• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R23: Sydney FC v CCM at Allianz

AuzDutchy

That's the point you can't be a one dimensional player in the mid field.
This might be why he was put into defence

He's playing alright and will be a good back up
But is not anywhere near what Taveras brought to the team
We will have to deal with them for the rest of the year and after that McGing will still be at the club but I doubt as a first 11 player

I'd personally like Rose back in there, he is learning the defensive side of the game which he needs but his runs from the back are way more exciting, beneficial and creative than anything McGing has done

Very hard to argue with that last point, cant remember the last time McGing made any surging runs up the pitch, Rose on the other hand has been reminiscent of Sainsbury at times when he steps out from the back.

Gratis

re: Izzo. He's come good and will get better credit to him. A-League standard he is acceptable. No great loss.
I genuinely wish him all the best. Have a good career and life, all the best, adieu and goodbye.
Okon should not play him again though. Ivan showed he is currently a better keeper anyway and we look to the future now.

pjennings

re: Izzo. He's come good and will get better credit to him. A-League standard he is acceptable. No great loss.
I genuinely wish him all the best. Have a good career and life, all the best, adieu and goodbye.
Okon should not play him again though. Ivan showed he is currently a better keeper anyway and we look to the future now.

Agree with most of that - except Smithies has form at being wrong about the Mariners.

JoyfulPenguin

If Izzo is going I personally harbor no resentment towards him, he didn't deserve to be abused last year and is just a very young player heading back to his home town. Good luck to him, but does it make losing Tom Heward-Belle to Sydney FC's youth team a lot more painful though.

priorpeter

If Izzo is going I personally harbor no resentment towards him, he didn't deserve to be abused last year and is just a very young player heading back to his home town. Good luck to him, but does it make losing Tom Heward-Belle to Sydney FC's youth team a lot more painful though.

I don't believe we "lost" him to SFC youth. He was 4th choice at the start of the season behind Izzo, Pearcey, and Ivan. As a result, both he and the club agreed on mutual termination. He had the opportunity to sign with a couple of other clubs, but opted not to. Sat on the bench for 1 or 2 of Sydney's youth games, but I'm fairly sure he never actually ended up signing, or playing.

**EDIT** - just seen he is actually now playing in their NPL squad. Glad to see he is back in the game, wonder if he will decide to make his way back to full time football...

JoyfulPenguin

I don't believe we "lost" him to SFC youth. He was 4th choice at the start of the season behind Izzo, Pearcey, and Ivan. As a result, both he and the club agreed on mutual termination. He had the opportunity to sign with a couple of other clubs, but opted not to. Sat on the bench for 1 or 2 of Sydney's youth games, but I'm fairly sure he never actually ended up signing, or playing.

**EDIT** - just seen he is actually now playing in their NPL squad. Glad to see he is back in the game, wonder if he will decide to make his way back to full time football...
Watched the highlights of his game and he didn't do too well. From watching that I'm not as concerned as I was about losing him. Personally thought he did well when given a chance in the A-League but I didn't get to see his/Pearce's performances in the NPL/NYL because I live in Melbourne. Cheers for the insight on his situation, hope he can do well with Sydney FC as seemed like a good bloke.

Timmah

I've got no doubt THB had potential, but as fans we were literally basing it off a couple of performances in the midst of Izzo's shit-run, and even then THB himself conceded a bunch of goals himself.

Losing him sucked as we never got to explore the potential but I don't see it as 'hurting' the club too much.

dibo

Everything is on fire all the time. Always re-interpret the facts to fit the narrative.

nebakke

I liked THB and thought he had potential but I was more disappointed to see Bray go and I think that's going to hurt us more in a sense... At least potentially.
I figure there aren't a lot of decent first-keepers floating around the league.. Necevski did fine against Sydney and will probably do fine for us, but I still tend to see him as more of a #2, especially considering his age. So the question clearly becomes "what do we do next season?"
I'm thinking someone like Bray might've had just enough first-team experience in the lower leagues that he might be worth a try, but as it stands now, I'm guessing we'd be looking at Necevski to #1 and Pearce for backup and the maybe a slow handover over the next couple of seasons?
I certainly am not keen on the thought of Redmayne returning... Feels a whole lot like having two #2 keepers while keeping Pearce out of the starting squad, which is good because he gets some gametime in NPL hopefully, but sucks because I'd like to see us moving forward somehow.

pjennings

When we picked up Bray we also looked at Chris Oldfield, the 2016 Vic NPL goalkeeper of the year. He was in the process of getting his citizenship then. Playing with Avondale at the top of the Vic NPL after 5 rounds.

Ivan and Chris can fight for number 1 and Adam can continue to learn with the Academy

Big Al

When we picked up Bray we also looked at Chris Oldfield, the 2016 Vic NPL goalkeeper of the year. He was in the process of getting his citizenship then. Playing with Avondale at the top of the Vic NPL after 5 rounds.

Ivan and Chris can fight for number 1 and Adam can continue to learn with the Academy
We now have Paulo so will be interesting to see which way he goes, overseas no names, NPL or former youth stars?

Fishsdad

We now have Paulo so will be interesting to see which way he goes, overseas no names, NPL or former youth stars?

Paulo is very well connected. No matter who he buys (seasoned star or NPL player) there will be a very good reason for the purchase. He said this at the members meeting at the leagues club (just before we went on our winning streak - probably time for another meeting...) when he said that we will not buy 'just anyone'.

This will not absolutely guarantee success, but I reckon it minimises the chances of failure.

JoyfulPenguin

Oldfield/Bray and Necevski would be the way I would go. I think Pearce will be too old for the youth side next year though, so maybe just keep him on speed dial as a potential injury replacement?

Paolo

For everyonw who continually suggests Alastair Bray, can you please outline your reasons why?

When i think of Bray i think of someone who only ever played one (1) match for us but otherwise was frequently unavailable with injury and who has gone on to feature at Victory a further zero times and has been out with another injury (shoulder) since November.

soccer mad

Necevski is fine he has plenty of experience if we get our defence write he will shine . Both our keepers have improved this year so where doing something right, I am sure we will find the replacement for Izzzo . What difference a season makes if Izzzo decided to leave last season we wouldn't give a shit . I want players who embrace our club and are greatful that we give them a platform to grow .

nebakke

For everyonw who continually suggests Alastair Bray, can you please outline your reasons why?

When i think of Bray i think of someone who only ever played one (1) match for us but otherwise was frequently unavailable with injury and who has gone on to feature at Victory a further zero times and has been out with another injury (shoulder) since November.

Sure - so for mine the thing is that I reckon that he performed better in his one game last season than any of the other three goalies that saw game time for us. There was much better stability and communication in defence in that game than just about any other game that season. Combine that with many of us being dumbfounded that he wasn't given the chance to back it up the following weekend with Izzo being out and the chosen option being HB - our youth keeper. It feels like a lot of promise was ignored for some reason.
He then suffered a long-term injury and was written off for the season, signed to MV and had another injury - for mine that's harshly enough to brand him injury prone yet though.
Taking into account that the alternatives for us next season seem to be early promotion of NYL keepers or signing guys that are decided backup keepers, I think he'd have been worth a try.

Wombat

Because he actually looked like a decent keeper. Izzo was absolute shite last year. Ivan was dreadful early season. HTB and Pearce just look like basic kids.
Bray maybe injury prone but showed alot of potential in that 1 game.

JoyfulPenguin

Well maybe I'm a tad bias considering he was Heart youth player but having watched him throughout his youth career with Heart he was always a terrefic keeper. He was desperately unlucky to have not gotten a run when Heart had Tando Velaphi and Andrew Redmayne seemingly because John Aloisi was scared of youth players. When he moved to the NPLV I followed him extensively and was the best keeper, in my humble opinion, in the NPLV from then to when he joined us. He is a genuinely nice human being and one that has worked extremely hard to get to keep his dream alive. He was fantastic in his game against Adelaide and I believe if he can get his body right he can be the best keeper in the A-League.

Last edited:

Big Al

For me it was command of the box that looked most impressive in that game.
Blew his chance by being injured and under TW.
Bad timing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred