• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 8 CCM v WSW

dibo

Could of had a great defensive coach with Heaps of Experience at A-League level with a pro licence that's is highly recommended for very little coin but he was rejected as he doesn't fit the new mold. He wanted to stay in the Central Coast too.
So... ;)

dibo

I reckon he would make a great partner for McGing. And the idea of his sweet left foot passes finding Ferreira in space makes me come over all giddy.

FFC Mariner

I think the healing of old wounds and "bringing the band back together" of Hutch, him, Heff,Kwas is a real step forward in the rebuilding of our clubs character.

No excuse for not knowing what playing the scum means now. I want to see them parading in front of the scummers and goading them old skool style ;-)

yorkshireman

Roy has not had proper service - he needs ball to feet played quickly while he's running into dangerous channels, with a wave of support coming and drawing defenders and creating options for cut backs and one twos. This was happening better when we had Fab and Austin, but the final balls from Fab were often too long delayed imo and many of Austin's crosses, though quality, required someone tall and physical who can head well. Roy has proved he can score with his head, but isolated against two Aussie CB's he's going to get very little joy aerially. We have had the weakest penetration through the centre of virtually any side I have seen, but until we lost both wingers, both flanks were causing absolute havoc.

Saw McBreen having lunch with stomper today. Even at his age, would have been very happy to have him on our books.

Bang on with this, Roy is getting NO service at the moment and we badly need an AM as Caceres has NO F'ING IDEA how to play that position effectively. I agree with a comment earlier about Fitzy and Sim being borderline starting players but even they would probably do a better job with ball distribution and supply. Caceres shows flashes of quality but they are all examples of footwork, not distribution etc...

Wombat

Fark fitz is probably not even starting 11 as a winger.....scary that we think he is better than Harp's fav son at #10. But he would definately create more.

Forum Phoenix

4231 with Fitzy at 10?

I'm not sure he could ever make the position his own, but barring lack of preparation, I think there's a pretty good case that we'd be more dangerous with him there. Been worrying at this issue for a fair while now...

Fitz v Cac

Fitz doesn't have Caceres feet, but he is still skilful and has a far superior work rate. His kind of high energy is better suited to the centre. People often comment he's running around aimlessly, but just having this kind of engine can be of real value to the team in the centre and he doesn't take a backward step from anyone which I love about him. Gets hammered every game pretty much and gets straight back up. Warrior imo.

On the wings he's not quite fast enough to cause havoc like Austin or a Bernie, nor as skilled on the ball as say Wee mac or Fab. Whereas in the middle, longer sprint speed is less important, and while he may not be the fastest player in the side, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was the fastest in stop starts and changing direction, which is at its most valuable in the centre and the more congested areas. With Fab back we also now have two more effective Wingers in Fab and Austin. Fitz's engine also means he is more likely to be able to support Roy in a second wave of attack running into the box - which we clearly need.

I'm not sure what Caceres assists have been over the past three seasons, one site did list this years as nil, and CCM has it at one. But I'm pretty certain that he doesn't have a significant amount of assists - be surprised if it was more than 1 in 8, and he's at 60 games for 3 goals.

So 1 in 20. Fitz is about 1 in 10 and I think that would be higher if he was central.

Fitz also has better passing accuracy than Caceres, especially in the opponents half, and has much higher shot accuracy. Which is saying something. Caceres has only out 2 on target out of 13 this year - though I appreciate he can and does shoot from range - mind you so does Fitzy.

I think the one thing Caceres does better than probably anyone else in our team at present is win fouls... but unfortunately we are not very dangerous from set pieces. He's also usually good at keeping the ball, but the reason we're having this discussion is we need that to translate into creating something more than once or twice a game.

I don't have it in for Caceres at all - as I think his mother once accused me of on here. I'd love to see his renowned 'potential' finally solidify, but how anyone could argue that it has already is beyond me, so the only discussion could be that he still just needs more time, but he's had 60 games and now we're hearing transfer rumours before he's even come good.

So not much to lose is there? We are getting no joy through the middle at present, and we have had plenty of possession and full attacking license. Personally I'd even be willing to give Sim a game at 10 based on Caceres and his current form, and if Tricky was back he'd probably be a no brainer. So I agree. Start Fab (or Sim if Fab's fitness is an issue) on the wing and lets start grooming Fitzy to play centrally unless Charlesworth remembers where he put his wallet.

Last edited:

bikinigirl

. this ....

Caceres shows flashes of quality but they are all examples of footwork, not distribution etc...

. and this ....

Fitz's engine also means he is more likely to be able to support Roy in a second wave of attack running into the box - which we clearly need.

. are key to our attacking 'problems' at the moment ... but as long as Cas is being spoken about as a transfer target i don't envisage anybody displacing him from the starting 11

. a conspiracy theorist might find that a little suspicious

elevated position

I'm not sure he could ever make the position his own, but barring lack of preparation, I think there's a pretty good case that we'd be more dangerous with him there. Been worrying at this issue for a fair while now...

So not much to lose is there? We are getting no joy through the middle at present, and we have had plenty of possession and full attacking license. Personally I'd even be willing to give Sim a game at 10 based on Caceres and his current form, and if Tricky was back he'd probably be a no brainer.

The diagonal runs in between WSW defense shows Sim understands what should happen and remembering back to last season at home against Wellington where we were behind and he came on as a 10 and changed the game quite dramatically (alas to no avail) so that this is a yes to try Sim as a 10 however he must be given game time in the position.
Remember Arnie used McBreen the same way and it worked.

dibo

He's not going off to France as well, is he? Maybe has a strained mobile phone? Permanent 4-week injury?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred