• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Match review committee for diving

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

For those who don't know, every year IFAB meets to discuss law changes.

The meeting has recently occurred, and one of the decisions was:

"The Board also discussed a proposal from the Scottish FA regarding the use of video evidence to sanction simulation after the game. Although the suggestion was not approved, the IFAB members agreed that simulation is an act of cheating which must be intensively fought and sanctioned during the game and that all member associations would be encouraged to do so."

FFS, bunch of deadset idiots.........how do they not realise that reminding referees to crack down on simulation does NOTHING??????

Video review is the ONLY way to stamp out this plague. 

FIFA media release is at
http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/bodies/media/newsid=707751.html#goal+line+technology

graaant

Newieutd said:
~Floss~ said:
A perfect example to illustrate a question is Danny vs. J-Griff @ BT home semi, just outside the northern box.

Danny got a card for the foul. Replay showed no contact and a Griffo special (dive).

Some say it can't be reviewed because Danny got a card, therefore issue dealt with by the ref at the time.

Might be my newcomer's naiive-ity(sp?), but could you argue that Griffo was not punished at the time for the dive, therefore it is eligible for review?
Supposedly you can only review reds or things the ref missed. My logical way of thinking tells me that if the ref thought Danny fouled, he missed Griffo's dive.

Even if you can't get a punishment added or revoked after the match, maybe they could review these things just to assess refs' performances?

ROFL, Danny admitted to contacting him. He said he feared he had ruined it again for the mariners.

This one needs the scum troll tag aswell..

Newieutd

graaant said:
Newieutd said:
~Floss~ said:
A perfect example to illustrate a question is Danny vs. J-Griff @ BT home semi, just outside the northern box.

Danny got a card for the foul. Replay showed no contact and a Griffo special (dive).

Some say it can't be reviewed because Danny got a card, therefore issue dealt with by the ref at the time.

Might be my newcomer's naiive-ity(sp?), but could you argue that Griffo was not punished at the time for the dive, therefore it is eligible for review?
Supposedly you can only review reds or things the ref missed. My logical way of thinking tells me that if the ref thought Danny fouled, he missed Griffo's dive.

Even if you can't get a punishment added or revoked after the match, maybe they could review these things just to assess refs' performances?

ROFL, Danny admitted to contacting him. He said he feared he had ruined it again for the mariners.

This one needs the scum troll tag aswell..

I would appreciate not being referred to as an item.

brett

Newieutd said:
~Floss~ said:

That incident was a good snapshot of what makes this issue so tricky. Even with video technology, there is a deeper philosophical decision on simulation that is harder to make.

If there is a clear cut dive with no contact, the ref should be good enough to pick it up on the field. What we saw with Griffo and with lots of players in the last World Cup was minimal contact and then a deliberate stack to win the foul/penalty.

By the laws of the game you could say that the furthermost atom of the toe of your boot scraping a microfibre in an opponents sock is physically impeding them and therefore an illegal challenge. But there is lots of minor contact that would never bring a player down where they go down anyway.

How can you put the onus on players to stay on their feet if possible, and where do you draw the line?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

If a player goes down when he's been touched, but not actually tripped, then this is still simulation.  Football isn't non-contact; contact doesn't necessarily mean there's a foul.  It has to be at least careless, and it has to have some effect on the player or the game (well, then there's the ones that do neither but need to be pulled up anyway, such as a reckless slide tackle that completely misses the player)

It gets a little trickier when you look at, say, the infamous dive in the Italy match, where the player chose to run into our defender and go down.

I don't think you can place in black and white terms how much of a responsibility the players have to try and stay on their feet; an astute referee will be able to utilise his experience to see the force of the challenge, the relative angles of the players and their limbs, the inertia of the person being tackled, the typical manner in which players go down from differing challenges, and other tell-tale signs to try and tell if the the player was foulled, is milking it, or tripped over a divot in the ground.

brett said:
By the laws of the game you could say that the furthermost atom of the toe of your boot scraping a microfibre in an opponents sock is physically impeding them

To be pedantic (forgive me; I find that most on-field complaints stem from a misunderstanding of the laws), 'impeding' is a specific foul when a player, without making contact, uses his body to deliberate block the path of another player while not within playing distance of the ball (used to be called obstruction, but obstruction covered instances of this when the body or arms are used; impeding is mainly non-contact).  However, there is a foul which is described as 'tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact
with the opponent before touching the ball'

This doesn't have to happen carelessly; it merely has to happen.  So yeah, that would support that quote of yours
BUT
Referees are also instructed to ignore trifling and inconsequential offences (such as a slight touch on the player that doesn't affect him), as well as having an awareness of the 'spirit of the game' - that clause has the potential to almost make football a non-contact sport, but no referee applies it to the extreme letter because they know what the actual purpose of that law is - and it's not to make football non-contact.

Besides, for the most part the laws are written too poorly to be able to apply them to the strictest possible interpretation of the written words :D

That's why you can still be considered to have taken a dive even when there's contact - because if the contact wasn't severe enough for a foul, then the contact was trifling.

Of course, when a player goes down easy when there is clear contact, as opposed to extremely slight contact (in the griffiths-Danny incident), but still probably not enough to cause a foul the referee will usually give that player enough benefit of the doubt to not book him, but not enough benefit of the doubt to give him the free kick (which is why sometimes players go down in the box, from clear contact, but the referee doesn't give it - it's a gut feel sorta thing). 

I hope you consider all that relevant to your discussion and not a somewhat off-topic diversion on refereeing simulating players? :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred