• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R8: CCM v Perth @ Gosford

neverwozza

Whisper it but Fab might need to get used to the bench for a while.

I've been saying it for a couple of weeks now. Fab is great on the ball but plays for himself a little bit and I think Trent suits our system better (plus he's a Umina boy). Anyway its nice to have genuine pressure for positions in a couple of spots.

MagpieMariner

Maybe the way to judge the "penalties" is how would we feel if they'd been given against us? If we'd been honestly spewing about injustice, then they probably weren't pens.

neverwozza

Does anyone have any idea why the atmosphere was so good last night. It felt like the place was buzzing right from the get go and I'm not sure why. It helps that the footy was good, the beer queues were short and bay 6 made a lot of noise but there just seemed like there was something extra that i can't quite put my finger on.

pjennings

Didn't make it to the game - coming back from up north. Watched it on a small iPad which was great - and the crowd came through very loud!! Recorded it today and will rewatch for the full 'glory' on the big screen over the weekend.

Tevor

Don't let loose but I'm a ref, shoulder to shoulder is ok when both are playing for the ball. The defender only had eyes for Trent and did not even run at the ball so it is charging and a clear foul. Look at the defenders run he only had eyes on the player not the ball, thought ref was in a good position but feel he hesitates in the big decisions. Having been in his position (not anywhere near HAL level) I sympathise because it's a massive decision. Also you need to be consistent and he gave a foul earlier on Trent for he same kind of challenge. He will learn but thought he was inconsistent and Williams should have two yellows IMO.

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Great to see the crowd getting behind the team - a mix of new play styles, positive attitudes on the pitch, and tremendous efforts from the club in engaging with the community. I'm interstate and even I'm aware this is happening (the podcast helps!). Izzo is great these days.

Couldn't watch the game too closely as I was also studying, but we were putting a lot of pressure on, attacking well, just playing some sexy football. For a while I felt like we could challenge anybody.
Clean sheet....that's just huge. And with a 2 goal win too. Absolutley massive. Imagine what this will do for us if we can make it 2 in a row.

Capn can you explain why no penalty from a technical point of view.
I don't disagree as seem to hit hit each other but live looked dead set certainty but that's from the side.
Neither seems to change line and both hit each other, but defender makes no play on the ball and takes out the attacker in the box in a goal scoring position.

Are you saying the contact is Trents fault?
https://streamable.com/pila
There's the clip. The front-on view is the best.
When a charge is a foul, it's usually because it's from behind (or side-on into the chest is nearly as bad). Or a player has dropped the shoulder and/or done that 'big heavy step' to put his full weight into the player. Or stepped right off his line to hit a player a yard or two beside (when it's at the point he can't pretend he's going for the ball). Obviously these are all degrees - more is going to be let go at this level than local PL, and more at local PL than O35D, etc. Using the arms should, in theory, net a foul but we know it rarely does. Or sometimes it's because there's a trip - or if it's a hip bump.

We can clearly see that it was shoulder-to-shoulder and the arms weren't used. There was no last minute step towards our player so it's not a question of using an unreasonable amount of force. It certainly wasn't behind - in fact the Perth player was in front.So about the only thing left was did anybody step off their line to clearly 'play the man'. There was no leg contact so no trip.

I think it probably was Trent initiating the contact - but that's not important. It's legal to initiate contact to muscle an opponent off the ball and we see it all the time. 2 players trying to occupy the one space is typically what's fair.

Perth player was running in a straight line for the ball. Trent took a touch to turn the ball right then, IMO, overshot that turn slightly from momentum, causing him to run into the Perth player. I actually think the Perth player was arcing away slightly - but those 2 points aren't overly important. The Perth player didn't deviate from the line for the ball, didn't hit him from behind, didn't drop the shoulder or otherwise 'play the man'. Not even a hint of a foul - I wouldn't be calling this in an U/12 girls match.

At first though I thought it was a clear charge from behind, but that's because the Perth player was running so much faster that it was deceptive.

All IMo

Big Al

When a charge is a foul, it's usually because it's from behind (or side-on into the chest is nearly as bad). Or a player has dropped the shoulder and/or done that 'big heavy step' to put his full weight into the player. Or stepped right off his line to hit a player a yard or two beside (when it's at the point he can't pretend he's going for the ball). Obviously these are all degrees - more is going to be let go at this level than local PL, and more at local PL than O35D, etc. Using the arms should, in theory, net a foul but we know it rarely does. Or sometimes it's because there's a trip - or if it's a hip bump.

We can clearly see that it was shoulder-to-shoulder and the arms weren't used. There was no last minute step towards our player so it's not a question of using an unreasonable amount of force. It certainly wasn't behind - in fact the Perth player was in front.So about the only thing left was did anybody step off their line to clearly 'play the man'. There was no leg contact so no trip.

I think it probably was Trent initiating the contact - but that's not important. It's legal to initiate contact to muscle an opponent off the ball and we see it all the time. 2 players trying to occupy the one space is typically what's fair.

Perth player was running in a straight line for the ball. Trent took a touch to turn the ball right then, IMO, overshot that turn slightly from momentum, causing him to run into the Perth player. I actually think the Perth player was arcing away slightly - but those 2 points aren't overly important. The Perth player didn't deviate from the line for the ball, didn't hit him from behind, didn't drop the shoulder or otherwise 'play the man'. Not even a hint of a foul - I wouldn't be calling this in an U/12 girls match.

At first though I thought it was a clear charge from behind, but that's because the Perth player was running so much faster that it was deceptive.

All IMo
Great to see the crowd getting behind the team - a mix of new play styles, positive attitudes on the pitch, and tremendous efforts from the club in engaging with the community. I'm interstate and even I'm aware this is happening (the podcast helps!). Izzo is great these days.

Couldn't watch the game too closely as I was also studying, but we were putting a lot of pressure on, attacking well, just playing some sexy football. For a while I felt like we could challenge anybody.
Clean sheet....that's just huge. And with a 2 goal win too. Absolutley massive. Imagine what this will do for us if we can make it 2 in a row.

All IMo
Cheers, can't argue with that.
Thanks Tevor as well who has a different view.
Shame we didn't get it anyway just for all the others we are owed

Wombat

Does anyone have any idea why the atmosphere was so good last night. It felt like the place was buzzing right from the get go and I'm not sure why. It helps that the footy was good, the beer queues were short and bay 6 made a lot of noise but there just seemed like there was something extra that i can't quite put my finger on.

Decent game against Scum on Sunday. Great support up there....the vibe was great and it carried through.
The game against the Drive bys will be epic.
I fancy us for that.

FFC Mariner

You could see the belief levels rising when we went 2 up. The new bond with the crowd that started against the Scum is great too.

Wombat

Im gonna watch the replay, but did that drooling moron Ned Zelic make any utterence's that were nearly human or was he his usual, babbling idiotic self?

Like I said, when we start playing Football, and we have, they will start treating us with respect again.
Its happening already and i cant wait to see some of those smug [homophobic slur deleted - yet again] (Harper, Rudan and the speed freak) at Fox eat their words again.
Dont be a soft cock Dibo...its just an expression!

Last edited by a moderator:

dibo

You've been warned more than enough times.

It's not acceptable from a twelve year old boy, why should it be acceptable from a grown man?

Learn some new words or stop posting.

bikinigirl

Does anyone have any idea why the atmosphere was so good last night.

Playing at night meant the ... sound of the crowd carried a lot better

Decent game against Scum on Sunday. Great support up there....the vibe was great and it carried through.

. for those that remember (and contributed to the mega-mega fund) - this is why we rushed through the acquisition - to capitalise on the atmosphere created during the grand final win for the next (ACL) game

Didn't feel id need it to be honest.

. sorry pete, but although the night was good and the energy high i think you missed an opportunity for more engagement and buy-in from the 'rest' of the crowd

. you won't have the same opportunity next week

. still love your work though :wub:

Luke

. for those that remember (and contributed to the mega-mega fund) - this is why we rushed through the acquisition - to capitalise on the atmosphere created during the grand final win for the next (ACL) game

. sorry pete, but although the night was good and the energy high i think you missed an opportunity for more engagement and buy-in from the 'rest' of the crowd

. you won't have the same opportunity next week

. still love your work though :wub:
There was plenty of buy in from the rest of the crowd. The mega was/is definitely not needed for the amount of people we have. I'm sure Pete will want to use it whenever he can to save his voice but no mega had no difference on Thursday. If anything it forced those in the bay to be louder and not rely on Pete to make noise on his own yelling into the mega which in turn made the entire atmosphere better.

That mega is *way* too big of you ask me anyway. How is he meant to drink beer and use it when he needs two hands to hold it? A simple handheld one would do the trick.

Also should be noted there was no mega last week and look how good that was :overheadl:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred