• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R1 - Mariners v WSW Grand Final Rematch

Wombat

Had a great time as always. Flores showed the class he is- so happy to have him. Pasfield gave me some heart in the mouth stuff but saved us many times. Roux was great. A team that has a lot of new players looks to have jelled very well.
We are in band 6 and could hear the trumpet and drums but not a lot else- not the mega. Having said that- without it I'm sure we wouldn't have heard anything at all against the RBB.
Loved the cannon. Hated the new mascots. Loved the "Loose Cannon" handout. Sorry didn't notice the tifo at all.
As for RBB-we somehow got caught up in their walk back and couldn't get past police barricades. 2 of us walked all the way back around the club and had no problem at all. Civilised friendly discussions with quite a few. Maybe we look too old to harass.
Was hoping for a win for my birthday but think a draw was fair.

Happy birthday Sally.

Wombat

Maybe a better set up would be:

Pasfield
Storm boy. Tesco. siep. Rose
Weemac. Monty.Fitzy
Flores
Simon. Duke.

Forum Phoenix

RBB were great. To have that many passionate fans and yet the only shit I saw the RBB guy apologised for stepping over the line.
Heh. Wombat, love it. Solution = Hutch dropped after a blinder. ahahah.:piralaugh:

If only every Mariner was as consistent as you Womby! :thumbup:

That said I think once Danny is back, we might well be wasting our best talent playing a lone striker...

Going to be very competitive. Danny holds the ball up better than any of our forwards and was last years golden boot. Duke is a very exciting prospect and going form strength to strength. Weemac back has to go wide right or left... so 4231... with Mile, Matty S... and I'd like to see some more of Caceres and Slater this season too... Good squad we have.

Wouldn't be dropping Ando either. He will be immense for us. Just wait and see. May even surpass TS by end of season I personally suspect...

Roy Law

A Tale of Two Magicians
The result was predictable but the manner of it was very disappointing; the Mariners had the winning of this but sat back too deep in the later stages and allowed the Wanderers back into it.
This game revolved around the tale of the two magicians: the Wanderers’ Japanese marquee Shinji Ono and the Mariners’ new Argentinean No.10 Marcos Flores; Ono surprisingly starting the game on the bench.
In front of an almost full stadium – how does a sell-out of 20,000 become a crowd of 17,000 – the noise and colour of the packed stands wasn’t matched by the pace of play on offer; it was too early in the season to expect the theatre and drama of the previous encounter at Bluetongue, or the glorious spectacle of the Grand Final.
At the heart of everything good from the Mariners was Flores who makes football look so easy; so much time to play the ball, a sure touch in tight situations, caressing the ball into space, encouraging others, especially the impressive Storm Roux into the play. The Mariners were playing neat and tidy football; conservatively keeping possession with the Wanderers content to sit back and watch. Ten minutes gone and Flores showed us a never before seen variation on the free-kick, after Fitzgerald’s neat skills were rewarded with a foul, introducing his slower ball. It may work in cricket but as the ball gently curved along the ground it went straight through to the keeper.
On fifteen minutes there was a sudden burst of activity as a Wanderers’ clearance found Bridge on the left and his entry into the penalty box sparked an amazing melee as Justin Pasfield produced a dive, a somersault and a backflip, with pike, to pull off a sensational triple save. It was goalkeeping of the highest order: great reflexes, great recovery and excellent positioning.
The Mariners responded immediately, forcing Michael Beauchamp, a rock at the heart of the Wanderers defence, into desperately blocking a goal bound shot from Fitzgerald after good work on the right by Mile Sterjovski.
When Rose dithered on the ball Poljak snapped a half-volley just wide, and then the persistent Haliti almost embarrassing Anderson and Pasfield after Anderson allowed the ball to bounce.
0--0 at half-time; the Mariners probably felt they had played the better football but the Wanderers would feel they had the better of the chances.
The Mariners needed to lift a gear but the pace was still too slow, the Wanderers were untroubled. And then Flores produced a moment of exquisite magic to unlock the impenetrable Wanderers back line. The Mariners pressing high, forcing Covic into a poor clearance that fell to Rose; he fed the ball to Flores who we expected to shoot but instead he gently eased a no-look ball into the path of Duke whose finish matched the class of the pass. It was so effortless, so stunning, so deadly in its execution.
Tony Popovic brought on Shinji Ono and five minutes later a great cheer from the Mariners’ fans welcomed Matt Simon back to his Central Coast. The introduction of Ono was to prove a serendipitous master stroke for Popovic as just minutes later Flores, after another wonderful piece of magic, was to leave the field injured.
Flores sucked in four ball-watching defenders before providing an almost identical pass to the Duke goal finding the darting Fitzgerald but Covic did just enough to smother the shot. In the action of making the pass Flores fell, seemingly untouched, clutching his leg. He limped off to be replaced by Anthony Caceres.
In those few minutes the balance of the game moved away from the Mariners and towards the Wanderers. Popovic had seen how Ono had been subdued by the Mariners defence in the Grand Final so today he held him back until the Mariners defenders began to tire. The Mariners, wary of the new threat dropped deeper the more so because without Flores they had no safe outlet when they won the ball. Ono was all delicate touches and subtle skills forcing the defence even further back; he conjured a marvellous curving top corner free kick but fortunately for the Mariners Pasfield pulled out a spectacular athletic save. The Wanders kept pressing forward and when Caceres failed to control a simple regulation pass they pounced. The ball was moved swiftly to Hersi who for the only time in the game got past Rose to squeeze in the cross; Sainsbury conceded half a yard to Juric, also on as a substitute, and the big youngster gleefully volleyed the ball into the net.
Despite the result the Mariners did pretty well in what was a typical early season game; the opponents were tough and resilient and it is difficult to argue with the result.
Flores was the stand out for me but the Mariners really missed the indefatigable skills of Michael McGlinchey. I don’t remember Roux making a mistake in a fine debut, Rose was very disciplined but will feel disappointed about their goal; Montgomery provided the bite in midfield, Fitzgerald was willing in attack and Duke, with that finish, and Sterjovski both had decent games. Pasfield was excellent in the air and his saves were top drawer; he is no Mat Ryan with his feet but he will take satisfaction from his performance..
Anderson was worryingly indecisive at times and Sainsbury failed to impose himself on the game as he had done in the Grand Final – we do need him to lift his game, to be the leader at the back. Hutchinson looked slow and laborious but it was a pleasure to see Matty mixing it up with the defenders.

bikinigirl

Surprised some thought they outplayed us though.

. yeah i thought we were the better overall ... with a few bad patches and we faded as they lifted at the end which may influence people's perception

. the big difference to me was that they are more physical than us ... and this is where it becomes difficult to avoid homo-erotic sexual innuendo. perhaps they just wanted their own mariners kit ... but the wanderers were overly keen to get our boys out of theirs - far too much pulling and tugging for my liking

. some of their players go to ground far too easily and far too often as well ... they are a better side than that and don't need to resort to that kinda shit. no wonder the wanderers fans love hersi so much ... opposition fans have so many reasons not to like him

bikinigirl

Very accurate re: Flores. At times it looks like he was trying things three steps ahead of where our other forwards were thinking. He would pass it to open space where our players should run, and it worked real well with Duke's goal. Top stuff.

. they need to look him in the eye and ask him to dance

blbjohn

Very happy with the result all in all though all so close to a home opening win. As Arnie said, I think we ran out of legs in the end. I won't repeat a lot of what was said already though:

* I am excited by the signing of Flores having him seen him up close now. A class above the rest and I think he and Duke will be lethal as they gel together over the course of the year.
* Pasfield before this game made me nervous, I left the game a lot less nervous about his shot stopping ability. Wow. My Player of The Game as without him we lose by at least a goal. His ball distribution will need plenty of work though it will come. After he made a couple of early saves he grew in confidence as he will over the course of the season.
* Duke is a talent. Love this guy up front. Will form a lethal combo with Flores though will work in well with McBreen when he is back from his spell on loan.

The atmosphere was great, well done all. It was disappointing to see empty seats when we telling all that this was a sell out. The Western Sydney Wanderers fans were great and the group I sat near were a great group of football fans who loved their team. The guys we bumped in to on the way home were equally great. It was a great atmosphere created by all that attended.

I don't drink all too much and was thankful for that: the beer lines were ridiculous.

October 26 cannot come quick enough though I look forward to our first away game vs. my old mate Harry Kewell (I am a LUFC fan) and Melbourne Heart.

Big Al

TIFO - Looked fantastic - Great colour & design

RBB - Were great but they need some new tunes - Very repetitive - 3 or 4 really good chants but nothing else. THey just do them over & over & over. Maybe I'm deaf but one chant sounds like this is the best trip I've ever been on & then a line or two later I want to go home?

Members Hat & Scarf - I like them

Shinji Ono - it's the little things that show a man's class - The two disabled teams lined up to form a guard of honour for the players as they were to come out the tunnel. shinji came out early as he wasn't starting maybe 4-5 minutes before the teams. We walked up & shook the hands of the wanders team one & by one then took the effort to walk over to our guys & shake each one of the hands basically going back towards to sheds to get each one of them before moving over to where he wanted to go. A small gesture & sure he had the time but he could have easily shook the hands of the wanders guys & kept going. Class act & the WSW should be very proud of him & I'm sure the guys he shook hands with would have appreciated it.

JP - Excellent effort - But he better keep it up - Reddy will be breathing down his neck. Ruddan his Sydney United Coach (biased maybe) said he was by far the best keeper in the premier league. He also said he sat him down & started the transformation of Reddy including teaching him how to be a better man & gave him some responsibility including make him part of the leadership group @ SU which he said he had never been part of some thing like that & relished the opportunity.

Rose - Owned Hersi for all but one play - Great effort but that's football - Trent should have cut off the pass as well but I think was to tired to get a leg to it or the ball was just to good & hit Juric instead of Sains at the perfect time

Flores - Great touch fantastic passing - Fitzy manges to lift that pass over Covic & we win 2-0 IMO - However Flores appears heavy & slow to me - He can't beat his man with speed - Couple of touches were to heavy including the touch before he hit Duke for the goal - Actually his bad first touch put him in position to make that pass.

Duke - Awesome finish - But it was obvious he was fading fast - Hot day & not used to playing full games - Game on as super sub a lot last year - Those two breaks in the last 10-15 mins he hit shots wide of covic from 5-10m outside the box because he was buggered - Usually he'd put the pedal to the metal & blow by. Welcome to the starting 11 Dukey.

Zac - Copped a mini pasting on Fox sports for his bad distribution - Did look a little uncomfortable on the ball.

Storm - Great debut for CCM - Keep it up & it'll be Pedj who - Saw a girl at the Club before the game wearing an old Pedj jersey. You've got to hate that as a fan when they leave

WSW - Really well setup - Really made us uncomfortable especially in the 1st half.

CCM - Will be good for the Run - Fitzy looking good for this year. Missed We Mac & Mcbreen.

Great night out - Great atmosphere

Anyone but Arnie for Aussie Job

Big Al

Sorry forgot the Band -Awesome idea - Wife loved it - RBB drowned them out down our end Bay 4.

Either need an amplifier or RBB to go home.

dibo

Storm Roux had a fantastic debut - I don't think we're going to want for much on that flank, the kid's bloody good. Puts my mind at ease, and raises the bar for Morton to make the starting lineup.

Pasfield had a good day too, probably kept us in it - he was busier than Covic, that's for sure.

We've had an off-season that started later than the other clubs, so we're not going to be at full pace for a few weeks.

Similar story to last year, when we didn't hit form until round 5 (we won against Perth in R2 and Heart in R4, but weren't convincing, but then we demolished Sydney). We didn't hit the front until December.

nofearboy169

The new squad played quite well. Storm Roux is an excellent player. Pretty sure that Luxe hat guy won't be missed.
With Flores, it could have gone two ways...absolutely amazing or just another year like last season. Well, I think its going to be an excellent season for him. He played so well against WSW.

On another note, massive props to the Yellow Army and all the new things they have brought to Bay 16 and Bluetongue Stadium this year. New chants, attempting to be the catalyst for full stadium participation, the first tifo was awesome and that brass band was amazing. And that new Tetris themed chant, dead set ripper! I know it took a little while for the Western stand to respond to the call out, but if you guys keep calling out every week, the number of responders will grow. Just needs a couple of people in each bay to pluck up the courage to call out, and the rest will catch on....this season is going to be unreal in that stadium and its all thanks to the Yellow Army boys!

priorpeter

The new squad played quite well. Storm Roux is an excellent player. Pretty sure that Luxe hat guy won't be missed.
With Flores, it could have gone two ways...absolutely amazing or just another year like last season. Well, I think its going to be an excellent season for him. He played so well against WSW.

On another note, massive props to the Yellow Army and all the new things they have brought to Bay 16 and Bluetongue Stadium this year. New chants, attempting to be the catalyst for full stadium participation, the first tifo was awesome and that brass band was amazing. And that new Tetris themed chant, dead set ripper! I know it took a little while for the Western stand to respond to the call out, but if you guys keep calling out every week, the number of responders will grow. Just needs a couple of people in each bay to pluck up the courage to call out, and the rest will catch on....this season is going to be unreal in that stadium and its all thanks to the Yellow Army boys!

Thanks brother. I freaking loved that tetris chant. One of my mates jokingly suggested in on Thursday night and I thought it was crazy enough to work for us.

Thanks to everyone who's given their messages of support. Onwards from here, hopefully we keep getting bigger and better.

f**k, it's great to be back.

finally retired

Sorry forgot the Band -Awesome idea - Wife loved it - RBB drowned them out down our end Bay 4.

Either need an amplifier or RBB to go home.
agree Big Al....everyone around us thought the Brass Band was fantastic. We will never have the numbers like WSW or Sydney...but having something different shows how smart CCM fans are.....great idea. Keep it up :thumbup:

Lowlander

My take on the game:

Firstly, we are back playing football, some equilibrium has been restored to my life. Love the band, love the cannon, like the new mascots, couldn't hear the mega, love the YA enthusiasm. I sit in bay 8 and there were people around me that are very aware of what the YA is trying to achieve, they followed the YA lead, more will follow, I am sure of that. Could not make out any of the chants and am finding the forum a bit hard to follow in terms of what chants have been decided on and to what tunes with which lyrics. Official song sheets would be awesome. No issues with WSW fans at all and was surprised to see only 2 flares go off, I was expecting a lot more

I was happy with JP but clearly he has no left foot on him. Flores was great. If one man can draw in that many defenders continually and still make chances he has to be quality. Monty/Hutch/Rose/Duke, no nonsense business as usual. Storm will slot in well, still want to see more of him to get a good measure of his abilities but I liked what I saw. We missed some creative midfield play in WeeMac though. Once the back line clicks with WeeMac and in turn with Flores we will make plenty of chances I am sure.

Was worried about Siep being benched, for an import player I had assumed the skill and experience would be there to be a sure starter and for others to really fight for that spot or is he simply not yet match fit and struggling playing in the heat?

GA looked like he changed things up after half time with 3 at the back whenever we had possession, giving an extra man going forward and dropping back to a 4 man backline immediately when WSW were advancing. To me the game came down to tactical experience and both coaches gave a good account of themselves. I also think it took Anderson a while to find his rhythm but I thought he was starting to come good around the time he was subbed, not sure if the equaliser can be square put down to this or not.

Matt Simon looked a little slow, not quite the "dog at a bone" he once was.

eenfish

Was worried about Siep being benched, for an import player I had assumed the skill and experience would be there to be a sure starter and for others to really fight for that spot or is he simply not yet match fit and struggling playing in the heat?

From the looks of it, he hasn't quite gelled with the rest of the set up. Give him time, I reckon he will be swell.

Wombat

RBB were great. To have that many passionate fans and yet the only shit I saw the RBB guy apologised for stepping over the line.
Heh. Wombat, love it. Solution = Hutch dropped after a blinder. ahahah.:piralaugh:

If only every Mariner was as consistent as you Womby! :thumbup:

That said I think once Danny is back, we might well be wasting our best talent playing a lone striker...

Going to be very competitive. Danny holds the ball up better than any of our forwards and was last years golden boot. Duke is a very exciting prospect and going form strength to strength. Weemac back has to go wide right or left... so 4231... with Mile, Matty S... and I'd like to see some more of Caceres and Slater this season too... Good squad we have.

Wouldn't be dropping Ando either. He will be immense for us. Just wait and see. May even surpass TS by end of season I personally suspect...

Hardly a blinder??? Solid and professional but nothing more. FP, I simply don't like playing with two DM's. (I would have selected Hutcho on the flank this week)... we had no choice last year but Flores gives us options. . Zac was our worst player but I can see he has a lot of potential although I doubt he will pass Tesco any time soon. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the races.

dibo

You might not like playing with two DMs, but we won a championship (and very nearly the league) with two last year. With our fullbacks it suits our strengths (and I'm as surprised as I am pleased to note that with Roux, that strength appears to be as great as last year).

Arnie clearly likes it, so I reckon we'll keep doing it.

My guess:

Pasfield
Roux Anderson Sainsbury Rose
Monty Hutch
McGlinchey Flores Duke
Sterj​

Bench: Seip, Caceres, Fitz, Simon, Reddy

We're going to scare the shit out of some teams this year.

eenfish

Hardly a blinder??? Solid and professional but nothing more. FP, I simply don't like playing with two DM's. (I would have selected Hutcho on the flank this week)... we had no choice last year but Flores gives us options. . Zac was our worst player but I can see he has a lot of potential although I doubt he will pass Tesco any time soon. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the races.

I'll agree with that except I don't think there is anything too wrong with playing with two DMs. It wins us games and when you've got two top blokes who can win the ball like Hutcho and Monty, why not? Field your best XI in their best positions, thats how ya win games.

Definitely hope to see more form Zac, and Siep too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred