• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

READ ANYTHING INTERESTING RECENTLY ??

Arabmariner

poko said:
www.bookdepository.co.uk for anyone looking for cheap books online....free shipping too!
I've only just had a quick look but they're charging more than twice the price for the same books I was looking at the other day on Amazon uk.Even allowing for the postage Amazon apears to be cheaper.

www.amazon.co.uk

J

jiggles

Really? I got my copy of perks for $7AU...brand new! Was cheaper than Amazon. Spose it depends on the book.

Atomic

I recently read Shantaram. It's got a great plot with colourful characters and I would have no hesitation in recommending it. Dont be put off by the size... 1000 pages. The only problem with that is that it's not so convenient to carry around if you're a commuter or, like I was, a traveler on holidays.

It's one of those books where you want to finish because you can then just sit back and drink in the imagery, personalities and relationships. the other wonderful aspect is the way India and Indian culture is portrayed. Even in the slums on Mumbai, human spirit and dignity rise above adversity. I'm reminded of one quote from the book that I thought was pretty cool... "the French may have invented love, but the Indians perfected it". Oh yes, you have to read about the Standing Babas in order to believe it!

Arabmariner

poko said:
Really? I got my copy of perks for $7AU...brand new! Was cheaper than Amazon. Spose it depends on the book.
It must do.....I only had a quick look at the Ian Rankin 'Rebus' novels which were mostly over $20.00......still good compared to the shops here but the same books were around 3-7 quid on Amazon.You do pay postage though so I only ever order when I'm buying a few books and/or cd's.

Mr Cleansheets

I loved Shantaram, but did think it a tad longer than it needed to be. I was also a bit disappointed with the huge parts of the story he left untold. But it certainly stays with you - I would rarely go a month without thinking about the Standing Babas.

Good God!

hasbeen

"the French may have invented love, but the Indians perfected it" ...

try telling that to the 'Untouchables'

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I read a collection of Jeremy Clarkson newspaper columns on the plane back...was called...
DRIVEN TO DISTRACTION....pretty good book, especially if your a fan of Top Gear

Mr Cleansheets

I've been re-reading all the Irvine Welsh books again recently. Once you start reading Welsh it can be difficult to get interested in anything else. Has anyone seen the movie of Acid House? I didn't even know there was a movie until the other day.

dibo

I last saw it near ten years ago and I may well have been a bit altered given the share house I was in at the time, but I remember it wasn't easy watching. If you've read the book I think you'll be fine, but it's not a movie I can say I enjoyed.

J

jiggles

Just bought "Outcasts United" by Warren St John (http://www.outcastsunited.com/) and Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby.

Outcasts United is the story of a refugee soccer team, a remarkable woman coach and a small southern town turned upside down by the process of refugee resettlement.

In the 1990s, that town, Clarkston, Georgia, became a resettlement center for refugees from war zones in Liberia, Congo, Sudan, Iraq and Afghanistan. The town also became home to Luma Mufleh, an American-educated Jordanian woman who founded a youth soccer team to help keep Clarkstons boys off the streets. These boys named themselves the Fugees -- short for refugees.

Outcasts United follows a pivotal season in the life of the Fugees, their families and their charismatic coach as they struggle to build new lives in a fading town overwhelmed by change. Theirs is a story about resilience, the power of one person to make a difference and the daunting challenge of creating community in a place where people seem to have little in common.

- www.outcastsunited.com

Am about to start reading...cannot wait

Ranyen

I've gone Electronic & got Tim to buy me a Kobo eReader for my birthday. I got it yesterday. It comes with 100 books pre-loaded dubbed "classics". The range of eBooks obviously won't compare to the range of physical books out there & there are a lot of "paperbacks" already released you can't get an electronic version (unless you have a scanner & a lot of free time). However, the range that Borders have so far is quite good seeing as though eReaders haven't been around really for that long in Australia.

New releases are around $25 for the eBook version. But you can get eBooks for under $5. Compared to the prices of actual paperback, it's better $ wise. But no matter what, having a 18.4 x 12cm device with around 4,000 books (Max it can hold), it still won't compare to having a room full of those books.

Will get back to you in a few week to let you know how it is holding up.

bjw

bjw
finally got round to reading (and finishing) To Kill A Mockingbird. A seriously good novel.

bjw

bjw
Ordered 'Survivor' by my favourite author Chuck Palahnuik (most famous for Fight Club).

arrived today.

Arabmariner

After reading the 5th and 6th of Ian Rankins 'Rebus' novels and realising that you should read them in order I debated with myself whether to go on to No 7 or go back to No 1.

Decided to go back to No1 (Knots and crosses)......a good read but it's a bit wierd when you find characters you thought were single are married with kids etc......kind of f**ks up the picture you had of them in your mind !

happy

Just finished " A colossal failure of common sense - The incredible inside story of the collapse of lehman Brothers" written by Larry McDonald with Patrick Robinson.

Larry McDonald was a former Lehman vice president and describes in that book what led to the financial crisis and Lehman's bankrupcy.
For me it was a very interesting but tough read as I read it in English. The authour used a lot of financial terms that are hard to understand if you are a non-native speaker.

If anything in this book was true then the bankrupcy of Lehman could had been avoided.

bjw

bjw
zycie said:
Ordered 'Survivor' by my favourite author Chuck Palahnuik (most famous for Fight Club).

arrived today.

currently reading. it's everything you expect in a Palahnuik book. so so so good.

also bought less than zero, brett easton ellis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred