• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Review of 2013/14.

bikinigirl

Great work so far BG but your appraisal of Reddy sounds like Scrooge saying he loves Christmas.

He had an outstanding season in a rather average team. I can only remember one bad game (against Wellington) all year.

Give credit when it's due.

. i can't hide from the fact that i didn't want reddy at the mariners, but i also can't hide from the fact that he had a great season and deserving of a contract extension ... but ...

It is a tough ask to follow Maty though.

. maty's distribution set the tone for the whole team

bikinigirl

"Ultimately Justin was brought undone by one major embarrassment … letting a back-pass trickle across the goal line".
I get annoyed when I read this nonsense; hating Reddy just brings out blind prejudice (and apologies to BG whose opinion and posts I respect and enjoy). Pasfield was directly responsible for four goals conceded by the Mariners; two in round two against the Heart and two in round four against the Jets. That is four goals conceded in four rounds; it was the accumulation of errors that cost him. No professional football club which has two keepers genuinely competing for the one spot would allow Justin Pasfield to retain his position. Reddy, having been signed on his last chance, had to be given that chance after Pasfield opened the door.

. which is why i said ultimately ... because ultimately that is what brought him unstuck ... or caused him to become unhinged

bikinigirl

The Backs (part 1)

There was major upheaval at the back this season, something we were quite unaccustomed to. Pedj had defected, Patrick had retired and before long Sains had moved to Europe. With Josh the only ‘surviving’ member of our rock solid defence … it was always going to be an uncertain transition.

Storm Roux

At the start of season it was difficult to know what to expect … but Storm made the right back position his own. He was praised by the fans but occasionally copped a little flak for any defensive misdemeanours. I think this is partly due to the high expectations he set via his performances … we also need to remember some of the players he was up against … and they rarely slowed his attacking forays.

He balanced the HAL, ACL & NT commitments pretty well considering this was really his first full season. Technically he appears superior to past right backs and has shown a calm head in attack - which I can’t recall from a right back - with some intelligent assists. We should look forward to more of the same.

Hayden Morton

A tough season for Hayden affected by injury. He was a strong chance of the starting right back position by pre-season reckoning but Storm got the chance and didn’t let go. As indicated the season previous, he should serve as an adequate replacement if called upon.

Trent Sainsbury

We all knew it was only a matter of time before Trent moved on to bigger things – we just hoped to hang on to him as long as possible. It was a tough start to the season too with new partners in the centre and out wide … with a few different options being tested at CB. We also had a couple of ‘new’ keepers at the back, so the fact Patrick wasn’t there to ‘guide’ him has been overstated I think … it’s not like those in front of him were making things simple either.

If Trent had have stayed I think our season would have ended even better if he was able to build confidence in and of those around him. His class and ability coupled with a relaxed and clear thinking mind should have seen him on his way to Brazil but injury soon after his move abroad has cruelled that unfortunately, but he should he should see other opportunities – he has age on his side.

Zac Anderson

Big Zac was not always in favour but did play consistently enough to become the preferred (right) CB. Initially I thought the big fella was a little concerned he may hurt someone and was perhaps too ‘stand-offish’ in defence … but hey, everybody was lacking confidence early on.

‘Those’ shorts will live long in the memory … but I can’t help but feel he needs to spend less time adjusting his hair on the pitch.

I think he really started to come into his own when we had Monty drop back helping the defensive line. He had more confidence and opportunity to attack the ball, an important tactical change because his sheer bulk could bring him unstuck if he over-commits. It will be interesting to see the tactics adopted next season and how he continues to develop.

Marcel Seip

On balance it is pretty unanimous that Patrick was Arnie’s best signing so when his big-dollar off-season signing was another Dutch defender there was hope of good things. But it is fair to say Seip has been rather underwhelming and not just in comparison to Patrick – he has failed to hold a regular spot in the side and actually saw us signing a mid-season replacement in Bosnar.

When played out wide he actually appeared more comfortable, but not worthy or replacing either back – in fact Sim would seem a better substitute … and by all reports for far less money. He scored a cracking goal in the ACL which ultimately was not enough to see us through to the next round … but one good goal is not enough.

One way or another I hope the Mariners can realise some value from Seip because we can’t afford to have a well-paid foreigner sitting on the bench or in the stands, but sadly he deserves no more at the moment.

sydmariner

The Backs (part 1)

There was major upheaval at the back this season, something we were quite unaccustomed to. Pedj had defected, Patrick had retired and before long Sains had moved to Europe. With Josh the only ‘surviving’ member of our rock solid defence … it was always going to be an uncertain transition.

Storm Roux

At the start of season it was difficult to know what to expect … but Storm made the right back position his own. He was praised by the fans but occasionally copped a little flak for any defensive misdemeanours. I think this is partly due to the high expectations he set via his performances … we also need to remember some of the players he was up against … and they rarely slowed his attacking forays.

He balanced the HAL, ACL & NT commitments pretty well considering this was really his first full season. Technically he appears superior to past right backs and has shown a calm head in attack - which I can’t recall from a right back - with some intelligent assists. We should look forward to more of the same.

Hayden Morton

A tough season for Hayden affected by injury. He was a strong chance of the starting right back position by pre-season reckoning but Storm got the chance and didn’t let go. As indicated the season previous, he should serve as an adequate replacement if called upon.

Trent Sainsbury

We all knew it was only a matter of time before Trent moved on to bigger things – we just hoped to hang on to him as long as possible. It was a tough start to the season too with new partners in the centre and out wide … with a few different options being tested at CB. We also had a couple of ‘new’ keepers at the back, so the fact Patrick wasn’t there to ‘guide’ him has been overstated I think … it’s not like those in front of him were making things simple either.

If Trent had have stayed I think our season would have ended even better if he was able to build confidence in and of those around him. His class and ability coupled with a relaxed and clear thinking mind should have seen him on his way to Brazil but injury soon after his move abroad has cruelled that unfortunately, but he should he should see other opportunities – he has age on his side.

Zac Anderson

Big Zac was not always in favour but did play consistently enough to become the preferred (right) CB. Initially I thought the big fella was a little concerned he may hurt someone and was perhaps too ‘stand-offish’ in defence … but hey, everybody was lacking confidence early on.

‘Those’ shorts will live long in the memory … but I can’t help but feel he needs to spend less time adjusting his hair on the pitch.

I think he really started to come into his own when we had Monty drop back helping the defensive line. He had more confidence and opportunity to attack the ball, an important tactical change because his sheer bulk could bring him unstuck if he over-commits. It will be interesting to see the tactics adopted next season and how he continues to develop.

Marcel Seip

On balance it is pretty unanimous that Patrick was Arnie’s best signing so when his big-dollar off-season signing was another Dutch defender there was hope of good things. But it is fair to say Seip has been rather underwhelming and not just in comparison to Patrick – he has failed to hold a regular spot in the side and actually saw us signing a mid-season replacement in Bosnar.

When played out wide he actually appeared more comfortable, but not worthy or replacing either back – in fact Sim would seem a better substitute … and by all reports for far less money. He scored a cracking goal in the ACL which ultimately was not enough to see us through to the next round … but one good goal is not enough.

One way or another I hope the Mariners can realise some value from Seip because we can’t afford to have a well-paid foreigner sitting on the bench or in the stands, but sadly he deserves no more at the moment.
:goodpost:

Wombat

. i can't hide from the fact that i didn't want reddy at the mariners, but i also can't hide from the fact that he had a great season and deserving of a contract extension ... but ...

THERE ARE NO BUTS BG.......REDDY WAS CLEARLY OUR BEST PLAYER AND WITHOUT HIM WE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE BOTTOM 3.

It's a fact......you don't have to like him and he doesn't have to like you....but you have to give credit where its due.

Roy Law

The Backs (part 1)

Storm Roux

Hayden Morton

Trent Sainsbury

Zac Anderson

Marcel Seip

One player no longer with us, one who did not play all season and one who just wasn't good enough shows just how difficult the job of rebuilding the defence will be for Moss next year. The moving of Monty to the back could be an intriguing solution to the problem.
Nice work BG; can't wait till you hit us with the goal shy attack ;)

bikinigirl

The Backs (part 2)

Brent Griffiths

Griffiths the younger had an on-again-off-again season … quite literally on occasion. He has shown some ability and may have actually suited us playing with only four in the defensive line (a CB pairing of Anderson and Bosnar may ‘need’ the assistance of Monty).

He was given a couple of opportunities to prove himself and it was not so much that he made mistakes which let him down … it was more the magnitude of those errors – just as Pasfield was punished for his, so was Griffiths.

I am not sure if nervous over-confidence, panic or simply poor choices are to blame … but he is at a point in his career where these errors can define his career. It is almost as if he needed to disregard why Mossy ‘said’ he was picked and take some safer options to give himself a chance.

Eddie Bosnar

One thing I think the Mariners have always lacked is a bit of a nutcase, sure Matty and Hutch can play the clumsy hardman … but I think Vukovic was the closest we came to having someone a little unhinged. Eddie could be that guy. His commitment to hard-tackling, an apparent urge to injure people with his free-kicks and the intense, blank stare of a madman … is a near perfect foil for his ‘boy next door’ partner Zac.

As a mid-season signing and an experienced professional he came with a reputation and the hope that Craig Foster would finally see something he liked at the Mariners, but his start was slow. He looked well short of fitness and my concern was that this was age or injury related … but as his fitness improved, so did his overall game. His free-kicks are entertaining if a little predictable, hopefully he can scare a few teams into conceding.

Eddie seemed to benefit the most from Monty shifting back during defensive manoeuvres because as his madman persona indicates he may be more of an act first, think later kinda guy – certainly keeps the oncoming offensive guessing.

Josh Rose

One of the few constants in the team, it is easy to expect that same consistency week-in-week-out. A few were starting to question that consistency during the first half of the season and although not looking for excuses there were a couple of reasons. Josh was the only remaining member of the back five … and in an underperforming team perhaps he was concerned about positions other than his own. Yes he is getting older but his limited attacking runs may have had more to do with the team he was playing in.

Somewhat ironically it was a knock to the head which saw a lift in performances methinks … as if knocking some sense into him … or seeing the challenge from his replacement … or realising that his career is closer to the end than the start. But maybe it was just the lift in the overall team’s performances which inspired him or allowed him to play more as we expected.

He made some good attacking runs (especially late in the season) and could have had some more goals if he was brave enough to shoot with his right more often.

Michael Neill

Even when you are young it can be tough as a professional footballer – probably made tougher when, just as your body is starting to become more rigid you are plunged into a full-time role when you demand more of your body. Micky’s unavailability through injury opened up an opportunity for Sim to come on board and impress.

I believe young Michael still has time on his side and although nobody will be around forever (he was seen as Rosey’s long term replacement) … there are still limited spots in the squad.

Matt Sim

Matt Sim impressed the hell out of me in a way that you like your defenders to … nothing too flashy, but reliable and generally error free. To me he was a surprise – as he had been around the State Leagues for a while it was easy to wonder if he was good enough … but he slotted straight in without fuss and, importantly, not reliant on his teammates to ‘get him though’.

Really exerted some pressure on Rosey when he came in as his replacement and was deserving of his contract extension. He also played well when pushed further forward so hopefully we will see further improvement next season as he takes advantage of the full-time commitment.

bikinigirl

The Midfield (part 1)

It’s fair to say that our listing of midfielders causes a few raised eyebrows as ‘everybody’ seems to be a midfielder or play as a midfielder … but the midfield is where we continue to see change in the structure of the team – how we play and the tactics we employ. Logically enough as it is the link between defence (the backs) and the attack (forwards).

Nick Montgomery

I think for many Monty was the player of the season – the consummate professional and ever reliable … he was rewarded with the armband whenever Hutch was not starting and if there was ever an ‘ordinary’ game from Monty it often showed in a poor team performance and often a poor result. These are the type of guys you need in your team.

As always he was clean but hard in the tackle. His shift backwards in defence improved the side and stabilised the defence … and, perhaps, unexpectedly … may have offered us better options going forward with Hutch and Caceres (as ball controllers) able to push on a bit. It is an interesting dynamic with these three worthy of starting berths so regardless of what Mossy has planned for next season I am sure there will be further debate amongst the ‘observers’.

But for me one critical thing that can’t be underestimated with Monty is not about how he plays the game. He is the only one I saw constantly herding the players over to the fans at the conclusion of the match – regardless of the result. Sure, guys like Mile would do it by default … but Monty was the one driving those a little reticent in their duties – that is the stuff that matters, but is often ignored.

John Hutchinson

As usual Hutch was a target for his detractors, many of whom fail to consider the role he is asked to play in the team. I suppose a big part of his role is to provide stability and that is what was needed, particularly in the early part of the season ... so he is really responsible for taking control.

It is easy to argue that the tempo he set was too slow, but because we were sitting so deep – that was understandable. For me, the main criticism would be that he set the midfield defensive line too close to the backs which slowed our transition but more importantly had players too close to one another to be actively effective.

When we changed formation in defence towards the latter part of the season he was actually able to push forward with a purpose we haven’t seem for some time, but that is because he has recently been responsible for dropping deep to receive the ball – that was his role … a role that involved some backward but mostly sideways passing to change the direction of our attack.

The question for Hutch is … how much will he be motivated to hold a starting spot in his 10th year with the Mariners and will he have the ability to succeed with the competition he faces from within.

Anthony Caceres

Caceres was singled out as the man to impress this year and although he may not have set the league on fire he did make progress … and he scored a couple of cracking goals in the process. He did seem a little out of sorts when played as an outright No. 10 … and although Arnie talked him up in that position it doesn’t quite seem to be for him.

He does his best work as part of a defensive midfield group … so that he can show his ball skills and attacking instincts without the full-blown defensive duties or the all-out attacking flair – to me he is best in the middle of the middle of the middle. He seemed most effective carrying the ball forward with fast wingers and a willing striker all ready to run … it would allow a through ball or the opportunity to shoot as the opposing defence became caught in two minds.

Interestingly I think that Monty, Hutch and Caceres can all play at the same time and the way we finished the season actually suited this … the problem is we have seen so much change it is still difficult to tell what works best or what the future truly does hold.

Kim Seung-Yong

The mid-season signing of Kim brought interest, intrigue and a whole lot of expectation. The unfortunate and almost illogical transfer of Mikey left a huge hole … so Kim had some rather small but immensely talented and important boots to fill.

Unfortunately I don’t think he managed to live up to the expectation … but it was a difficult task. The lack of English speaking skills is a huge hurdle on its own (the only other player I remember that had similar issues was Perez and I think that Patrick was a better translator than Matty is for Kim). The guy obviously possesses some skill but to fully exploit that he needs effective communication and understanding with his teammates.

The biggest problem Kim faces is physical … he does come across as a lightweight that meets the stereotype of Asian players going to ground too easily. I had not expected the ‘softest’ player on the pitch at an ACL game to be wearing a Mariners shirt, but I think we saw that this year. If he can spend the off-season building understanding with his teammates as he gets used to being pushed around we should see a better Kim next season … perhaps he may even be able to have an influence as a No. 10.

With memberships due to open soon hopefully we will see a huge upswing as those with Korean lineage jump on board.

bikinigirl

The Midfield (part 2)

Isaka Cernak

OK I’ll admit it … for me, Cernak was a little bit of an odd signing – as many have postulated the thinking may have been that he has under-performed elsewhere but would thrive at the Mariners … and perhaps if he had come into a settle squad that may have helped. But so far it seems more like he was to fill a squad spot when we were desperately short of numbers and had the ACL and a finals push coming up.

Perhaps more of a ‘known quantity’ at the HAL level than other alternatives … but he hasn’t really seemed to push for a spot which, in an ever-changing line-up, may be a concern. In fact I am not even sure what position he plays … somewhere in the attacking midfield? Interesting in Mossy’s reasoning for ‘no space for Flores’ I don’t think Cernak was mentioned.

Another player who should … umm, must … benefit from a full pre-season with a clear tactical strategy.

Glen Trifiro

Another player who was given an opportunity from the State League … and I would think quite unusually for a mid-twenties player in a creative role. Although he did not impress me as much as Sim … that may be down to the position that he plays and the men that he supposedly replaced. Big things are expected of your number 10 whether it is Mikey or Kim (who may play better out wide), Flores (who was offered little support) or a guy signed from the State League.

Although not as flashy as more celebrated number 10’s he is skilful, determined and as he proved with his goal … hungry … in an intelligent way. To grab a couple of clichés I would suggest he is ‘industrious’ compared to a ‘silky’ Flores. Perhaps that suits the Mariners ‘style’ better but he probably needs more game time to prove that.

Potentially he could play a better role in defence (than most No.10s) which is also critical to the way we play the game, but he does seem to be a little sluggish – a couple of things to work on in the pre-season.

Michael McGlinchey

The Wee-man has probably been our best and most consistent player over the last few years and I think this made things difficult for him this season. We were all salivating at the prospect of a Flores-Mikey double act tearing the league apart and feeding the strikers with countless opportunities. Alas, it was not to be.

For various reasons (structure, NT duty, injury, illness, loans and a team struggling to get the ball forward for example) we didn’t get to see the best of what could have been. Mikey has been our ‘go-to-man’ but what has allowed him to be effective is that there has always been threats elsewhere on the park. This year he was restricted because his teammates were offering so little.

While supporting the personal aspirations of Mikey the fans were shocked with his ‘loan deal’. Most discouragingly we had no way, or no inclination to call the loan off – particularly when Flores went out injured (before Mikey had even left). Whether that was through incompetence, respect/reward for the player (or Arnie) … none of it seems to have gone to plan so far – and it may yet disrupt more than one season for the Mariners. Come back Mikey we miss you.

Marcos Flores

I have spoken about the Flores situation elsewhere so I will try to keep this brief. He promised so much but had little opportunity to deliver. Probably more so than Mikey he suffered from the ‘pass it to Marcos and watch the magic syndrome’ – with a very deep-lying midfield he was often isolated and required to hold the ball (and hold off several defenders) far too often and for far too long – this should not have been his role.

Under extreme pressure with little support he was forced to try the ‘miracle ball’ far too often as his options were so limited. With constant turnovers he was expected to do a lot of running in defence which further dulled his effectiveness … to draw a completely illogical conclusion it was as if an injury was inevitable.

Regardless of the motivations or what the ‘correct’ decision may have been, the ‘contract negotiations’ were handled poorly by all parties and the fans are perhaps more frustrated than Flores himself. This guy was the marquee that the Mariners needed … sure he had talent on the pitch, but that is not where he offered true marquee value – for this team and this community, that value was off the pitch.

He was the only first-team player I saw spectating at a youth league match (admittedly I didn’t see many), by reports he was the only player to fulfil his obligations and more at the grassroots level (injured or not) … and he drew a massive crowd for his talk on life and football (more than attended Club forums I would guess). If the Mariners are struggling to keep their crowd numbers up, engage with the Coast beyond the die-hards … then I am afraid the real cost is not in salary or a squad spot – it is the loss of a one-man marketing machine. Unfortunate to say the least.

bikinigirl

The Forwards (part 1)

You could argue that we play with one, two or three forwards. The way the players are represented on the Club’s website you would think three … we defend with two and in reality play with one ‘striker’. This ultimately means that we have ‘forwards’ playing as ‘midfielders’.

Adam Kwasnik

Well, considering Kwas hasn’t played, there shouldn’t be too much to say. Many have written him off (actually some have been doing that for a long time), but football is a funny game.

The difficult part is seeing where Kwas fits into the squad. As the go-to-guy for fan engagement he has played a role even while out injured, but that is not a valid reason for a squad spot. If he can recover, re-gain fitness and maintain his speed and skill he may have a role to play … but I feel that role would be to replace the likes of Bernie if, heaven forbid, we were to lose him again.

EDIT: Could Kwas be our X-factor to replace the de-fector?

EDIT 2: As we all know Kwas will not be our X-factor, next season. Good luck with the new role Adam

Mile Sterjovski

Mile continued to do what Mile does … whatever was asked of him – and he did it with class, humility and professionalism. He is a genuinely nice bloke to talk to and I think this has been a big part of his role in the dressing room and on the training pitch.

It is a shame that the boys couldn’t have sent him out with another trophy. His experience and cool head may be what we miss the most on the pitch.

Bernie Ibini

It has been a tough year for Bernie, but hopefully we have been able to play our part in setting him back on track … much the same as he did for our season. Our golden boot … only here for part of the season, lacking fitness and game time on arrival and often used as a substitute … that is some achievement.

Of course there will always be people who criticise Bernie for turning the ball over but he is a much more complete footballer nowadays. He still lets the ball get away from him a little but he is so fast with giant strides that it is difficult to curb that kind of player. If ever there was a Mariners player with the X-factor (whatever the hell that is), it would be Bernie.

More than ever, family is important to him and I hope he continues to think of us as family.

EDIT: OK, so Arnie and Pedj are considered family. Other than Maty, Pedj seemed to be Bernie’s closest mate at the Mariners … and the thing that they share is a love of bling – so we really shouldn’t be that surprised.

Matt Simon

Matty, Matty, Matty … the Coastie boy returned home. In his relatively short time away the Mariners had improved their game … but this was now a different team, and I think he has actually copped a little too much criticism for being a bit one dimensional. Before he left he had started to show some decent touch, but his injury induced layoff seems to have robbed him of that touch.

It took him a while to regain fitness which, for his style of play, was a big issue. In one or two games he showed some reasonable touch (in the wind of Wellington I seem to recall he played with unusual finesse). When he was playing well he held the ball better than anybody else that led the line, but eventually our game evolved so that was less important.

What many forget is that Matty is often sent out with specific instructions to annoy, hassle and frustrate defences … something we had grown to love from him. Unfortunately it sometimes appears that is his sole purpose and the line he treads is becoming thinner and thinner.

bikinigirl

Forwards (part 2)

Daniel McBreen

McBreen has had an odd career with the Mariners. Many were disappointed with his early performances but he had a sensational year last year and I wonder whether that may have given him the benefit of the doubt on his return from China. He seemed to be struggling with touch and energy. He seemed tired, or jetlagged even, but perhaps his mind was still in China.

It was no surprise to see him return to China and maybe it helped to settle the team a little because with one strikers position we were always struggling to juggle game time, performances and build combinations in a difficult period. One less option may have actually been a benefit in this instance.

Mitchell Duke

Having received a call-up to the national team big things were expected of Dukie but I think he was stifled throughout large parts of the campaign. Arnie seemed intent on converting Mitch to a winger as he had successfully done with Bernie … but I was never sure if that was purely to accommodate McBreen, Simon and Sterj within the team.

Interestingly Arnie had said that Dukie lacked a bit of polish having avoided the chosen path of the elite footballer to the top. Apparently his development was a little behind where it should be, so shifting him wide may have been Arnie’s way to accelerate the learning. Initial impressions were that he may have formed a lethal combination with Flores as he prefers to run onto the ball rather than hold up play … alas it was not to be.

Perhaps we should consider ourselves lucky that Dukie’s season was a bit mixed because it seems to have quietened transfer rumours … but restored to the striker’s role he was full of energy again and we can look forward to next season.

Nick Fitzgerald

Many were predicting a big season from Fitzy and I think he was one of the better performers in a tough season. Early on he appeared to go missing a little struggling to find space for himself but as the season went on he seemed to gain strength with his confidence. No doubt he became more comfortable in his role within the team and his combinations and his reading of other players improved.

But I thought we saw the best of him when ‘the band’ was put back together. Bernie, Dukie and Fitzy tore up the youth league a few years ago and in the later stages of the competition our tweaked structure allowed them (often fed by Caceres) to attack with venom and some flair. Very entertaining.

Tom Slater

When a player can have their playing time discussed as minutes not matches it is a bit hard to gain much of an impression. The little I remember of Tom indicates an attacking flair, hopefully he is in the right environment to develop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred