• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Okon gone

Woollybutt

The commuting thing has always annoyed me. My memory may be totally off, but I swear Lawrie insisted that the whole squad live locally except for Mori when he was on a short term contract. Even Aloisi lived locally while he was here. I think Arnie was a bit more casual about it, but led by example and really bought into the Terrigal thing himself, and then it all fell apart under Moss and Walmsley before Okon decided he wouldn't leave Western Sydney. I get what you mean about it being more understandable for players than coaches, but I'd rather all our players be like Mat Ryan and move into a caravan up here rather than commute. I want them to spend time with each other and be out and about in our community, but it's not just that. I'm sure loads of us on here commute for work and can appreciate how shattered it leaves you. I'm no sports scientist, but I reckon there'd be a difference between the guy who goes for a swim at Terrigal after training and the guy who sits in traffic driving to Newtown. So it's not just that living outside the Coast eats away at our club culture, but it affects our training, scheduling, match preparation, recovery, rehab, etc. I don't think this played any part in the split, but I wish it did.

I think Okon was always deeply immersed in the club and local community. It's just unfortunate that the club was Marconi and the community was Bossley Park...

Full disclaimer: I'm in exile on the South Coast, so I'm a massive hypocrite ;)

Also, Rudan is Bosnar's brother-in-law. I don't think he's a particularly good coach, but the brother-in-law thing is enough to blacklist him.

bikinigirl

I like all the talk about Okon walking out of the meeting...it was at his place.

. i wonder what his plan B was ... having stormed off *

* i have this image in my head of him standing outside his recently slammed front door like Fred Flintstone at the end of those Hanna Barbera cartoons only not sure whether he should be trying to get back inside

Big Al

Rudan is absolutely no hope. Thankfully

His Monty rant makes him not even welcome on the F3 on his way to Newcastle.

Big Al

The commuting thing has always annoyed me. My memory may be totally off, but I swear Lawrie insisted that the whole squad live locally except for Mori when he was on a short term contract. Even Aloisi lived locally while he was here. I think Arnie was a bit more casual about it, but led by example and really bought into the Terrigal thing himself, and then it all fell apart under Moss and Walmsley before Okon decided he wouldn't leave Western Sydney. I get what you mean about it being more understandable for players than coaches, but I'd rather all our players be like Mat Ryan and move into a caravan up here rather than commute. I want them to spend time with each other and be out and about in our community, but it's not just that. I'm sure loads of us on here commute for work and can appreciate how shattered it leaves you. I'm no sports scientist, but I reckon there'd be a difference between the guy who goes for a swim at Terrigal after training and the guy who sits in traffic driving to Newtown. So it's not just that living outside the Coast eats away at our club culture, but it affects our training, scheduling, match preparation, recovery, rehab, etc. I don't think this played any part in the split, but I wish it did.

I think Okon was always deeply immersed in the club and local community. It's just unfortunate that the club was Marconi and the community was Bossley Park...

Full disclaimer: I'm in exile on the South Coast, so I'm a massive hypocrite ;)

Also, Rudan is Bosnar's brother-in-law. I don't think he's a particularly good coach, but the brother-in-law thing is enough to blacklist him.
Absolutely the train just to Hornsby for me sucks. Bosley Park is miles away (a pretty long drive) and Newtown I’d be saying coach i need to leave by 1pm so i can get home for dinner.

Excellent point about it’s effect physically but also mentally.

However we a happy team that hangs out together but that should be doing extra work after training. Hanging for lunch etc is great but we don’t all have to do that in oit jobs. Some want to go to Friday drinks and others just want to go home. That part doesn’t faze me

Timmah

Absolutely the train just to Hornsby for me sucks. Bosley Park is miles away (a pretty long drive) and Newtown I’d be saying coach i need to leave by 1pm so i can get home for dinner.
I once worked at Wetherill Park whilst living at Berkeley Vale, it was an utter punish - at least 90 minutes if not more, and that was in good traffic. Not good for the soul. Probably for the best

adz

Staff member
Started with absolutely slaying monty didn't he? Over a red card? Said it was with malicious intent and that he meant to hurt the player

Ah yeah I can't remember exactly but do remember him going above and beyond in saying what he thought of the club

FFC Mariner

Ah yeah I can't remember exactly but do remember him going above and beyond in saying what he thought of the club

His brother in law is Bosnar, after Reddygate, Monty was very much the enemy for that family. Hence the slagging off

Reactions: adz

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
WOW, so thats why Okon was givng them 4 days off a week....that immensely difficult travel up the expressway....for him

garlo

Far out, I go away for less than two weeks and everything happens. I was still in favour of an extension for Okon before I left, mainly because I didn't think we were an attractive enough proposition to get a better coach. But I'm not particularly fussed that he's gone. He showed some good signs, but he needs to sort out his interpersonal skills if he's going to improve as a coach. My number one hope for the new coach is that we make it a condition that they have to live on the Coast. If that means we miss out on some targets so be it, but you can't build a strong team culture with guys commuting from Bossley Park and Newtown (sorry Golec). If you aren't committed enough to move to the area then you aren't committed enough to being a professional footballer/coach. I highly doubt that played any part in Okon's exit, but I'd be delighted with the club if it did.

Completely agree that the players and especially the coach should be on the Coast!

Ps Golec lives in Gosford and seems to be just about the most committed to the strong team culture!

Woollybutt

Completely agree that the players and especially the coach should be on the Coast!

Ps Golec lives in Gosford and seems to be just about the most committed to the strong team culture!
Thanks for the correction. I read an article earlier in the season that said something along the lines of Golec decided not to go anywhere further than a driving distance from Newtown after his overseas experiences, so I must have taken that more literally than it was intended. It's good to hear he has bought into the Coast culture! Fully agree about his commitment, and hopefully he's around next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred