• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R11 v Adelaide

turbo

Their academy is also showing some really good prospects lately while ours has had a few reboots over recent years from what I understand.

FFC Mariner

Their youth team wasnt that great - 1 really good prospect and an AL quality keeper stopped us flogging them. dont underestimate the potential we have in youth. There are some outstanding prospects (no, not you Tongyik)

style_cafe

I think it is a poor coaching option to move your best centre back out to left fullback just to plug a hole and just because he is left footed.

You are now putting one of your best players in a position where he is not his best as well as weakening the position he has just left.

At this stage Mick I think its not only a good option but possibly our only option at the moment.
Rowles has played left back for us numerous times,he knows the left side plays well and is a very strong defender.
The fact that he`s left footed adds to the merit of his `temporary` move,I certainly wouldn`t put him there `just because` he`s left footed
he has so many other attributes that suggests he could do a job for us there.

Would you rather Tonyik or Fox play there then to plug the hole, because it`s a hole that keeps getting bigger as other teams exploit the weakness.
Who would you play there?...:popcorn:

Last edited:

style_cafe

Clisby doesn’t look comfortable at all imo. But more comfortable than Rowles... *chuckle* yeah that’s a given.

Rosey never looked comfortable in the opposition half and Bojic was diabolical the closer he got to the opposition goal.
I don`t think Bojic ever cut a ball back from the by-line in his entire career and opposition keepers would be smiling as Rosey got closer,
but they were two of our best fullbacks,so who know`s how others would go unless they are given a chance....:popcorn:

turbo

but they were two of our best fullbacks,
What is expected of the wide defenders has shifted as the game evolves. It’s almost universally required that in a back 4 your wide backs provide attacking width/overload now. Rowles has demonstrated that its not his strength as he’s more of a traditional CB. IMO the answer for us might be a back 3 if we don’t have an alternative LB to call upon. Give Clisby a rest and chance to refocus on hitting those crosses while still tracking back if we need to play him.

turbo

Victory beat City so getting some points from this just became even more important. Hopefully Newcastle doesn’t get anything out of Perth.

marinermick

At this stage Mick I think its not only a good option but possibly our only option at the moment.
Rowles has played left back for us numerous times,he knows the left side plays well and is a very strong defender.
The fact that he`s left footed adds to the merit of his `temporary` move,I certainly wouldn`t put him there `just because` he`s left footed

Would you rather Tonyik or Fox play there then to plug the hole, because it`s a hole that keeps getting bigger as other teams exploit the weakness.

I previously gave the option of Stensness there. Though I am warning to his contributions in the midfield. If Hatch is not up to standard (don’t know much about him) then we will continue to play Clisby there. That’s the downside of trying to maintain the minimum of a salary cap.

We really can’t afford, in a thin squad, to play one of our best players out of position. I have seen enough football over the years to know this rarely works.

FFC Mariner

Hatch is a much beeter player than Clisby and is at the same level as Lewis Miller. A young player who will be inconsistent and make mistakes. He isnt Clisby, get him in

style_cafe

I previously gave the option of Stensness there. Though I am warning to his contributions in the midfield. If Hatch is not up to standard (don’t know much about him) then we will continue to play Clisby there. That’s the downside of trying to maintain the minimum of a salary cap.

We really can’t afford, in a thin squad, to play one of our best players out of position. I have seen enough football over the years to know this rarely works.

In a perfect world i`d agree but Rowles is probably the only field player that hasn`t swapped positions this season.
These are professional footballers and Staj has really stepped up the training this week.
Trying Rowles at LB isn`t going to kill us especially if Fox play`s as a CB.
Fox was one of our best players in the first 2 rounds before the alleged dummy spit,so I don`t think we`ll lose much with him coming in.
We will however,stop the leaks on the left side and when Rowles goes forward Stens (at left DM) can slot in to cover for him.
Stens has been in our top 3 performers this season so moving him to LB would be the same as what you are saying about Rowles in that position, and leaving Clisby at LB is like the definition of madness...:popcorn:

shipwreck

Has anyone seen formations at training to suggest that Nisbet is gonna start or Rowles is going to LB... Or is this all just speculation and we're just gonna see the exact same line up were all actually expecting

marinermick

Has anyone seen formations at training to suggest that Nisbet is gonna start or Rowles is going to LB... Or is this all just speculation and we're just gonna see the exact same line up were all actually expecting

I doubt Staj will change much from last last week. Maybe Oar for Silvera and back to to 4-2-2-2.

Nothing in his history suggests a major change after a solid performance

Forum Phoenix

I doubt Staj will change much from last last week. Maybe Oar for Silvera and back to to 4-2-2-2.

Nothing in his history suggests a major change after a solid performance

Agree, don’t. see any changes likely.

But I’m really hoping I get to say wow Clisby actually did a great job for us in that win. Not having yet another rant on the back of an avoidable loss.

That said, Staj has surprised me a few times. And he does have enough options to be able to mix it up a bit.

Ozhammer

There are plenty of other teams who have/are playing a righty at LB and whilst it’s not ideal, it can be made to work imo.

The solution is obvious to me play 3 at the back with two wing backs (Oar and SS or DDS) in a 3-5-2 or if going 4 at the back put Fox or Ziggy there (it was said pre-season that Zygmunt can play anywhere across the back line iirc) 3-2-4-1 (or 3-2-3-1-1) might work or 4-2-3-1 as long as that doesn’t include Clisby.

pjennings

There are plenty of other teams who have/are playing a righty at LB and whilst it’s not ideal, it can be made to work imo.

The solution is obvious to me play 3 at the back with two wing backs (Oar and SS or DDS) in a 3-5-2 or if going 4 at the back put Fox or Ziggy there (it was said pre-season that Zygmunt can play anywhere across the back line iirc) 3-2-4-1 (or 3-2-3-1-1) might work or 4-2-3-1 as long as that doesn’t include Clisby.

The same thing was said of Fox.

shipwreck

I would love to see Oar in for a Clisby but I just think it's such a long shot. Hope I'm wrong, but fully expecting Clisby to start and Oar to come in for SS

turbo

I would love to see Oar in for a Clisby but I just think it's such a long shot. Hope I'm wrong, but fully expecting Clisby to start and Oar to come in for SS
That seems to be likely with what we’ve heard on here this week. Possibly pushing DDS over to the right wingback spot. The other alternative would be Oar for Clisby and Miller for SS. Wonder if SS will have any minutes in him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb