• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ps3 or 360

serious14

Floss - HD DVD was backed by Toshiba and Microsoft, whereas Blu Ray is backed by Sony.  Their technical specifications were very similar..... the only differences were the types of codecs used to compress the audio and video onto the discs, HD DVD was region free and Blu Ray wasn't, as well as the amount of storage available.  For a while, HD DVD was superior, but then Blu Ray got their act together and got most of the movie studios on board.  Toshiba officially withdrew support for HD DVD back in February/March.

I am the proud owner of a player of both types, although I was HD DVD exclusive for the longest time.  I must say I cleaned up in the HD DVD fire sales that Amazon and EzyDVD had.  ;D ;D ;D

Gopher of Pern

RECKY said:
commodore 64

Great system! Some of the best games ever made on that!

In regards to 360 v ps3, it has to be 360. I don't care about specs, i care about the games! And there are so many games on the xbox that i can't get on the ps3, including Halo3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Oblivion (on both systems, but was available when 360 was released.) Blu-ray does nothing for me, as i don't have a HDTV (yet!)

In regards to HDDVD v Bluray, i thought the biggest difference was storage. Blu-ray could hold alot more than HDDVD.

serious14

Gopher of Pern said:
In regards to HDDVD v Bluray, i thought the biggest difference was storage. Blu-ray could hold alot more than HDDVD.

This is true - a dual layer Blu Ray disc can hold 50Gb, whereas a dual layer HD DVD could hold 30Gb.  The reason for this thought was because up until recently Blu Ray used an inferior method of video compression (MPEG-2) whereas HD DVD used a method known as VC-1, which could deliver identical results, but in a manner than used far less space.

</nerd speak>

Jimmy

serious14 said:
Gopher of Pern said:

This is true - a dual layer Blu Ray disc can hold 50Gb, whereas a dual layer HD DVD could hold 30Gb.   The reason for this thought was because up until recently Blu Ray used an inferior method of video compression (MPEG-2) whereas HD DVD used a method known as VC-1, which could deliver identical results, but in a manner than used far less space.

</nerd speak>

Im pretty sure that HD DVD is now hanging out with BETA tapes.
Where as Blu Ray is living it up with VHS. :)
Another victory for Sony, isn't it wonderful.

Ranyen

This should clear up a few things to do with technology & gadgets... :tv:

http://www.youtube.com/v/w-N2VNyl-Xg&hl=en&fs=1

dru

serious14 said:
Floss - HD DVD was backed by Toshiba and Microsoft, whereas Blu Ray is backed by Sony.  Their technical specifications were very similar..... the only differences were the types of codecs used to compress the audio and video onto the discs, HD DVD was region free and Blu Ray wasn't, as well as the amount of storage available.  For a while, HD DVD was superior, but then Blu Ray got their act together and got most of the movie studios on board.  Toshiba officially withdrew support for HD DVD back in February/March.

I am the proud owner of a player of both types, although I was HD DVD exclusive for the longest time.  I must say I cleaned up in the HD DVD fire sales that Amazon and EzyDVD had.  ;D ;D ;D

Bring back beta

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred