• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

New Years Eve - Mariners V Wellington - Round 21

sally

Oh and even I (who still struggles with the offside rule ) could see - the refereeing was disgusting.

MagpieMariner

I find it hard to understand how some "professional" touchies find it so difficult to get offsides right most of the time. I have never run the line at a football match, but I reffed hockey for many years, and the hockey offside rule then was no different to the rule in football now. I just made sure that I stayed in line with the offside defender, surely not too difficult. It's not as if the touchies have to actually ref the game as well like I did. Yes, I know they're "assistant referees", but how many times do you see them wait for the ref to call before they put their flags up for throw-ins?
I can appreciate that there will be some very tight calls to make, but there's few of those during a match and if you're in the right position you'll get most of those right, and you won't have to bust a gut to get there and hope to get it right.
On top of that, if you're in position you won't have to run so desperately to make sure you get the goal-line calls right either.

scottmac

Suspended
spike said:
I find it hard to understand how some "professional" touchies find it so difficult to get offsides right most of the time. I have never run the line at a football match, but I reffed hockey for many years, and the hockey offside rule then was no different to the rule in football now. I just made sure that I stayed in line with the offside defender, surely not too difficult. It's not as if the touchies have to actually ref the game as well like I did. Yes, I know they're "assistant referees", but how many times do you see them wait for the ref to call before they put their flags up for throw-ins?
I can appreciate that there will be some very tight calls to make, but there's few of those during a match and if you're in the right position you'll get most of those right, and you won't have to bust a gut to get there and hope to get it right.
On top of that, if you're in position you won't have to run so desperately to make sure you get the goal-line calls right either.

I think the thing that is so hard to take is the fact that the very tight ones should go in favour of the attacker like the old days in cricket. Benifit of the doubt. Obviously does not happen in the A-League.

FFC Mariner

I think benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the attacking aide (happy to be corrected though).

The main problem appears to me that the AR's are always behind the play and it looks offside to them (well, her actually)

Forum Phoenix

Its bizarre, I literally think the world over AR's are far more scared of not making the call on what turns out to be an offside goal - than they are of incorrectly calling offside and preventing a goal.

Needs to be addressed. Up there with diving and time wasting as one of the most frustrating aspects of our sport.

FFC Mariner

So if we are 1-0 up away from home in a match we need to win to get the plate, you dont want to see us running the clock down?

Skilful timewasting is a part of the game like batting for a draw

offtheball

Jaza_SFC said:
No one gives benefit to the attacking team, despite the FIFA directive to do so.

I can't remember the last time a goal was scored where the AR missed the offside.

Forum Phoenix

FFC Mariner said:
So if we are 1-0 up away from home in a match we need to win to get the plate, you dont want to see us running the clock down?

Skilful timewasting is a part of the game like batting for a draw

I should have been specific.
Playing to the corner... and general composed slowing of play is not what I was talking about... Though I HATE it when its being done to us. It's going to ground with pretend cramps and injuries that crosses the line for me.

You go down and can't get back up, you go off and you must stay off for a minimum of three minutes imo.

MagpieMariner

Couldn't agree more, that's cheating in my book.
Running down the clock by skilfully keeping the ball away from the opposition is OK, even though watching it gives me the shits.

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
spike said:
Couldn't agree more, that's cheating in my book.
Running down the clock by skilfully keeping the ball away from the opposition is OK, even though watching it gives me the shits.
+1 ... I also think that the ref should stop the clock when anyone goes down with an "injury" during any time added on at the end of the game. Rugby refs use this option.

Andre_1

FFC Mariner said:
I think benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the attacking aide (happy to be corrected though).

The main problem appears to me that the AR's are always behind the play and it looks offside to them (well, her actually)

Most ridiculous peice of wording in a rule anywhere in sport! NEVER i repeat NEVER gets applied.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred