• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

NRL on death row

CCM-JAM80

The NRL could be likened to the Titanic.

The ship that couldn't sink is fast taking on water ... the A-League on the other hand is watching from the shore and the crowd numbers are continually growing.

The NRL adopted a "head in the sand" approach and continue to pay the price.

We, football, will be the dominate code in 5-10 years.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
really.....shit did anyone from first grade show up to play???.....god forbid the 189 people, SORRY...18,900 who showed up got short changed

cdev_19

RECKY said:
god forbid the 189 people, SORRY...18,900 who showed up got short changed

So true.

I was working at the stadium last night and the claim that the crowd was 9,845 was outright ridiculous, the real figure is around half (I saw the gate numbers). Who does the NRL think its fooling?!

Auburn Mariner

Football will not be DOMINANT in 5-10 years. It will take a full generation, say 20 years, before it gets close to being No.1. If we get World Cup 2022, then this will be the catalyst for Football to be No.1 here.

Big statement, so I will back it up. AFL is by far the best-run sport in the southern hemisphere, and in fact only the NFL is clearly better. Despite the fact that the game has been made "soft" by girlie rule changes, it goes from strength to strength. This is despite some problems, like the Gold Coast and how they handled Ben Cousins (he still has NEVER tested positive OR been found guilty in court of any drug-related charges).

There are so many people in this country that love collision sports that AFL, Union & League will always have a market. I think that Union & League will eventually merge, which is when they will become a force.

As for football, we have made big steps. Our National teams are playing regular international games, and our HAL is ready to expand.

However, when you see how teams like Bahrain, Qatar and Iraq dive and feign injury ALL the time, the unconverted Australians (and they are the ones who have to be convinced) will not have a bar of it and will return to the other codes.

Football has two major hurdles in this country; simulation, and News Limited. Sepp Blatter and his cronies MUST fix the scourge that is simulation, and this is where a 10 man interchange and the Sin Bin/Green Card could be utilised.

Watch what happens when players who go down MUST be interchanged immediately, or face the 20 minute Green Card Sin Bin. 3 Green Cards in a season or 2 in a tournament equals a MINIMUM 2 match ban. Also, when a Green Card Sin Bin comes back on, he takes up at least 3 interchanges.

This would enable Managers to make better use of their bench, and encourages fair play.

Yes, players get hurt, regularly, but I have had enough of Rivaldo-type performances from grown men (my son's Under 10 Rutherford Dragons are tougher than some of these in-bred, six-fingered hermaphrodites) and, importantly, the general public WILL NOT put up with it.

As for News Limited, just buy the Herald or Age or use the excellent Fairfax online services in Sydney, Melbourne, BrisVegas and now Perth.

Auburn Mariner

GTAD,

Fine if you think these ideas are terrible, but what about you coming up with some ideas instead of just being critical? You obviously love the game, so why not have a think and be constructive? May I ask that you state your reasons on why these suggestions are "terrible"? I am not baying for a fight, just for good strong debate.

I have NO ISSUE with ANYONE hating my suggestions, they are just my thoughts, based on a deep love of football and a strong desire to see acceptance of football in mainstream Australia.

goingtoadisco

Good point, sorry at the time i had an annoying room mate giving me crap, so i will explain now.

My main issue is that players can often get corked thighs, knees ect or simply strain muscles that might seem painful/ serious at the time yet after they give them a rub (or a bit of magic water) there fine.

I agree that your under 10 team is probably tougher then many professional footballers, but if you go to ground, cork your inner thigh at a professional level your not thinking oh i will just rub it better and ill be fine, your thinking oh f**k that could be torn muscle im going to be out for weeks. 

I think an after match panal could be more effective. i hate to use the dirty words "video referee" but i think T.V footage could be used to find out if a player has decieve a referee, once again this is not perfect.

A different idea would be to try to change attitudes to diving at a grass roots level though education.

Bex

I think its clear that the refs aren't up to the task of figuring out whether someone has dived or not. Thats proven by the number of times a dive results in a foul.

I would like to see a match review committee review each HAL game. Anyone who is determined to have dived during a match should be suspended from the next game. Perhaps some may think thats a bit harsh, but I reckon there needs to be an attitude reversal. Instead of finding ways to make it look as though they've been knocked over, players should be doing their best to stay on their feet and doggedly fighting for possession. If they're fouled, it should be the ref that pulls it up and calls it, not the player.

Bex

Yeh, just about all the second teir players would get a run the next week LOL

CCM-JAM80

Auburn Mariner said:
Football will not be DOMINANT in 5-10 years. It will take a full generation, say 20 years, before it gets close to being No.1. If we get World Cup 2022, then this will be the catalyst for Football to be No.1 here.

Big statement, so I will back it up. AFL is by far the best-run sport in the southern hemisphere, and in fact only the NFL is clearly better. Despite the fact that the game has been made "soft" by girlie rule changes, it goes from strength to strength. This is despite some problems, like the Gold Coast and how they handled Ben Cousins (he still has NEVER tested positive OR been found guilty in court of any drug-related charges).

There are so many people in this country that love collision sports that AFL, Union & League will always have a market. I think that Union & League will eventually merge, which is when they will become a force.

As for football, we have made big steps. Our National teams are playing regular international games, and our HAL is ready to expand.

However, when you see how teams like Bahrain, Qatar and Iraq dive and feign injury ALL the time, the unconverted Australians (and they are the ones who have to be convinced) will not have a bar of it and will return to the other codes.

Football has two major hurdles in this country; simulation, and News Limited. Sepp Blatter and his cronies MUST fix the scourge that is simulation, and this is where a 10 man interchange and the Sin Bin/Green Card could be utilised.

Watch what happens when players who go down MUST be interchanged immediately, or face the 20 minute Green Card Sin Bin. 3 Green Cards in a season or 2 in a tournament equals a MINIMUM 2 match ban. Also, when a Green Card Sin Bin comes back on, he takes up at least 3 interchanges.

This would enable Managers to make better use of their bench, and encourages fair play.

Yes, players get hurt, regularly, but I have had enough of Rivaldo-type performances from grown men (my son's Under 10 Rutherford Dragons are tougher than some of these in-bred, six-fingered hermaphrodites) and, importantly, the general public WILL NOT put up with it.

As for News Limited, just buy the Herald or Age or use the excellent Fairfax online services in Sydney, Melbourne, BrisVegas and now Perth.

A great post Auburn Mariner, I agree with most points - not on the 20 years - though for the main, a perfect post.

FFC Mariner

Good post Aub but I think that the momentum is now unstoppable and 10 years is much more likely.

Maybe less in Sydney becasue the NRL is working v hard to kill itself.

Jesus

Jesus
Post match review panel for diving?

Easier to do situation, whcich covers all bases for me is.

A player goes down injured, he must remain off the pitch for 5 minutes unless substituted. That way teams who dive will find themselves at big disavantages.

If a player is injured actually, then he will likely get subbed.

If it is a slight injury, then a stretch or some quick treatment will mean he is less likely to get reinjured when he goes back on. Which means that the ref's are still protecting the players.

adz

Staff member
I'd like to see a combo of play keeping going more and a match review for incidents - if someone goes down, play on. If they are faking it they will soon learn to get back up asap. If not then match review panel look at it and take action on the offending tackler if needed. Only do this for the marginal calls though - if it's an obvious hack then stop play and deal with it.

Arabmariner

adz said:
I'd like to see a combo of play keeping going more and a match review for incidents - if someone goes down, play on. If they are faking it they will soon learn to get back up asap. If not then match review panel look at it and take action on the offending tackler if needed. Only do this for the marginal calls though - if it's an obvious hack then stop play and deal with it.
Good call re playing on.Nothing pisses me off more than this crap of stopping play every time someone goes down.Putting the ball out of play on purpose and then the opposition giving it back once play resumes..............what a lot of crap.If a defender is down leave him there....he can either get up or play the opposition onside...his choice.If it's a forward he can either get up or stay offside...again his choice.
There are much more physical sports than ours that deal with this issue easily.There should be no reason why we can't deal with it also.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred