• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R2: Sydney FC v CCMFC

greenlig

Felt like watching a Moss game to be honest. I can't believe, with the pace we have, that the best option when advancing across the half way line with the ball is to pass backwards. Suuuurely we can try something, see if we get in behind. We wait and we wait and then oh well there is no pass so back she goes. Fmd. When we conceded the first there was about 2 minutes of play where we advanced, took a risk or two, played something interesting.

Horribly slow decision making in attack, ball watching in the back, Ivan couldn't handle the pressure. Also, Powell is very, very ineffective at #10.

greenlig

Ivan - Slow, heavy touch, moves like a falling log.
Roux - Alright for mine. Probably one of the best of the backs, made some good attacking runs. Didn't screw up horribly?
McGing - Scares me.
Posco - Is good, plays hard etc, and also tries to advance through the middle from time to time. Hope he isn't hurt too bad.
Neill - Scares me, scares himself, plays like he's in his own nightmare at the moment.
Monty - Ok, not great, cannot hit a corner to save himself.
Tav - Ok, bit below the pace of the game at times, didn't distribute broadly enough. Wished he's switched a bit more and tried to exploit the space.
Powell - Not a 10, doesn't seem like he knows how to play behind the forwards.
Trent - Looked a bit off the pace at times, at others had incredible speed. He can deliver a final ball very nicely, how about we use that more.
Roy - I love him. Always working, looks like one of the few professional footballers on the coast atm.
Pain - Tried stuff, a tad 1-dimensional, but runs a lot.
----
Faty - Was best of the backs once he came on, but still got caught ball-watching a bunch.
Appiah - Can't remember anything of note.
Berry - Same.

Okon: Need at least ONE person on the pitch to be adventurous m8. We lack creativity and it shows. A good running 10 to compliment Tav would be lovely, plus a defender please Mr. C.

Last edited:

Wombat

I also thought we looked Moss like. Pointless possession. Make them watch a video of Sydney's movement.
I don't think we got out of our half for the first 15 mins.
We defended far too deep and the gap between our midfield and defence was too big.
Also the midfield weren't showing for the ball enough.
Only a handful of players did ok.....Pain, Paddy, Trent.
McGing did ok, I guess. Roux did ok.....probably should take the corners.
Ivan made Izzo look composed. Neill is a huge worry.
3pts Pain
2pts Paddy
1pt. Trent.

Coastalraider

All the goals were scored via an individual error. Playing from the back with inexperienced players is forcing these errors, so we shouldn't be too surprised. But if you look across the back 4 that started, it's a lineup that we have seen make regular individual mistakes last year, except maybe Posco. We need to recruit, and we need to do it soon. Paulo has indicated he will be shopping, let's hope he can do it sooner rather than later.

Big Al

Hnmmm anyone else starting to fear something is going on between Fabio and Okon?
Ferreira on Friday, who is still regaining fitness.

"Whether he starts the game or comes off the bench, or just misses out because of what we're looking for further on in the season is still yet to be decided," he said.

Big Al

Okon is good. Team looks good just has shit players delivering his product.

Monty just doesn't suit. Fab is good but doesn't defend and Trent going well so could dump both and get two CB's of quality then just need a LB to be decent.

Posco is great but made of glass.

Neill always gets caught out when we turn the ball over.

They muscled up on Pain and gave him no space.

Agree with Wombat there is a big gap between mid's and backs especially when turn it over.

Who was the biggest muppet? Referee, Ivan Neill or all 3

McGing penalty was a shocker, complete bias by ref like last year. Glad Paul didn't stand for it like TW.

2 games two penalties for hand ball denied

Some of those mistakes aren't made by under 6's just killing ourselves like last year. Sa,e shit cattle same shit mistakes

Let's fast forward to the new squad next year

Rowdy

I don't think we got out of our half for the first 15 mins.
We didnt!
Arnie had them pushing a high line from the get go, knowing Okon would want us to keep possesion and play out.

Wilko & Jurman where constantly standing on the halfway line, I'll be surprised they didnt finish the game with white boots.

Sydney made those first 15-20 mins like a training drill of 'half a pitch', waiting for our 'possession/play-out' to breakdown from error and then pounce.

Monty & Tav should've been 'faking' to play out to the lhs - have Neil turn it back inside and then dinking little diagonal balls 'in behind' to the opposite side (rhs) for Budgie to exploit with his pace.

Vice versa - faking play to the right and doing the same for Pain to get in behind on the lhs.

We just kept 'recycling' until we turned it over, a high possesion stat is fcuking useless if you dont utillise that possession!

Last edited:

Rowdy

When an opposition is parked on the halfway line YOU TURN THEM AROUND!

and do it multiple times, theyll drop soon enough - giving up more of the midfield for you to then play out like Okon wanted.

He's a DEFENDER, he should know that (the above) and was amazed he allowed Arnie to box-him-in, in his own half like that for the opening 20 mins.

A quicker ball speed might have helped to play out and around that, but we passed too slow, mainly due I think to an indecisiveness of 'what to do???' to combat that half pitch press.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I wonder if Okon was changing tactics this game - we have a good possession game so I wonder if he wanted us to play it out from the back.
Problem is our mids aren't creating enough to be able to support it, our backs....well, the less involvement they have on the game the better, and overall I worry that we don't have the cohesion, experience and skill to be drastically changing tactics each game.
Just a guess.

I don't have a complaint about the penalty - arms were all over him, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that pulled him off balance as he was trying to turn away. Sometimes these get given, sometimes not.

Our attack isn't going to be energised when we're conceding multiple goals each game.
Faty might have earned his spot back.

FFC Mariner

Problem is simple. We have a squad that isnt a league standard.
You cant blame park footballers for not being able to compete at a higher level.

Timmah

Can Okon Out posts be an instant ban at least this early in the season?

I come here for reasoned discussion not Facebook comments-type dross

Big Al

We didnt!
Arnie had them pushing a high line from the get go, knowing Okon would want us to keep possesion and play out.

Wilko & Jurman where constantly standing on the halfway line, I'll be surprised they didnt finish the game with white boots.

Sydney made those first 15-20 mins like a training drill of 'half a pitch', waiting for our 'possession/play-out' to breakdown from error and then pounce.

Monty & Tav should've been 'faking' to play out to the lhs - have Neil turn it back inside and then dinking little diagonal balls 'in behind' to the opposite side (rhs) for Budgie to exploit with his pace.

Vice versa - faking play to the right and doing the same for Pain to get in behind on the lhs.

We just kept 'recycling' until we turned it over, a high possesion stat is fcuking useless if you dont utillise that possession!
Don't agree about the high line of SFC, they sat back and said play with it all you want back there but as soon as you try to come over half way we know you will bugger it up and we will pounce then.

First goal that caught out Neill was from just inside half way.

Last week we turned our bodies and rolled some defenders in second half. Today there was none of that and that caused some turn overs as SFC were a bit more harassing. Just dumb passes that weren't going anywhere positive. It's hard fiddling with it at the back because they get nervous thinking I can't just sit with the ball all day. Backs are not brought up to pass the ball between themselves they are taught to get it the hell out of here.

I saw a bit of Our Arnie days today in style of play just a massive player ability difference

Gratis

Said it before and I'll say it again - this style of play takes months to start to bare fruit. That's with quality players (so may take us a little longer).
I don't mean to be unfair there - arguably we do have such players just not across the whole park. This puts the team out of sync from the get go. Eg. Roy makes the right run but the pass gets there late - attack fizzles out. Point is one weak pass can ruin a whole play and not just the last pass. Our lack of capability across the entire field makes that true more times than not.

I rate Okon so far and think he'll be great for us. Also looking forward to seeing what he can do with a squad he can shape himself.

Loving that boy Trent too. Still green but is going to do very good things

Wombat

Sydney are a good side.
City and Perth will have a three way battle with Bling for the title.
Brisbane and Adelaide are the next tier down.
Victory maybe minutely below those two.
Us, Scum, Wellington and Drive bys will scrap over the spoon.

Timmah

City and Sydney are light years ahead of the rest of the comp.

Perth a mild third. Roar might get in and around there.

Adelaide Victory WSW making up the numbers.

Us, Jets and Nix fighting it out for the bottom three.

ballantyne

We rarely turned SFC around. They played most of the game facing our goal which is a shame because we have pace on the wings and could've gone over the top much more often.
We're at a stage where conceding only two would be a big improvement. On tonight's evidence, having seen most of the other teams now, another spoon is a certainty.
It's going to take a special kind of mood for the supporters to see this season out.

Big Al

Paolo in the press

“My mindset right at the moment is we wanted to win the game and I thought we came here tonight very brave, we dominated possession,” Okon said. “It was 80-20 at one stage and for most the game it was 70-30 but we conceded four goals.

“That’s the way we want to play football, I’m happy with the team but of course if you’re going to make school boy errors against any opposition let alone a team who’s in form and playing at home you’re going to concede goals. It’s an area we need to work on and that’s exactly what we’re going to do.

“I think we were the better side tonight and I challenge anyone to disagree with me, someone needs to explain to me the handball rule because that’s two in two weeks. That would have made it 2-1 if we scored, if O’Donovan’s finish goes in it’s 2-2 and maybe we’re talking about something different.

“We never gave up, we continued to play our football and we will get better at it and I’m confident that we will win football games.

“Bobo’s a big boy and to knock him over it takes more than the wind, from where I was sitting, very soft.

“I don’t think the style of football costed us four goals tonight, it almost scored us a couple of goals so that’s the thing. Tonight the focus will be on the four goals and not on our style of play and the way we will score goals and the way we should have scored goals tonight. That’s my vision and it aint gonna change, we just need to be more resilient.

“When we’re in possession I think we can hurt teams, it’s about being a bit more brave and we’re working on it.

“The goals we scored last week and the opportunities we created last night are not by chance, they are what we work on.

“We’ve got someone up top that we want to give opportunities because we know Roy’s a goal scorer,” Okon said.

Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...qdnhwznp3nsi1kctmh9752co6#MJvuRULfTmbgRPvg.99

JoyfulPenguin

My team ratings:
Ivan Necevski 2
Distribution was terrible, positioning was horrible, was at direct fault for two of our goals and overall had a disastrous game. If there is lack of improvement next week then Izzo/Heward-Belle/Pearce should start.

Storm Roux 4.5
Body positioning wasn't great when receiving the ball and failed to combine with Buhagiar for a majority of the game as well as present an option going forward. Adelson's injury replacement player is needed to provide competition for places.

Jacob Poscoliero 5
Was at fault for one goal but can be excused because of injury. Needed next week if fit.

Jacques Faty 5
Much improved on last week but that isn't saying much. Offered a calm head but more is needed from a visa player.

Jake McGing 4.5
Looked terrified of passing forward and clumsily gave away a penalty. Needs to improve.

Michael Neill 2.5
Horrendous body positioning when going forward and was directly at fault for two goals. Provided zero support for Pain, offered no runs to cautious centre halves and every touch he took was back towards goal. Had one of his worst games.

Nick Montgomery 4.5
Worked tirelessly defensively but struggled to be an option going forward.

Mickael Taveres 6
Linked with the center halves nicely but couldn't generate forward momentum. Saved Mickey Neill's blushes with terrific tackling. Needs more movement from Powell.

Adam Berry 4.5
Provided energy but his passing let him down badly.

Blake Powell 4
Assured our most dangerous opportunity but was nowhere to be seen for a majority of the game. Couldn't find the right positions to be an option and even when found often lacked the passing range and decision making to execute the pass.

Trent Buhagiar 7
Was our best and on another day would have had a goal and an assist. Fought gallantly and deserves to keep his place.

Kwabena Appiah 5.5
Was very positive when he came on and learnt from last week to use his pace.

Roy O'Donovan 6
Wasn't his night but pressed and harried very well. Can't be asked to do much more with such poor service.

Connor Pain 6
Couldn't find the final ball but fought his way into lots of good positions. Needed overlap from Neill and often looked isolated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred