• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Post-Season Cup Thread

FFC Mariner

Are we missing the fact that GC lost when they believed themselves better than everyone else?

Reason to celebrate the finals system if for no other reason IMHO

MagpieMariner

The FA Cup is sudden death is it not? You lose & you're out?
The majority of finals matches are sudden death, you lose & you're out.
Each match is a pressure match, those who handle the pressure go on, those who don't fail.

Is "the majority" of which you speak the majority of football followers? I'm quite sure that the majority are quite able to assess the respective merits of the two teams' seasons. So thanks for the insult to our intelligence.

Arabmariner

Jaza_SFC said:
The finals system makes perfect sense.

1 and 2 play two-legged finals because it determines the GF host, and it means the loser gets a further chance.
Where as 3-6 have only knockout games. So for any of them to make the GF, they have to win 3 consecutive sudden death games (the last of which is against the loser of 1v2, at their home ground). It means that you really have to earn the right to a GF from 3-6, whilst the two best teams in the league are far better placed to make the GF (and rightfully so). Good system IMO - will make better sense when we have 11/12 teams.
It only makes sense if we must have this farce after the real seasons finished.

They'd have been better off playing another 9 rounds of league fixtures to make it a completely even season imo.

dibo

spike said:
The FA Cup is sudden death is it not? You lose & you're out?
The majority of finals matches are sudden death, you lose & you're out.
Each match is a pressure match, those who handle the pressure go on, those who don't fail.

Is "the majority" of which you speak the majority of football followers? I'm quite sure that the majority are quite able to assess the respective merits of the two teams' seasons. So thanks for the insult to our intelligence.
The difference is that nobody pretends that the side who wins the FA Cup is the best in the country.

The best example I can point you to is to invite you to look at 2003/04. Arsenal went unbeaten and won the Premier League by 11 points, but United won the FA cup.

They were five full wins behind Arsenal, but through the vagaries of the knockout competition and a 32nd minute goal from Scholes in the Semi, they went through (yes, I looked it up) and eventually beat Millwall (featuring Tim Cahill) 3-blot in Cardiff.

03-04 is only the most ridiculous example I can put my finger on, but there are plenty of others.

Now I *love* finals and whatnot, I love The Romance Of The Cup[sup]TM[/sup] when big sides get their comeuppance, but the idea that you could be called the best side in the country because you get the better of a couple of knockout games is ludicrous.

Our season essentially creates a tournament rather than a league or a cup. The first 27 weeks are the 'group stage', only serving to place people for the knockout stages. It's the tail wagging the dog, and it doesn't reward the best team. If Newcastle roll on through and simply fail to concede and then somehow jag penalty shootout wins for three more games, they're not the best side in the country by a long shot. They'll just be the side that somehow managed to not lose.

The solution for mine is to have a national cup and have the last couple of rounds immediately after the finals. You could have home and away fixtures guaranteeing maximum revenue and more opportunities to see the games, but really the team that takes the most points over the season should be recognised for what they are - the best side in the country.

midfielder

dibo said:
WTF? Helps when you a) make up nicknames that make some sort of sense, and b) spell them correctly.

HMMMMMMmmmm make sense of it
I think;- Fat Tony = Clive Palmer, and Side Show Bob  = Miron Bleiberg this makes sense to me

Now to your affliction Side Show Bod you could not world that out to mean Side Show Bob I hear TAFE are running some good Spoken Englisg classes that hlp with word recognition when simple spelling mistakes are made with commom use phases or words.. give TAFE a rinj on their toll free hotlinf

midfielder

I think in time a FA cup style format will take over from the present finals system ... the trouble is having the association park sides and State League Teams ready to start ... and be overly disadvantaged by not having the same team or in match condition...

FFC Mariner

Brought back to earth with a thump this morning as I am currently sitting in an office full of gloating scum fans.

normal level of loathing and disgust has been resumed

midfielder

FFC Mariner said:
Brought back to earth with a thump this morning as I am currently sitting in an office full of gloating scum fans.

normal level of loathing and disgust has been resumed

Poor bastard take take week off

dibo

midfielder said:
dibo said:
WTF? Helps when you a) make up nicknames that make some sort of sense, and b) spell them correctly.

I think;- Fat Tony = Clive Palmer, and Side Show Bob  = Miron Bleiberg this makes sense to me

Now to your affliction Side Show Bod you could not world that out to mean Side Show Bob I hear TAFE are running some good Spoken Englisg classes that hlp with word recognition when simple spelling mistakes are made with commom use phases or words.. give TAFE a rinj on their toll free hotlinf

Neither nickname is really a separated at birth kind of thing though. I really had no idea what you were talking about with 'side show bod', because Miron looks nothing like Sideshow Bob:

bios_townspeople_sideshowbob.gif
170px-Miron_Bleiberg.jpg

Just what exactly is the resemblance?

Clive also looks fark all like Fat Tony:

fat-tony.jpg
clive-palmer.jpg

They're fat. Woohoo, they look the same! Just like I'm not fat, therefore I look just like Archie Thompson. Or not...

Roy Law

Finals football? 24,000 at Wellington; 18,000 on a thursday in Melbourne; a huge crowd at the SFS for Sydney's 2nd leg - is what finals football is all about to the suits at FFA.  Gold Coast, as ever, is on a different page

FFC Mariner

If you want some fun, post a comment about their crowds on the FB page.

You will get a v nice message back telling you that they dont want other teams fans involved

lol

adz

Staff member
FFC Mariner said:
If you want some fun, post a comment about their crowds on the FB page.

You will get a v nice message back telling you that they dont want other teams fans involved

lol

Link? Could do with a laugh ;)

LFCMariners

Deej said:
Jaza_SFC said:
The finals system makes perfect sense.

1 and 2 play two-legged finals because it determines the GF host, and it means the loser gets a further chance.
Where as 3-6 have only knockout games. So for any of them to make the GF, they have to win 3 consecutive sudden death games (the last of which is against the loser of 1v2, at their home ground). It means that you really have to earn the right to a GF from 3-6, whilst the two best teams in the league are far better placed to make the GF (and rightfully so). Good system IMO - will make better sense when we have 11/12 teams.

Makes sense I agree, but I personally believe the best team is the team who finishes top over 27 rounds.

If Sydney played Newcastle in the final and Newcastle won, would they deserve to be crowed 'champion 09/10'?  f**k No!

We only have a finals series because league and AFL does, plus it makes a lot of money.

+1.

FFC Mariner

Good work by Wellington Council in waiving parking fines for fans who got booked because the game went into ET.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Phoenix-fans-will-have-parking-tickets-waived/tabid/423/articleID/143035/Default.aspx

A private company is contracted to issue parking fines, and fans believe they were preyed upon in a blatant revenue-collecting scheme.

It looked like this had been planned at a management level, because normally they dont ticket on a Sunday, says ticketed parker Craig Crestani.

Its like they went, Heres an opportunity to really come down here and clean up.'

The council says it doesnt have the power to permanently extend parking times near the stadium.

We had a lot of trouble getting resource consent for this part of the city, says Mr Prendergrast. The Thorndon residents only gave conditional support in the end, with a lot of rigid controls around car parking.

Given the outrage last nights parking blitz created, the council may tell its parking enforcement contractor to back off for the Phoenix home semi-final, on Sunday, March 7.

midfielder

dibo said:
midfielder said:
dibo said:

Neither nickname is really a separated at birth kind of thing though. I really had no idea what you were talking about with 'side show bod', because Miron looks nothing like Sideshow Bob:

bios_townspeople_sideshowbob.gif
170px-Miron_Bleiberg.jpg

Just what exactly is the resemblance?

Clive also looks fark all like Fat Tony:

fat-tony.jpg
clive-palmer.jpg

They're fat. Woohoo, they look the same! Just like I'm not fat, therefore I look just like Archie Thompson. Or not...

Nick names HHHHMMMMmmmmmm ARRRRRRrrrr

Its kinda like this.. first you need a degree of understanding of the absurd.. then a willingness to embrace the various methods of nick names some examples in my own football teams nick names Chopper, because when he runs his arms go up and down and about just like a helicopter taking off (now most would assume Chopper would come from an opponent in meanness of some kind)  Killer, well he is the most mild mannered person you could meet would not kill a fly Two Bob, his name is Bob and two Bob is a hang over from a time long gone The Judge, he is always sitting on the bench. Alphabet, because his name is hugely long no one can pronounce it. Pommie Bob, he is Italian from the north has red hair and is very white..Fat Tony we have two Tonys one is slighter bigger than the other..  I could go on but it would be a bit boring.

Therefore within our team these names mean something in its broad sense a name can be used to describe a number of things now take the pig you can look like a pig, eat like a pig, smell like a pig, act like a pig .. all have different meaning and can be inter changed in various nick names

So to draw how Fat Tony & Clive Palmer well both are fat, both are bosses, both are a touch on the other side of the law, both are self centred,  for me there is a lot of similarities now as for Side Show Bob and our good friend Miron. Well they both promise a lot and both fail to deliver, both put on a good show of getting headlines

You commented they do not look alike not necessary there are enough behavioural similarities.

Nick names used in a broad sense like a forum need common themes  and recognisable characters so using a show like the Simpsons is OK.. using well know characters is OK as well To test my theory I talked to a  few football folk and some RL folk about the Fold now all under stood who Fat Tony was even a lady who takes no interest in sport as for Side Show well football folk laughed RL folk did not know who the coach was and the lady had no idea but also did not know who the coach was either

Thus on a forum with a rusted on hard core football audience using Fat Tony & Side Show Bob for most ..it is easy to join the dots and make the connection but all this pre-supposes the reader enjoys satire, has a funny side, and is looking to the funny side and not looking to spoil not suggesting you where looking to spoil BTW..

Hope this answers your question and may the force be with you  

bjw

bjw
midfielder said:
Nick names … HHHHMMMMmmmmmm ARRRRRRrrrr

It’s kinda like this.. first you need a degree of understanding of the absurd.. then a willingness to embrace the various methods of nick names… some examples in my own football teams nick names … Chopper, because when he runs his arms go up and down and about just like a helicopter taking off (now most would assume Chopper would come from an opponent in meanness of some kind)  … Killer, well he is the most mild mannered person you could meet would not kill a fly… Two Bob, his name is Bob and two Bob is a hang over from a time long gone… The Judge, he is always sitting on the bench…. Alphabet, because his name is hugely long no one can pronounce it…. Pommie Bob, he is Italian from the north has red hair and is very white..Fat Tony we have two Tony’s one is slighter bigger than the other..  I could go on but it would be a bit boring.

Therefore within our team these names mean something… in its broad sense a name can be used to describe a number of things… now take the pig… you can look like a pig, eat like a pig, smell like a pig, act like a pig .. all have different meaning and can be inter changed in various nick names…

So to draw how Fat Tony & Clive Palmer … well both are fat, both are bosses, both are a touch on the other side of the law, both are self centred,  for me there is a lot of similarities … now as for Side Show Bob and our good friend Miron…. Well they both promise a lot and both fail to deliver, both put on a good show of getting headlines…

You commented they do not look alike … not necessary there are enough behavioural similarities.

Nick names used in a broad sense like a forum need common themes  and recognisable characters so using a show like the Simpsons is OK.. using well know characters is OK as well… To test my theory I talked to a  few football folk and some RL folk about the Fold… now all under stood who Fat Tony was even a lady who takes no interest in sport… as for Side Show well football folk laughed RL folk did not know who the coach was and the lady had no idea but also did not know who the coach was either…

Thus on a forum with a rusted on hard core football audience using Fat Tony & Side Show Bob for most ..it is easy to join the dots and make the connection… but all this pre-supposes the reader enjoys satire, has a funny side, and is looking to the funny side and not looking to spoil… not suggesting you where looking to spoil BTW..

Hope this answers your question … and may the force be with you … 

I understand what you are saying..... :ashamed:

midfielder

Game is a sell out they are hoping Scum will return of of the 500 tickets allocated to them..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/3388125/Extra-Phoenix-tickets-coming-after-sell-out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred