Rd 15 vs Western United

Discussion in 'Central Coast Mariners FC' started by Ozhammer, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Forum Phoenix

Forum Phoenix Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m turning cynical as I get older, but I like the plus and minus 3,2,1’s. Thanks fellas

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  2. Forum Phoenix

Forum Phoenix Well-Known Member

:popcorn:

He’ll be round hat in hand with a couple of eggs if you’re not careful,

:cheers:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

Yes darling.

Sorry. Goodnight.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

Sharpened whisk maybe.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

Good night peeps.

God bless and we get to start a new chapter on Monday. (Alcohol free Dobbie!)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dobbie

Dobbie Member

No judgement just statement of fact!! I couldn't give a fark but it might have clouded ur appraisal is all. In fact bonus points for drunken passion ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. midfielder

midfielder Well-Known Member

It's beyond obvious we need a striker and CB of quality.

Deep down I am hoping. A new owner comes along.! Can't see to much changing with MC holding the purse strings ...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Well-Known Member

I think it is time to move back to 4-4-1-1
    Centre backs: Rowles, Fox
    Fullbacks: Miller, Ziggy
    DMs: Kim, Stens
    Wingers: DDS, Oar
    #10: Milan
    Striker: Muzz
    This formation to strengthen defence. If one fullback goes forward the other stays back. SS on for Milan who drops back to replace Stens. If SS not available Nizzy to come on for Stens.

Or a more attacking 4-4-1-1, diamond midfield.
    Backline as above
    DM: Kim
    #8: Milan
    Wingers: DDS, Muzz
    #10 false #9: Oar or SS
    Striker: Jair (last chance), Simon if he can hold up and provide for Oar or SS.

The crowded midfield slows the attack and players are not developing any understanding. The attack has become too slow.
    Definitely time for plan B.

• Like Like x 3
  9. marinermick

marinermick Well-Known Member

What we have been screaming out for since day dot.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. onto it

onto it Active Member

I am surprised that Kim hasn't been tasked as a fullback. He is a decent defender, though often rash, but has pace, can take players on, and loves to get forward.
    That would free up Miller to go back to CB and give us some tall pine there...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

I think the only striker in the league that could perform in our current plan is Toivonen purely because of his height. We could have ALF and he wouldn’t be banging them in with the service we are giving.

Could be worth bringing Oar in to the middle more. Only issue is we don’t really have another good candidate for left wing but what we are doing now isn’t working and his crossing has been poor anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. shipwreck

shipwreck Well-Known Member

What is it about backing up from a win that makes us so horrible? Are we getting hopelessly out coached because we execute the game plan that worked the week before and it gets picked apart?
    Are we simply lucky whenever we get a win and unjustly raise our expectations?
    Do the players get complacent with their starting positions and relax?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Well-Known Member

Our wins have been far from convincing.
    The effort has been great but the skill levels and majority match time dominance over the other teams has been sadly lacking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. MagpieMariner

MagpieMariner Well-Known Member

I don't think our players get complacent after a win, I think it's the team we beat being over-confident. Then the next game the opponents put their best foot forward and spank us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Waspish

Waspish Active Member

My read is that our defense just isn't what it needs to be as a unit.
    I just did a quick back of the envelope calculation and we've had 1 clean sheet in the last 44 games.

When defense is solid and the team is confident that it won't be put to the sword then the attack has confidence to go forward and take risks. When it's not mids in particular don't commit to attacks in the same way so it also hurts your scoring opportunities.

Overall I'm ok with our general play. We have bossed many games...and also lost many of those. Our wins, however, could have gone either way (we held on against perth, adelaide etc., got very lucky against MV). Because despite taking leads in many games we just aren't confident we can hold out these teams from scoring for the whole game.

I think it's back to basics time in defense. Arnie focused on that first and foremost. Macca told me once that in the early days Arnie spent 3 months on defense and didn't even talk attack at training. Only after everyone did their defensive job properly did he switch to working on attack, and then he really left it up to the individuals to take risks and be creative. When Poppa arrived in Australia to take on WSW he called Arnie who's advice was simply - get your defense right first.

We CAN score, and have regularly taken the lead. We DO dominate teams and look good for large parts of games. We DON'T stop them from scoring and beating us in return.

Our defensive foundations are not good enough. The wider, deeper, stronger your foundations the higher you can build.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

He is too inflexible. We have 2 glaring holes on the pitch that scream for a solution. Left sided defender and striker.
    Clisby and Oar arent the answer and the striking dilemma has existed since pre season.
    We wont get into the 6 and its time to try different things.
    Give Hatch a run at LB
    Try one of our many young strikers to see what they offer.
    Cant do worse

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  17. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

That's also because we are working on close wins. It's usually a one goal margin and that's just a bit of bad luck or a worldie away from disappearing. All 4 wins were by 1 and we normally have 1, maybe 2 goals in us no matter what chances we make. Last week was only because of a crazy penalty situation but Victory were lucky to have 2 goals as well. We dont score enough to put a game out of reach so we never look really comfortable.
    Keeping a clean sheet is important but arguably a bigger ask than expecting your attack to put away goals. The whole thing can be a bit chicken and egg but if a team is applying pressure (as we have shown we can do) it reduces opportunities to concede. Put away that extra goal and you can put a game out of reach. Low scoring keeps our opponents in the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. RECKY

RECKY I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit

Cudos for our outstanding consistency...every time we win, next game we lose...very good

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

Oar has had 4 games at LB from what I can see on a quick check. Of those 4 we won 2. We wanted Clisby out and he did it. I agree Oar isnt the answer and we need to look to bring someone in but blame that on being inflexible isnt right. Any less time and it would be kneejerk reactions and not giving the squad time to adapt.

In other aspects sure we need to change things up but as far as left back goes he has made changes to address the issue but with little squad depth how much can he do?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Insertnamehere

Insertnamehere Well-Known Member

I think he's being inflexible because he feels he doesn't have a better option and it could go to shit very quickly with a very inexperienced team. Just my take. But as someone else said, it's the consistent inconsistencies that is the thing that shits me the most.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1