• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Parra = epic fail

FFC Mariner

(From the Tele)

Penniless Parra face financial oblivion
EXCLUSIVE by Josh Massoud and Dean Ritchie

April 21, 2009 12:00am

PARRAMATTA Leagues Club is staring into a $28 million black hole that has led one bankruptcy expert to declare it on the verge of "woeful insolvency".

Already reeling from a record $9.12 million loss last year and a bitter boardroom challenge this weekend, the club is also in immediate debt to the tune of $24,137,651. Believed to be an unpaid bank loan or mortgage, the monster debt constitutes a major chunk of the $31,603,787 worth of current liabilities declared in the 2008 Annual Report.

Current assets are valued at only $3,611,364 - leaving a $27,992,463 shortfall that led to auditors admitting the club's future can no longer be guaranteed in the report that was last week sent to all 43,000 members.

The Daily Telegraph yesterday obtained a copy of the report, in which PKF auditor Paul Cheeseman wrote: "These conditions indicate the existence of material uncertainty, which may cast significant doubt about the Group's (Parramatta Leagues Club and affiliates) ability to continue as a going concern."

The huge liquidity imbalance has placed the club's future under threat because directors don't have enough money at their disposal should creditors call in the $24,137,651 owing.

The club does boast $53,387,383 in non-current assets, but these could not be activated if the loans were called due immediately.

Cheeseman made directors define the debt as a current liability because the club had breached the terms of the loan by allowing its current liabilities to outstrip its current assets by about $3 million.

Veteran CEO Denis Fitzgerald is relying on patience from creditors to keep the club going.

He has already sold properties worth $5.6 million and last night reported a profit over the first quarter of 2009. Asked if the club was close to insolvency, Fitzgerald replied: "We are definitely not. We have had the worst possible year given it was the first full year of the highest poker machine tax rate together with a full 12 months of the smoking ban in place.

"Our first-quarter trading for 2009 is showing a profit and we expect that to continue through the year, despite the economic and club-industry conditions.

"The board and myself are very confident that we will trade our way out of this difficult situation through the strength and experience of our directors and senior management."

Bankruptcy expert Nicholas Crouch - the man who wound up the Sydney Kings - said the club would be declared "woefully insolvent" should the creditors come calling. Crouch said Parramatta had only 10c worth of current assets for every dollar of current liability.

The Kings had 40c for every dollar when they were declared insolvent nearly two years ago. He said: "Most companies would have $2 or $3 worth of current assets for every dollar worth of liability. So 10c is really bad.

"On the surface of this balance sheet, the club looks to be woefully insolvent. The key to the situation is the attitude of the creditors.

"If the directors can continue to defer payment, they can continue to trade."

The finances will be a major talking point in the final lead-up to this weekend's Leagues Club election, with voting to run over three consecutive days from Friday morning.

Rebel ticket 3P is seeking complete control of the Eels after winning a majority of four seats on the seven-man football club board last December.

The rebels, however, accept they must steal the Leagues Club to affect real change for fans because it oversees the Parramatta NRL team

FFC Mariner

And the directors legal duty not to trade while insolvent.............

you would think they make enough $$ selling grog to pissed up NRL players lololol

tuftman

I read that in the Telegraph in the lunch room at work, whilst sitting next to a Parra fan who was nearly in tears. As much as some bag the NRL on this forum, its not a good thing for this to be happening, as Dibo said, which code is next?

midfielder

They still have heaps of assets to sell to pay the difference .. the creditors will wait as its in their interest to do so.

However at the same time the AFL is targeting WS, RL major WS team is in heaps of trouble both on and off the field. The clubs ability to continue its support for RL will be much less in the future this assumes they sell some non current assets to make up the difference.

Will be interesting to see this play out over the next few months.

dibo

if they're at a current ratio of 0.1, don't they have to wind up immediately and won't the directors pretty much be heading to a prison farm?

kevrenor

Jesus said:
FFC Mariner said:
Sell their property assets to whom exactly? And who will finance a leagues club building?

West Sydney Westies FC!

Oh gawd, not Joe Meissner. He's already bought Gabbie Stadium when the Demons got into administration (and now charges $ for them to play there, which they don't have)

Parramatta Leagues Club have a 99 year lease from the park trust ... I suspect that may not be transferable for other purposes .....?

J

jiggles

LOL, Joe Meissner. He yelled at me once...

I used to work wit his ex-wife and I didn't know who he was when I answered the phone (sif I was sposed to know...) and he got up me.

offtheball

dibo said:
if they're at a current ratio of 0.1, don't they have to wind up immediately and won't the directors pretty much be heading to a prison farm?

They have an election for new board on Saturday. If new directors are elected do they inherit any of the liability?

dibo

their first responsibility may be to wind up the club, and then surely the administrators will be able to pursue the previous directors.

i don't think they can be held responsible for the actions of the directors they're replacing. between the structure of the corporation (what limits are placed on the liability) and things like directors' insurance they will likely be protected from direct financial liability as long as they perform their duties. that said, i'm not a corporate lawyer, i'm just going on what scratchings i've picked up about these things.

Kareem

sorry
just want to clarify whether the multi-million dollar carrot is still an option?
You know millions of dollars to relocate to Central Coast (something that we wouldn't want here).
1. how much (ie. anywhere near enough to help)?
2. is this an option here (I mean in NRL"S case it is better than the club collapsing...?)

wsorry if silly question, just I've been waitin for someone else to bring it up

midfielder

The club has a short fall in current liabilities of 27 million and 53 million in non current assets.. It's very tight especially in today's market but the sensible thing to do is not have a fire sale of the clubs assets ... meaning don't place it in administration... however re financing and asset sales in a business losing money over the last few years is difficult .. 

Add to this the board trouble in the fight between Ray Price and Denis Fitz ... right at the time you need clam heads a political in fight ...

I cannot see them going under but I can see much less funding going to all sport but especially Parra ... on balance good for football good for the AFL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred