• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R17: Brisbane Roar vs Mariners, in Brisvegas

Ancient Mariner

I don't know enough about the game to comment

Then why post a comment like::

"WTF Hutch!? That one was entirely on you!"

I am utterly sick and tired of reading the posters on this forum death riding. It happened a few years ago with Kwas being the whipping boy then three years ago when serious began the first hate attack on Hutch.

This year it has been Charlesworth who saved the club from possible extinction and then round two on Hutch.

Many of the posters here do not realise which side their bread is buttered on but are more than happy to sit back and abuse those who bleed sweat and dollars for their entertainment.

I have been on this forum(under 2 different handles) since the month after it kicked off the year before the A-League started. And followed the team since the first trial game at Christie Park.

I thank Adz and Dibo for competently organizing a great forum, but there are too many idiots posting here who would rather knock than support that take away the enjoyment.

It is time I followed the path taken by so many others with whom one used to be able to have an intelligent discusstion and unbiased analyses of the games, the players and the club

true believer

I took some positives out of today's game.... Caceres showed us he is a six not a ten... Fitzy is getting better each week as is Matty S ... Ibini like wow ... with the new players in ... we could be quite a force ... Duke is my main concern... needs to get his confidence back...

The big question is their is no room for Caceres, Monty & Hutch in the starting line up ... Caceres is the first choice for me leaving Monty and Hutch to share the other position...
monty can call the game to mossey from upstairs next week.
I think Bernie must start next week . sterjo is the 10

Last edited:

Capt. Awesome

I took some positives out of today's game.... Caceres showed us he is a six not a ten... Fitzy is getting better each week as is Matty S ... Ibini like wow ... with the new players in ... we could be quite a force ... Duke is my main concern... needs to get his confidence back...

The big question is their is no room for Caceres, Monty & Hutch in the starting line up ... Caceres is the first choice for me leaving Monty and Hutch to share the other position...

I think our game plan didn't suit Caceres. We did not play possession. We only played long balls on the counter. He was quiet because the ball was getting hit past him. I think when he had the ball he played well.

Wombat

I am utterly sick and tired of reading the posters on this forum death riding. It happened a few years ago with Kwas being the whipping boy then three years ago when serious began the first hate attack on Hutch.

This year it has been Charlesworth who saved the club from possible extinction and then round two on Hutch.

Many of the posters here do not realise which side their bread is buttered on but are more than happy to sit back and abuse those who bleed sweat and dollars for their entertainment.

I have been on this forum(under 2 different handles) since the month after it kicked off the year before the A-League started. And followed the team since the first trial game at Christie Park.

I thank Adz and Dibo for competently organizing a great forum, but there are too many idiots posting here who would rather knock than support that take away the enjoyment.

It is time I followed the path taken by so many others with whom one used to be able to have an intelligent discusstion and unbiased analyses of the games, the players and the club

Dont be such a girl.
Not everyone is a sheep.
Some of us feel the need to tell the truth not sugar coat everything.
If Hutcho played like he did in the grand final you would never hear a bad word spoken against him.
Having said that Hutcho was reasonable tonight, still some issues with his game but overall quite good.

Kareem

Gotta feel for storm, completely owned by broich all night then gives them the winner.

Great effort against the best team in the comp by a country mile

Anyone remember when broich last dominated a young mariner rookie down our right hand side?

At bluetongue during brisbanes double season???

The lad turned out pretty good...

NB: I realise nobody is crucifying young storm. But I still would like to draw a parallel...

nebakke

I didnt say that I don't know enough to comment on the match, just on the overall tactical position.. Besides, this is a discussion forum, if you can't handle it, do as you please...

Mate, you can be frustrated about the forum etc... But don't bloody pin it on me... I made ONE (count 1) bad comment about Hutch... I never claimed that he should be going, I never suggested that, on a whole, he played a poor game, I stated that I perceived this as being a mistake of his... Much like I whinged about Pasfield after he dropped the ball against the Jets, in spite of being in favor of him in goal then. I'm not going to let the like of a player get in the way of commenting on his play at the time.

pjennings

After watching that game - and all other games this weekend I seem to be a lot more positive than most here.

We pushed the Roar for 90 minutes and could easily have had a draw That performance - with a team rocked by the loss of the current mariners medal winner and last seasons runaway golden boot winner in stifling conditions that the Roar are used to gives me plenty to be happy about. Let's face it - that is the thinnest our squad will be - with I think all available players in the match day squad. We have Bosnar, Seung-Yong and possibly Cernak to come into the squad. When we play them later in the year at the pointy end of the season the weather will be cooler and will suit us more.

Brisbane have stolen a march which I had hoped we might have been able to slow down this week. I think we are playing well enough (and others bad enough) for us to finish in the top 2 for the 4th time in a row. We have the experience in the ACL that WSW do not have and I think they will struggle to handle multiple games in a week (they've already shown this).

From 2nd it's a simple matter of winning two games to go back to back. It might not happen - but even finishing top 2 or 3 in what is realistically a transition year would be an amazing effort and one we were not expected to do at the beginning of the year.

scouse_roar

Surprisingly negative tonight, considering the great stuff you played against the Jest. Simon flops about asking for fouls a lot for a bloke of his build, if he attempted to stay on his feet more he and the team would have benefited. Wondered why Ibini wasn't played through the middle, if I were Moss I'd have started him and played him up front so his tracking back was a non-issue and he could burst onto the longballs heaved up all night, rather than being isolated or outnumbered when making the same runs from a wide position.

Mind you, glad he didn't do it that way, 7 points and a game on WSW, 10 clear of you lot... Not long left.

Good to see a healthy contingent of away support at Suncorp as always, hope those of you with PTSD from 2011 who haven't returned do so soon. Looked like they were having a blast - at least in the first half.

scottmac

Suspended
Surprisingly negative tonight, considering the great stuff you played against the Jest. Simon flops about asking for fouls a lot for a bloke of his build, if he attempted to stay on his feet more he and the team would have benefited. Wondered why Ibini wasn't played through the middle, if I were Moss I'd have started him and played him up front so his tracking back was a non-issue and he could burst onto the longballs heaved up all night, rather than being isolated or outnumbered when making the same runs from a wide position.

Mind you, glad he didn't do it that way, 7 points and a game on WSW, 10 clear of you lot... Not long left.

Good to see a healthy contingent of away support at Suncorp as always, hope those of you with PTSD from 2011 who haven't returned do so soon. Looked like they were having a blast - at least in the first half.
Surprising?
We've played the same game plan against you for nearly 3 years now , some games being more successful than others.
This whole negative football is crap is bullshit. Our problems are well documented. I'd love to see what would happen if the roar went through something like this. Took Mulvey quite some time to bring Brisbane back up to speed when Ange left imagine losing, Berisha, Broich, Brattan, Theo, (insert 3 more players here) & your coach, then change owners & staying at the top end of the table.

scouse_roar

Surprising?
We've played the same game plan against you for nearly 3 years now , some games being more successful than others.
This whole negative football is crap is bullshit. Our problems are well documented. I'd love to see what would happen if the roar went through something like this. Took Mulvey quite some time to bring Brisbane back up to speed when Ange left imagine losing, Berisha, Broich, Brattan, Theo, (insert 3 more players here) & your coach, then change owners & staying at the top end of the table.

We lost Ange and a few key players and finished fourth and as semi finalists after that. I'd imagine you will do similar, since Moss is a decent coach.

It's negative football, of course it is. We had players out left right and centre against the Nux and still got a win playing attractive, attacking football. You can't blame player exits or injury for changing your entire style of play based on your opposition. When you change your style wholesale to suit your opponent, they're half way to winning as soon as a ball is kicked in anger. If you'd come out and attacked like against the Jets - particularly against Stef, who has lost a yard of pace, and Donachie, who was being played out of position - you might have been in a position to win rather than trying to park the bus once you'd jagged a penalty.

You lot have a good team with some young, exciting players and you play like that, and defer to your opponents? After thrashing your rivals with good football the week before? I'd be more angry with that than the result. Play the Central Coast way, whatever that may be.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
to be honest, I was watching the game through the blur of a forthcoming migraine so miniscule detail eluded me...BUT.. I thought the Roar were gonna decimate us, and thats not a knock on our boys, but the Snore do have Broich on form and Ferret head was back in the squad...so I'm happy we held them out till 87 or so mins....agreed, AC isnt a #10, put him back were he belongs...and Fitzy was brilliant, had the feeling there was a get square going on there, he got a touch up or two off Donachie...Bernie done good when he came on ....I hope this suspension of Monty's doesnt preclude him from further arm band wearing in the future

MoM..Fitzy

Big Al

Big improvement since the last game against the Roar.

We actually wrestled back control for 10 minute periods in each half.

We still can't handle the pressing but our defensive setup is looking solid.

Storm while schooled by Broich didn't to to badly against him he wasn't burnt on any thing I can remember. For a young lad he did well but the help he received was vital. However that throw was poor & example of what happened to us earlier in the year. Stupid error gets punished.

Berni was unreal - Best way to break the attack is to dribble threw it not long balls over it.

The roar are well not dirty but nippy. They are constantly harassing, pushing in the back & nipping heals. At Bluetongue they got away with it. Here they didn't Ref was on them so you can take your Roar coloured glasses off about Simon.

Big missed opportunity but they way the second half started it was when not if. Unlucky not to get a point it would have been a good confidence booster.

Looking much better - Lets hope the reinforcements don't wack us out of rythem again.

Sieve is Shit - Swinging tackles at blokes a metre or two away. Never again should he be seen in Yellow & Blue. Should have been a condition on Trent's sale - You have to take the sieve as well.

Zac has been going all right - Not in any where the same class as Tesco but covered him admirably.

Big Al

Nice to see everyone warming to Fitzy. Looked good early in the season. My only concern was his desire to get dirty on defence. Could still be an issue but looking comfortable out there

dibo

I don't want to alarm anyone, but we've played the same style of football for at least three years, probably longer.

We aren't negative as such, but we can play for extended periods without the ball relatively comfortably because of the basic shape of our defence.

We drop into a neat 4-4-2, and we sit our strikers high between the opposition's fullbacks and centre backs. The two banks of 4 sit close together to close up space, and force the other team to play around us or over us. It's a defensive formula that yields exceptional results, but it often means we spend extended periods watching the other team knock the ball around on the halfway line.

In possession, we aren't generally cavalier - we'll find spaces where we can and often use diagonal balls to expose a fullback who's drifted too narrowly and either beat him down the flank or release a player inside him as the other team's defence slides over. But if this isn't on, we're often pretty happy to keep the ball in triangles fairly deep waiting for the other side to press too high (this is the bit where I'm cheering Hutch while other people are shouting to get it forward). When they do, we send the quicker passes and try to exploit the space they've opened up in their own structure.

It's most evident when we get the ball to a fullback and the opponent thinks they've got an opportunity to press. We very very often find a ball to a CB or Hutch, who then switches with a square ball to a fullback to bomb up the other flank. We expose space by inviting them to one side, and then hit on the other.

I get why this is called negative, but it's more about control. We want to control the play without the ball (denying options); we want to control the play with the ball (waiting for options). It's important for us particularly with such a thin squad - we can't be all action, we can't run all day - we have neither the legs to burn nor the available cover to do it.

So we slow the game down and try to bring it back to our pace. This is of course exacerbated when you go to Brisbane and play the top team in the country in the hardest conditions.

When we struggle most is when we play another fairly patient team - like Wanderers - they don't press as high and they don't give up their shape. That's why we created a few more genuine chances yesterday than we typically do against Wanderers.

Big Al

Also we don't have the same quality passers out of the back as last year & are therefore turning the ball over to often against the press.

Reddy, Zac, Sieve & Griffo aren't anywhere as capable with the ball at there feet as Ryan, Sainsbury & Patrick were.

Think this is effecting Rose as he doesn't look as comfortable going forward. Not sure he going to get a decent ball & if he needed at the back to help cover. Rose therefore not looking the player we was last year.

That's why we play well against SFC they have no idea how to press or defend.

scottmac

Suspended
We lost Ange and a few key players and finished fourth and as semi finalists after that. I'd imagine you will do similar, since Moss is a decent coach.

It's negative football, of course it is. We had players out left right and centre against the Nux and still got a win playing attractive, attacking football. You can't blame player exits or injury for changing your entire style of play based on your opposition. When you change your style wholesale to suit your opponent, they're half way to winning as soon as a ball is kicked in anger. If you'd come out and attacked like against the Jets - particularly against Stef, who has lost a yard of pace, and Donachie, who was being played out of position - you might have been in a position to win rather than trying to park the bus once you'd jagged a penalty.

You lot have a good team with some young, exciting players and you play like that, and defer to your opponents? After thrashing your rivals with good football the week before? I'd be more angry with that than the result. Play the Central Coast way, whatever that may be.

Like dibo said we've not changed our style of play completely as you put it. We've been doing it for years & we adapt to the opposition i'd have to say better than any team in the A-League. It's why we are always competitive.
You'll go into Asia trying to out pass technically better teams. Some will say bravo for giving it a go & playing football. Others will say you idiots, & point at the score board.
The mariners will do it their way. Like we always have & adapt to the opposition & the resources we have available.
If playing it long is a better option we'll do it. If playing possession will get the points we'll do it.
We'll get crucified for it by social media & people like you but that's because your team is different.
You've been blessed with a great squad. Why the need to berate a different style? There is no right or wrong way to play football, just different ones.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred