always watch the game again before commenting once I am less emotionally involved.
3 appalling fails from Faty. First one Roux gave away a free in the middle third and did not slow the kick down, he was caught out of position and Glory had all the time in the world to provide the perfect delivery to Taggart. Second one Perth had broken and had a 3 on 2 on the same wing and time again to deliver. This one landed 5 yards out so perhaps Ivan failed as well. For the penalty as somebody else said, all he had to do was put his head in.
The back four did not seem compressed enough in defence, especially the two CBs. When one of them committed to the wing the DMs did not seem to cover. Monty seemed to be less involved in disrupting play and was more involved in attacking down the right in support of Trent. There were few inside options once we went down the wings, it was either go forward or recycle back. Tav, Monty and Powell all guilty of giving up possession. Perth hit the cross bar and had a disallowed goal so it could have been worse.
That said we created about 7 or 8 attacking opportunities through Trent, Monty, Roux and Pain. About 30 min in there was a great passage of play where we kept possession for 15 passes and made 3 crosses, Pain missing with a header.

The second half saw us with more possession as Perth sat off a bit. Tav got more space and started doing more with it, he was running the show and MOM IMO. Roys first goal started at our 18 yard box, 7 passes later in the back of the net. If that was Sydney they would be fapping over it. Roy started coming deeper and receiving and providing the service for Pain. Keogh still had 3 one on ones that half, one from Neill giving it away, the other 2 from an absence of a DM structure (I understand we were chasing the game however it was the same in the first half). We could have had another penalty for a hand ball in the 60 min, and Reddy saved a certain goal from Roy in the 82 min.

I agree with Monty and the corners, 6 ? taken and 1 ok, I think it also contributes to the DM structural problems. I dont think Faty was injured and has to start against SFC and just hope it was just the debut from hell. Back 5 needs big work in structure and communication so hopefully Jolic can earn his pay and fix this.

Tevor

Powell should be happy as Opta have him recorded as scoring the Reddy og, whilst I like Blake I would prefer to see that goal recorded as coming of Reddy's head. Don't recall even seeing Blake touch the ball I thought it was just a clearance by the defender into the back of Reddy's head. Let's see they might amend the stats yet.

Ancient Mariner

Ok time for my two pennies worth.

I was very impressed with our attack in both halves. Also very good ball retention. As someone else mentioned earlier if we have the ball the other team cannot score.

The defence was abysmal. Faty copped the blame for a lot but he was not Robinson Crusoe. We were playing with two dms but they did not provide much in the first half. Tavares was excellent in the second but in the first did not look too interested. Our full backs were ordinary. I am prepared to cut Storm a fair bit of slack but I have not been convinced by Micky Neil since he was injured. I think he is definitely out of position and probably would be better as a dm. Our squad is definitely unbalanced. Hopefully we can find some more backs in January.
I was worried by Ivan's lack of coming forward. Yes he made some great save but from watching it on tv I thought there were some balls into the box that he should have come out for.
Defence needs a lot of work.

Was impressed by:

1) Pain, I think we got the better deal in the swap with Austin. Time will tell, hopefullly both can develop in their new environments.
2) Roy, I suspected last year he could probably be the best striker in the A League. Hopefully this year he will confirm my suspicions. I hope the club gets him signed for a couple more years before other clubs realise this.
3) Budgie, what a great step up from what I saw last year, he is going to terrorise oppositions and make Fab work hard for his spot.

Hopefully in the future in the majority of our games we can score more goals than we leak.

When I was a boy following a different football code it was thought a new coach used needed three years to go get peak results. The first year to sort out the mess and seperate the wheat from the chaff, the second year to bring in new players and create a team and the third year to win. I think at last we have chosen a real coach who has some cred. I am prepared to listen to Ange rather than look at rep team results from the past. You only have to look at Ange's and Arnie's A league results compared to their early rep team efforts.

I am hopeful we have found another quality Australian coach. Time will tell.

Big Al

I'm thinking Faty got his cork when he entered the dressing room and got jumped by Paul.

Watched a couple of minutes today on a reply after the 3rd goal and he seemed to be moving fine (slow but that's just him).

The only time he even went near a Glory player was the penalty so as suggested Paul may have been covering him with the media.

Give him another go because if he can't get up for a SFC game he never will and we will know straight away not to bother and move on.

I also don't think Pain was that great, think he can be a lot better. Which is great

Big Al

Can someone get Monty to actually smack a corner with the laces rather than the little dinks he was hitting on Saturday? They were just skidding in when you want them pounded into the area.
Yeah another major hole in the squad. Free kicks and corners.

Crossing has been ordinary for a while and we aren't much of a threat.

When we got the free kick at top of box, was like who is going to hit that. Roux actually hit is pretty well which surprised me.

shipwreck

Fab usually takes the corners doesn't he??

Montys efforts were painful to watch, floating into the area without a care in the world, a goalkeepers dream to pluck out, way too long to judge the flight.

ballantyne

Can someone get Monty to actually smack a corner with the laces rather than the little dinks he was hitting on Saturday? They were just skidding in when you want them pounded into the area.
High and curling, it's the only way.

nebakke

Finally got around to re-watching the game last night... Wasn't brilliant, but certainly wasn't a disaster either... For starters I don't think Necevski has gotten near enough credit... I'm not saying that Keogh shouldn't have buried at least one of those shots, but at the same time there's no denying that it was more than luck that lead to Necevski blocking most of his attempts - the rest is a bit like an LBW... You're making assumptions about where the ball would have gone, had the goalie not been in place.
I'm still trying to work out wth was going on with Faty... I was wondering whether they had been told to play really offensively and whether that is why he was sitting so high.. I mean, a couple of times he was pretty heavily involved in the attacking movements in the Perth half - not even like he was sitting at the back screening, but actually running around almost at the edge of their field.... Sort of like we were converting to something like 253 or 262 when in attack - I'm sure someone with a better understanding of the tactics would be able to explain ;)

On a whole though, while they definitely pulled us apart from time to time, there weren't too many of the "little" mistakes from last year, which was a nice change... There were occasions of almost-panic and there were situations where the boys just didn't do well enough, for sure, but there were almost none of those weird brain snaps, that would happen at least once per game, last season... At least I didn't spot any... The closest I can think of, was Faty giving away the pen - and for now at least - I think that's more down to indecisiveness than any sort of frustration or more general snap.

As has already been said here, Monty and Tavares definitely need to be "on" from the start this weekend though, if we're to have any sort of chance... It was weird actually seeing Monty caught ball watching several times in the first half, I don't remember ever seeing that happen before. Hopefully it really was just a bit of rust and they'll start how they finished.

I'm normally pretty heavily on the side of blind optimism, but I have to admit that I struggle seeing us do better than a point against Sydney, and even that is probably optimistic, but gee it would be nice... There's still some hope :)

Forum Phoenix

Okon thought they were shell shocked by the goal, went into their shells and became timid.

I like that he didn't tear into them at HT rather told them they had to be brave, risk and just do what they had been working on. Worked.

Last edited:

nebakke

Okon thought they were shell shocked by the goal, went into their shells and became timid.

I like that he didn't tear into them at HT rather told them they had to be brave, risk and just do what they had been working on. Worked.

Yeah - I liked Pain's description of them resolving NOT to be that team from last year, at halftime... It implies an appreciation of what is at stake both for their careers and for the club.

Rowdy

Screenshot_2016-10-14-00-19-13-1.png

Central Coast striker Roy O’Donovan believes the side’s 3-3 comeback draw with Perth Glory was worth more than a win.

The Mariners fought back from a three-goal half-time deficit, with the Irishman netting twice in the dramatic result.

It was a serious morale boost for a club record who set record lows last season as they finished rock bottom with the wooden spoon.

“The point against Glory was worth more than a win, just for morale and confidence and the way we’re playing,” O’Donovan said.

“It’s a good start for me, for the team and hopefully we can take it into Saturday against Sydney.”

Among the Mariners best performers were new signings Connor Pain and Blake Powell, along with 18-year-old Trent Buhagiar.

O’Donovan said, under new coach Paul Okon, these types were in the perfect environment to succeed.

“Monty (captain Nick Montgomery) and I were chatting and we’ve never seen such a hungry group of lads,” O’Donovan said.

“Really young, ambitious and hungry.

“It’s the right coach for us at this moment in time.

“He wants to push us, challenge us. It’s going to pay dividends in the long run.”

Rowdy

“Monty (captain Nick Montgomery) and I were chatting and we’ve never seen such a hungry group of lads,” O’Donovan said.

NOT surprised after what they witnessed with Caceres, Fitzy & especially Austin.

Okons arrival sounds like a whole new 'culture-shift' is taking place within this squad. :thumbup:

Timmah

Rowdy loving the articles you're posting but is there any chance you can share where they come from? Would love to know the sources of who/where is writing about us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred