• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 10 Perth v CCMariners

Rowdy

That record for most consecutive losses away doesn't apply, thanks to Sim's brilliance against the Jest btw.

I have to re-edit (done) my post and clarify the record.

It's for the most consecutive games away without a win. ;)

We're at 20 consecutive away games now. Fail to win at our next 2 away games and we equal Melb.City's record of 22

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

The ability of our team to loose control of a game is something special.

Seriously switched off for less than 5 minutes had two brain farts and game gone.

Izzo didn't even see the free kick little own know where to stand or how to set his wall. We cant afford any free kicks within Koooee of our goal because the team can't defend it.

This loss wasn't TW or Charlesworths fault it was pure stupidity not skill or talent that lost the game. Just switch on for F sake. The second goal was by our most experienced players who should know better.

Perth never even looked likely apart from those goals.

"The ability of our team to loose control of a game is something special."

Very typical comment of a young inexperienced side.

On the players level of fault:

I don't think Rosey's was a brain fart. A clearing header was the right option, just poor execution. He is not really a CB, just a good adaptable player, and not the greatest header of the ball or the tallest, and he got exposed for this. But he's there because Walmsley was obviously trying to get some experience into our back line in him and Sim. In short he's playing out of position when most HAL CB's would comfortably have cleared that ball all day all year. Must be frustrating for him.

Izzo is young and his inexperience clearly shows at times. But I do think everyone should bare in mind that while it's an opportunity for him to play 1st team football for sure, it's a very tough job he's been given.

Often no experienced players around him, and he's had (at the least statistically by a mile) the worst defence in the league in front of him. Tough job for a young keeper. Much tougher than Danny or Matty had tbf , who both had some of the leagues best defenders in front of them and in much more defensive oriented lineups/tactics.

Bladesman

Again inexperience and lapses cost us.

For me this is a very worrying stat and the symptom of a lot of our issues

View attachment upload_2015-12-14_8-1-25.png

we are not winning the ball in the air, either attacking, just look at the number of corners/crosses and lack of goals but more worryingly when defending we often get caught with a flick on setting somebody free and don't look like we can defend corners/free kicks to save our lives.

Coach

FWIW, I thought the Wanderers tore our defence apart also.

Exactly my point, we did a better job defensively against Wanderers than Victory did yet we criticise. We then replace the defence and do a worse job against City and last placed Perth.

Forum Phoenix

Exactly my point, we did a better job defensively against Wanderers than Victory did yet we criticise. We then replace the defence and do a worse job against City and last placed Perth.

lol, come on coach, we didn't do a better job against them at all. We just got lucky. Because yes, they should have had six. Rewatch it and then tell me you really still believe otherwise.
They had at least four more absolutely should score opportunities. Not half chances. Or even good chances. But should score opportunities where we were cut open. That's not a long bow. It's just what happened. As was Castelan repeatedly ripping us open and squandering two sitters. (which he has done to several teams so far - he's quality - no shame in it). So I'm really not drawing a long bow at all. I don't even think there's one nearby tbh, because you can watch it and see that's it just what actually happened.

I'm not looking for reasons to demonise our defence. I don't enjoy that, and I'm not emotional about it, but like others, I do think an experienced leader at CB would make a huge difference. And I think Walmsley almost certainly would feel the same way and a lot more acutely than any of us.

For mine, I really like Posc, McGing and Ascroft is now winning me over too. Roux I've always personally been a big fan of, and while Neil has not had a good season to date and I wouldn't be starting him either, I still think he has quality and potential.

We do obviously have defensive problems, they are making some basic errors, but as discussed, I do think most issues largely stem from not being experienced enough to successfully play in this higher risk strategy behind a not fully functional midfield. Which can be done. And maybe I'm alone in this, but WSW game aside, I actually think they're improving at it.

The pummelling by City may have seemed the opposite and presumably triggered TW's pretty major reshuffle - but for mine it was a couple of individual errors at the back combined with two missed up front that destroyed our morale and led to our total capitulation and all or no one is culpable for that. Which speaks a lot more on our need for depth and more experience on the park - which is why I keep banging on about it and have now become "the owner needs to spend more money guy" found the word over - but not because I expect to be bought the toilet seat, rather our bare bones are just too bare for what the club hopes to achieve imo.

As for the Perth game defensively, well, as others said, they never really looked like scoring; except at every single set piece o_O and then from one mistake on a defensive header.

I think going from your posts Coach that you feel TW's coaching/decisions are the big culprit here? And so most of the criticism the players have received is ill informed? Or are you just frustrated by a bit of the typical forum and fan blame game?

I'm not sure you're going to get much traction arguing that how our defenders are playing is not part of the problem, it's just our shape – while we sit last with by far the most goals against in the league – but always great to have perspective.

Last edited:

gull

What pissed me off a lot with the Moss era was the constant changing of the back 4. Never did the same 4 line up.

TW is making the same mistakes. Apart from Roux name a guaranteed player in the back 4.

Should be McGing and Posco but both missing for unknown reasons last night.

I actually think the McGing experiment has been a huge success.

Yep this was the most concerning part to me as well.

At least we had been sticking with the same players rightly or wrongly, but constant changes show panic to me.

Sim has been attacking really well, but we don't play him on the left wing when Austin is out, we put him at left back and move Rosey to CB when Austin is back. Odd for mine.

McGing & Posco are our best CB's as we at least have speed if not experience. To leave both out on the weekend was very Moss like.

nebakke

I agree entirely on the CBs... One thing that did strike me though was that we don't know what the City thrashing did to their confidence... I was wondering that at the start of the Perth game, before things went dire, whether perhaps the previous game had left them a bit shaken, especially being young players.
It might be wrong but I guess it's worth bearing in mind that there could be more than one reason.
At this point though I'm prepping to settle with beating Sydney in the last two - a task that might seem difficult, but i actually think we're capable of even at a less than perfect pace, same for the Jest and stewing clear of the spoon... i'm not so sure about the latter now but the first two are feasible i reckon... with Fab back as well and back 4 back...

Rowdy

Sim has been attacking really well, but we don't play him on the left wing when Austin is out, we put him at left back and move Rosey to CB when Austin is back. Odd for mine.

Also odd to me is that Austin doesn't 'work inconjuction' (either intentionally or under instruction from TW) with Sim, allowing Sim to get forward & join in the attack when he was at LB.

Roux does it easily on the rhs playing 1/2 balls and getting around the outside of the RAMid with runs to help attack or create an attacking opportunity.

I've been keeping a very close eye on Austin in the last 3 - 4 games. He 'squats' on the sideline far too much and too high when were under attack, failing to tuck in and help with defence in closing down the opposition who have been ripping their attacks through our central areas.

To the point of being so wide and high that when opponents attack through the middle they then drift the attacks towards the hole he leaves in behind him, between him and the LB.

Austin hugging the sideline also puts a stop to the LB making the runs around him to contribute like Stormy. This is making it easier for opposition to handle him (Austin) as they know he likes to dribble as quick as he can AND NOTHING ELSE, they jockey him up the line and wait for another defender to come in double teaming him to dispossess as he eventually tries to come inside.

There's no variation to put defenders in 2 or even 3 minds about what to do to combat Austin. As long as they can keep up, stick a foot in - they stand a 90% chance of being effective in dispossessing him.

I think that might of been the reason TW subbed him in this game, as a few of his runs prior he was dispossessed. Although his cross for Roy's diving missed header in the opening minutes of the 2nd half was sublime. He was subbed about 10 mins after that.

The other main concern I have with Austin, and its something else I've noticed is his failure to 'get to the back post' when balls are being crossed in from the right via Storm/Fitzy/Whomever? Sometimes not even attempting to make the effort i.e he's NOT even in the box!

I've even observed him on corner kicks STANDING on the opposite corner of the 18 yard box. No movement to get in there and have a go. He's big, he's strong ! Why not?

During the WSW game I pointed it out to FFC Mariner and the rest of the boys as we sat in Bay15 instead of 16 due to the boycott. This allowed us to look straight down his LHS as he ran at us. Being on the sideline and not tucking in the distance between him and the next player inside was enormous.

Against WSW, I will give, he was making the attempts BUT, due to his habit of staying too wide he was constantly late arriving at back post.

So much so that I stood up & screamed at him that he was a -
"Bloody library book, constantly LATE !"

With his reputation for speed, this to me is unacceptable. He needs to anticipate better and just GET THERE. He would have had 2 tap-in's against the Wanderer's if he had've.

Big Al

Also odd to me is that Austin doesn't 'work inconjuction' (either intentionally or under instruction from TW) with Sim, allowing Sim to get forward & join in the attack when he was at LB.
Neither does Neill or Rose.

The right side is much more effective than the left. Storm and Fab work very well together.
Might just be simply Fab has been around longer to build those connections or could just be storms ability over the others as

Wombat

Roux does it easily on the rhs playing 1/2 balls and getting around the outside of the RAMid with runs to help attack or create an attacking opportunity.

I've been keeping a very close eye on Austin in the last 3 - 4 games. He 'squats' on the sideline far too much and too high when were under attack, failing to tuck in and help with defence in closing down the opposition who have been ripping their attacks through our central areas.

To the point of being so wide and high that when opponents attack through the middle they then drift the attacks towards the hole he leaves in behind him, between him and the LB.

Austin hugging the sideline also puts a stop to the LB making the runs around him to contribute like Stormy. This is making it easier for opposition to handle him (Austin) as they know he likes to dribble as quick as he can AND NOTHING ELSE, they jockey him up the line and wait for another defender to come in double teaming him to dispossess as he eventually tries to come inside.

There's no variation to put defenders in 2 or even 3 minds about what to do to combat Austin. As long as they can keep up, stick a foot in - they stand a 90% chance of being effective in dispossessing him.

I think that might of been the reason TW subbed him in this game, as a few of his runs prior he was dispossessed. Although his cross for Roy's diving missed header in the opening minutes of the 2nd half was sublime. He was subbed about 10 mins after that.

The other main concern I have with Austin, and its something else I've noticed is his failure to 'get to the back post' when balls are being crossed in from the right via Storm/Fitzy/Whomever? Sometimes not even attempting to make the effort i.e he's NOT even in the box!

I've even observed him on corner kicks STANDING on the opposite corner of the 18 yard box. No movement to get in there and have a go. He's big, he's strong ! Why not?

During the WSW game I pointed it out to FFC Mariner and the rest of the boys as we sat in Bay15 instead of 16 due to the boycott. This allowed us to look straight down his LHS as he ran at us. Being on the sideline and not tucking in the distance between him and the next player inside was enormous.

Against WSW, I will give, he was making the attempts BUT, due to his habit of staying too wide he was constantly late arriving at back post.

So much so that I stood up & screamed at him that he was a -
"Bloody library book, constantly LATE !"

With his reputation for speed, this to me is unacceptable. He needs to anticipate better and just GET THERE. He would have had 2 tap-in's against the Wanderer's if he had've.

Normally you post well but that was a load of shite.

Forum Phoenix

Wait 'til Fab is back and drawing players away from Austin, and vice versa
Agree, and I'd add an ambitious ten. Roy does help. It's easy to shut down the guy who has no one apace centrally to pass to or other players drawing men. I know what Rowdy means, but I think he's just going the only place the space is. Will watch this more.

Gratis

Agree, and I'd add an ambitious ten. Roy does help. It's easy to shut down the guy who has no one apace centrally to pass to or other players drawing men. I know what Rowdy means, but I think he's just going the only place the space is. Will watch this more.
My thoughts also. With a full, fit squad we're competitive. It's just that one or two players out and we're sitting ducks

Gratis

Ideally we'll recruit one or two (three please!) in January and this will be mostly sorted.
We've had a bad run recently but the first 6 or 7 games this season we were very good and should have won several games. Refereeing actually lost s 2 of them. With Fab back we can get back to that form and all the younger guys will get better and better. We may not make the finals this year (then again we may) but I don't think we'll get the spoon. Then it's from strength the strength in coming years.

I think this discussion has nailed a couple of tactical points:
* Currently Roy is too easily marked having no passing options, as is Austin - having Fab back will mean defenders will have to focus on Fab, Austin and Cac as well as Roy so should open some space/opportunities

* The back 4 of Roux, Posc, McGing, Rose is solid enough and improving and should be settled on for at least 4 or 5 games without change. When settled Roux/Rose should be given licence to get forward more and be as effective as we know they can be

* Ascroft and Rose Jr need to battle it out and sub for each other as second DM with Monty. They're both showing their potential

* Rose/Austin need to be able to go around each other to draw defenders, make them think twice and provide a variety of opportunities the way Roux/Fab do

* Fitz and Sim off the bench are effective

* Cac needs to create more. Hoping his combinations will Fabv will bear some fruit

It's a big part a matter of having all players available and getting to know each other/making good decisions individually and as a collective. We're not that far off overall, but under enough to be losing most games currently.

Big Al

Just watched Victory give a free kick to Glory in a similar position to the one scored against us.

The Victory had the last player on the wall physically grab the glory player that tries to get on the end of the wall and compress it. The Victory player kept shoving him. Ref came in and told the glory guy to stop. He even kept pushing him leaving room for another person if wanted. Result was Marinkavic putting it into the wall. We need to learn how to do this and as discussed don't have anyone experienced enough to know it needs doing and how to do it. Monty can't do everything

Forum Phoenix

Ideally we'll recruit one or two (three please!) in January and this will be mostly sorted.
We've had a bad run recently but the first 6 or 7 games this season we were very good and should have won several games. Refereeing actually lost s 2 of them. With Fab back we can get back to that form and all the younger guys will get better and better. We may not make the finals this year (then again we may) but I don't think we'll get the spoon. Then it's from strength the strength in coming years.

I think this discussion has nailed a couple of tactical points:
* Currently Roy is too easily marked having no passing options, as is Austin - having Fab back will mean defenders will have to focus on Fab, Austin and Cac as well as Roy so should open some space/opportunities

* The back 4 of Roux, Posc, McGing, Rose is solid enough and improving and should be settled on for at least 4 or 5 games without change. When settled Roux/Rose should be given licence to get forward more and be as effective as we know they can be

* Ascroft and Rose Jr need to battle it out and sub for each other as second DM with Monty. They're both showing their potential

* Rose/Austin need to be able to go around each other to draw defenders, make them think twice and provide a variety of opportunities the way Roux/Fab do

* Fitz and Sim off the bench are effective

* Cac needs to create more. Hoping his combinations will Fabv will bear some fruit

It's a big part a matter of having all players available and getting to know each other/making good decisions individually and as a collective. We're not that far off overall, but under enough to be losing most games currently.

Great summary and post GRA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred