• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R25 - Mariners V Roar

stormin

Mariners back in the Winner’s Circle

The Mariners ultimately claimed the points, and deservedly so, but this was not a game to stay long in the memory. Bojic was still absent injured otherwise Arnie returned to type with Rose back and Monty, McGlinchey and Ibini all starting; Duke and Bozanic returned to the bench. A blustery wind made good football difficult and both sides were below their best.
Perhaps it was physical tiredness, perhaps it was mental fatigue but the Mariners were sleepwalking in the early stages of this game and the once formidable Brisbane Roar were but a shadow of the great Champions of recent years. In truth the football was pretty ordinary; the Mariners were playing slow patient possession football but constantly came undone with McBreen the missing link; too many times the ball came to him and he misdirected passes away from team mates. Only Bernie Ibini seemed able to shake the mood as he began to take on and beat defenders.
Brisbane took the opportunity to threaten first with Lustica firing just over – Ryan had the shot covered - and then the same player having a go from distance. The Mariners dramatically lifted their game in the 22nd minute: McGlinchey’s volley from McBreen’s headed flick-on being tipped over by Theoklitos – a few inches to the left and it would have been unstoppable. Moments later Rose’s cross was met by the diving Anderson, Theo did well to save but in the ensuing scramble Ibini somehow scooped the ball over the open goal.
Even the usually reliable Mat Ryan was giving the ball away but it was the lively Ibini, atoning for his miss, who provided relief with the kind of goal he often threatens but seldom delivers. Collecting the ball in the area, he shaped to the right, turned left, took a step and then fired a crisp left foot shot past Theoklitos’s despairing fingers. The feeling of relief rippled around the stadium.
Bernie it was who provided the next highlight, his early accurate ball over the top finding the racing Fitzgerald who hooked the ball to the feet of McGlinchey. It was a golden opportunity but a defender and Theoklitos combined to put McGlinchey off and the shot was blocked. Arnie stamped his feet in frustration. To pour salt on the wound McBreen’s header beat the goalkeeper but not the post; the big fellah can’t buy a goal at the moment.
The Mariners went in 1-0 up and while not playing particularly well were clearly the better side and looked likely to go on with it in the second half.
It was at this point that déjà vu kicked in: unfortunately for Roy Law, that is, but fortunately not for the Mariners. A few weeks ago when the Mariners played Brisbane, in Brisbane, I had to stop watching the game at half-time because of a family mini-drama. Today, precisely the same mini-drama occurred and I did not see the second half. From what I have read I didn’t miss much. With the lead only 1-0 I was anxious to know if we had won – because we did not hold on to win in Brisbane - so I was relieved that we did but not impressed by the score.
I don’t normally watch highlights before posting my comments (preferring to enjoy finding out later just how wrong my observations can be :innocent: ) but on this occasion I did. It seemed we should have had a penalty for hand ball; McGlinchey showed his left peg is only for standing on; and Ryan brilliantly stood up to deny Nyland who also hit the post (although I think Ryan had that covered too).

Ultimately the Mariners dug deep to get what they wanted; they are keeping the Wanderers honest, they are making the beating of Brisbane at Bluetongue a regular occurrence, and they are back in the winner’s circle. There is no doubt the physical effort of recent weeks, the extra burden of midweek games and overseas travel, and the psychological impact of losses has hurt them. This win should lift the spirits and with a week to recuperate I expect them to find the form that deserted them.

It is not clear to me who the MoM should be but I would give it to Bernie whose first half efforts did enough to lift the team when it needed it.
(Mcglinchey showed his left peg is only for standing on) Are you having a laugh or being serious ,his goal against Sydney in the 7.2 win was hit with his left foot ,he has played on the left all season continually putting crosses into the box with his left foot ,maybe you should be asking why did he come off .

adz

Staff member
(Mcglinchey showed his left peg is only for standing on) Are you having a laugh or being serious ,his goal against Sydney in the 7.2 win was hit with his left foot ,he has played on the left all season continually putting crosses into the box with his left foot ,maybe you should be asking why did he come off .

Good question here - is he ok? I was just thinking the other day how when we rotated our players at the end of last season, Weemac was one that played through, and had a ton of game time. Hope he's there on the weekend.

Roy Law

I am never that serious; and I did laugh at his air swing!
And as I said, I did not see the second half, only the highlights, so have no idea why he came off - perhaps he simply needed a rest, no-one works harder than him.

Reactions: adz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred