• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

NRL on death row

FFC Mariner

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23897153-2722,00.html

"We've got a good club set-up and they've got a pretty ordinary domestic set-up, but they've got a great international set-up." Having played and coached in premiership-winning league teams and also been at the helm of Welsh rugby union club Gwent Dragons, Anderson is well qualified to comment.

The veteran coach was critical of the NRL's direction during his stint as Sydney Roosters coach last year, and he fears that league will eventually be swallowed by union if the economic forecast for the code doesn't improve.

"If we can't keep the money up to our clubs then (the ARU) can start pinching good players and then one is going to become a second rate game," Anderson said.

"I think that's what will happen, that the league competition will become a union competition just like it is in New Zealand and England and France and South Africa and Argentina and Italy. That makes it a fairly strong international competition and we're struggling to have any international competition."

And both codes run a poor 2nd to the Worlds game in England, France, Argentina and Italy.

DFD

serious14

As long as the "Old Boys" network of private schools and their like Universities exists, Union will never die.

NRL on the other hand......... time to fire up the Roflcoptor.  David Gallop's "what iceberg??" attitude continues to astound me.

serious14

Greenpoleffc said:
Be interested to find out the Bulldogs crowd tonight, looked like about 5k

9845 according to the Herald.  Bet they're glad they played in that big stadium, they clearly needed all those seats...... could have played somewhere else and not torn up our turf for tomorrow.  *angry face*

fedelta

serious14 said:
Greenpoleffc said:

9845 according to the Herald.   Bet they're glad they played in that big stadium, they clearly needed all those seats...... could have played somewhere else and not torn up our turf for tomorrow.  *angry face*

Wow that's highly impressive. Roughly 18K at two NRL games at ANZ in two nights.
Am I dreaming?
Someone wake me up!

fedelta

Greenpoleffc said:

I turned it on when it was about 80-0 to Canberra and it looked like there was no crowd.
Those loyal 10,000 Bulldogs members must have left early due to prior commitments.

midfielder

League crowd numbers are always a bit on the dodgy side, was told once they always count members even if they dont turn up as they had paid for a ticket . Makes no sense unless you want to give the impression your crowds are bigger than what they actually are and .. why would they want to do that.

Having said that tho ........... RL is in no way a bad a shape as people are saying.

serious14

midfielder said:
Having said that tho ........... RL is in no way a bad a shape as people are saying.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Are you David Gallop in disguise?!?  ;)

FFC Mariner

Interesting guy on ABC radio as I was driving up to Budgie today. He was some kind of internet/sports marketing dude based in the US (albeit an Aussie).

He says that FTA had sport for about 50 years or so. Now globally it is migrating to pay TV and that tide cant be stopped.

He reckons that the Pay TV sports era will end when super fast internet is available to all and sports rights migrate to the net and that might be only a few years.

At that point, he believes its all about content and he believes NRL,Union and possibly AFL will be completely unable to compete with "Global" codes such as football and the sheer volume of $$ flowing away from them towards said "global" codes.

Sadly for our knuckledragging friends, suburban oblivion awaits.

DFD

Arabmariner

I heard on the radio coming home from work tonight the commentators at ANZ for the Bulldogs v Canberra say it was the smallest crowd they had ever seen at the stadium.They reckoned it was no more than three thousand.It was so small they thought they had the ko time wrong!!You could hear in the background the individual shouts of the few poor souls that were there.

It will be interesting to see what sort of figure the NRL manage to turn 3,000 into!

fedelta

Arabmariner said:
I heard on the radio coming home from work tonight the commentators at ANZ for the Bulldogs v Canberra say it was the smallest crowd they had ever seen at the stadium.They reckoned it was no more than three thousand.It was so small they thought they had the ko time wrong!!You could hear in the background the individual shouts of the few poor souls that were there.

It will be interesting to see what sort of figure the NRL manage to turn 3,000 into!

serious14 said:
9845 according to the Herald.

serious14

Arabmariner said:

Check up the page - it was 'officially' around the 9800 mark.

*edit*  Greenpole beat me to it.  With a funnier answer too.  Bastard.

Arabmariner

taylor said:
Arabmariner said:

serious14 said:
9845 according to the Herald.
Thanks I missed that.

Looks like they need to multiply their gates by about 3 now!

Arabmariner

If we multiply all our gates by that much it means we have full houses every week and at least 10,000 sitting on the roof! ;D

goingtoadisco

Greenpoleffc said:
Interesting guy on ABC radio as I was driving up to Budgie today. He was some kind of internet/sports marketing dude based in the US (albeit an Aussie).

He says that FTA had sport for about 50 years or so. Now globally it is migrating to pay TV and that tide cant be stopped.

He reckons that the Pay TV sports era will end when super fast internet is available to all and sports rights migrate to the net and that might be only a few years.

At that point, he believes its all about content and he believes NRL,Union and possibly AFL will be completely unable to compete with "Global" codes such as football and the sheer volume of $$ flowing away from them towards said "global" codes.

DFD

Very true. Im doing a sports degree at UC and theres a heavy emphasis on the impact that the internet will have on sport.

At the moment the Biggest sports are those with FTA T.V rights. The flow on is the obvious financial gains but also its effect of grass roots participation.

This will all change though as sports that previously had no coverage of there elite competition (except for maybe a 2 inch piece in the weekend paper) are able to broadcast there sport on the net .

Its already starting to happen, just look at Setanta.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred