• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

National Youth League Fixtures and Mariners youth team discussion

bikinigirl

Agree with Yoda, that score does not at all tell the story.

SFC score very early goal from a corner... Mariners dominate rest of first half but SFC mostly sit deep and manage to get through without conceding.

Second half more of the same until a frustrated and now tiring Mariners get two warning shots on the counter against the run of play. where SFC could have scored but didn't. Third time lucky though. An uncharacteristically loose ball and they pounce... 2 zip up and the Mariners press and cop an awful third.

They had zero luck today. Played a lot of great football and man for man consistently had the better of SFC across the park - except for their keeper - who unfortunately had a very good game. Football is a cruel cruel game at times. Don't believe the better side won. And to make it worse Sydney were dirty in the challenge and cynical. They got away with a lot, but otherwise mostly thought the ref was decent.

Thought Posc and Faty both did very well. Were running the show but we couldn't quite get that cutting edge we needed. Faty being subbed at 60 presumably for safety cost them though. 1 down and you don't really want to use a sub on switching Centrebacks if you can help it.

Also guessing Roy's red cost the youth the striker they needed.

. so both teams have been modelled on their respective senior teams :p :oops:

. sounds like the kids were unlucky ... but on the whole they have done well, it's a shame they won't be playing the final on a bigger stage

Forum Phoenix

Yeah, did have a bit of a chuckle about the youth proving that they are just as capable of executing the Mariners game plan of conceding as early as you possibly can.

It is a shame, on the strength of yesterday it looked like they deserved to be in the finals. SFC were beaten all over the park except for their keeper. And they took their chances where it counts most.

Big Al

Magoo number 2 with defending only his brother could be proud of.

Melbourne City hit the post 4 times and should of lead 4-0 at half time but somehow where behind 2-1 and needed 2 penalties to win.

SFC didn't look that impressive

Tonyik was that good today for City but has looked great in the seniors.

Azarni looks really good

The Ibini clone looked for SFC as well

pjennings

I know it's over but a thought on the anniversary of Johan Cruyff's death ... RIP

"I let all youth teams play the same way, like the first team. I always put the emphasis on learning. Sometimes I had the suspicion the youth coaches were more concerned with winning. They cared more about their own reputation."
"I cared only about the interest of the club. When a player with talent couldn't defend I put him in defence so he could learn, but that could cost a point. But I didn't care, I was busy developing the player."

Big Al

NPL2 boys lost to WSW today blowing a 2-0 halftime lead letting in 3 in 5 or 6 mins. Mariners meltdown from the young lads

Rowdy

Wow ! :eek:
Maybe self evidence of why Okon is considering/trialling Michael Stojanovski, a defender from NPL2 North Shore Mariners & NOT one of our own CCM Academy boys.

Big Al

Boys won 1-0 against spirit FC to finish 4th.
Northern Mariners beat WSW 6-1 to finish 5th, setup a Mariners derby in the elimination semi and they knocked WSW out of the 6 and they miss the finals

dibo

What's really pleasing is that the sides have done well across the age groups.

1st Grade: 4th, 22pts behind the Marconi Millionaires, but only 4pts behind St George in 2nd.
U20s: 3rd, 7pts behind Northern Tigers in 1st.
U18s: 1st, 9pts clear of WSW in 2nd.

The youth are good too. Comparing us to the other academies in the 26 team NPLY Tier 1:
16s are the weakest in 17th (33pts behind WSW and 29pts behind Sydney)
15s are 4th (12pts behind Sydney, 2pts ahead of WSW)
14s are 4th (behind WSW on GD, 2pts ahead of Sydney)
13s are top (4pts ahead of Sydney, 17pts ahead of WSW).

The CCF sides in the 10-team Association Youth League are decent too:
16s are 24pts clear at the top
15s are 16pts clear at the top
14s are 5th (29pts from the top)
13s are 3rd (25pts from the top)

The strength of the 15s and 16s AYL teams might explain the relative weakness of the U16s NPL side...

All in all, it looks like a setup that knows what it's about, and hasn't focussed on just winning one grade or another, but rather is setting up a pipeline of talent. Success breeds success. Teams and players that are used to winning want to keep on winning, and people who want to win want to be a part of it.

Keep that flowing and the future's bright.

If the North Shore Mariners and WNSW Mariners can come along in the same vein then we're looking like a development powerhouse.

pinklady

What's really pleasing is that the sides have done well across the age groups.

1st Grade: 4th, 22pts behind the Marconi Millionaires, but only 4pts behind St George in 2nd.
U20s: 3rd, 7pts behind Northern Tigers in 1st.
U18s: 1st, 9pts clear of WSW in 2nd.

The youth are good too. Comparing us to the other academies in the 26 team NPLY Tier 1:
16s are the weakest in 17th (33pts behind WSW and 29pts behind Sydney)
15s are 4th (12pts behind Sydney, 2pts ahead of WSW)
14s are 4th (behind WSW on GD, 2pts ahead of Sydney)
13s are top (4pts ahead of Sydney, 17pts ahead of WSW).

The CCF sides in the 10-team Association Youth League are decent too:
16s are 24pts clear at the top
15s are 16pts clear at the top
14s are 5th (29pts from the top)
13s are 3rd (25pts from the top)

The strength of the 15s and 16s AYL teams might explain the relative weakness of the U16s NPL side...

All in all, it looks like a setup that knows what it's about, and hasn't focussed on just winning one grade or another, but rather is setting up a pipeline of talent. Success breeds success. Teams and players that are used to winning want to keep on winning, and people who want to win want to be a part of it.

Keep that flowing and the future's bright.

If the North Shore Mariners and WNSW Mariners can come along in the same vein then we're looking like a development powerhouse.
I think that the relative weakness of the CCMA 16s is probably best explained by the fact that 13 players have played a combined total of 129 games for the Under 18s over the course of the season - that's the Under 18 side that won their League by 11 points and defeated second placed West Sydney Wanderers 4-0 and 8-0 in their two meetings. Not a real lot to be too concerned about.

Manny_ccm

A left back?

Okon mustn't rate him that highly if he wasn't given a chance.

Anybody seen him play?
I've watched him play for the last fews years and he's been consistently good/reliable in the midfield and backline.
I assume Okon rated him as he was in the gameday squad numerous times last however Steve was in that unfortunate position where he'l be too old for the Academy/FNYL squads due to age limitations imposed on A-League clubs but too inexperienced/not quite ready for the A-League.
We need something in between as our development for these emerging players hits a dead end - maybe send them out to the North Shore Mariners or somewhere else that doesn't have the age limitations?? I assume Lachie Wales and others will be in a similar position soon if they can't get an A-league contract.

Big Al

I've watched him play for the last fews years and he's been consistently good/reliable in the midfield and backline.
I assume Okon rated him as he was in the gameday squad numerous times last however Steve was in that unfortunate position where he'l be too old for the Academy/FNYL squads due to age limitations imposed on A-League clubs but too inexperienced/not quite ready for the A-League.
We need something in between as our development for these emerging players hits a dead end - maybe send them out to the North Shore Mariners or somewhere else that doesn't have the age limitations?? I assume Lachie Wales and others will be in a similar position soon if they can't get an A-league contract.
Agree the North Shore Mariners should be for our players that have A A-League potential that reach the age limit and haven't made it.
That said this is a professional gig vs NPL2 being part time i presume so good luck to him.

Rowdy

Dilemma looms on this issue with NPL Clubs stating the A-League clubs shouldn't be fielding their 'Youth' teams in their respective State competitions, all off of the back of their fight for a recognised '2nd Tier' National Competition.

Under the current set-up, North Shore Mariners are fine, as they're just NorthBridge FC with like a 'sister club' arrangement and renaming of their team, with some possible funding(?).

Whereas, from my understanding, under the current system of CCM in the NPL2, Central Coast Football handed over their entry into ALL State League competitions to the Central Coast Mariners (A-League).

IF the State based clubs succeed in their fight/demands
- 'CCMariner's' branding as well as administration may have to go back to CC Football for a legitimate Lightning/Coasties entry for a NPL1 or NPL2 Mens Team, which CCF have every right to participate in - as a member of FNSW Federation.

It worked well back when the late John McLafferty (RIP) coached CCF's
'CC-Lightning' in the NPL1, Mariner's A-League players coming back from injuries or on the fringe were getting game time to be re-assessed for further A-League game time &/or contracts.

rbakersmith

Whereas, from my understanding, under the current system of CCM in the NPL2, Central Coast Football handed over their entry into ALL State League competitions to the Central Coast Mariners (A-League).

That doesn't seem to have been a permanent arrangement, as the 2018 Declaration of Leagues came out yesterday and CCF Academy are in the Men's State League, in addition to CCM being in NPL2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred