• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Match review committee for diving

Bex

rosko said:
[size=12pt]I would like to see a review committee to sit down and book players after the game for diving.[/size]

Sounds like a great idea to me. Why doesn't this happen? I've only been following football for a few seasons and it seems as though diving is a scourge on the game that needs to be brought under control.

Wouldn't it be nice to see players actually trying to stay on their feet when there is a tackle attempt made? I suspect there may even be a reasonable percentage who keep the possession and go on to make a nice break. That would be much nicer than seeing a free kick every time a slightly optimistic tackle is made (or indeed when the guy in possession knows he is not going to score).

~Floss~

A perfect example to illustrate a question is Danny vs. J-Griff @ BT home semi, just outside the northern box.

Danny got a card for the foul. Replay showed no contact and a Griffo special (dive).

Some say it can't be reviewed because Danny got a card, therefore issue dealt with by the ref at the time.

Might be my newcomer's naiive-ity(sp?), but could you argue that Griffo was not punished at the time for the dive, therefore it is eligible for review?
Supposedly you can only review reds or things the ref missed. My logical way of thinking tells me that if the ref thought Danny fouled, he missed Griffo's dive.

Even if you can't get a punishment added or revoked after the match, maybe they could review these things just to assess refs' performances?

tyson

james_sfc said:
They need a review committee on refs first

ffs or it will get worse

this guy knows what he is talking about.
like i have said in numerous threads regarding the officials... FFA are thick enough to think that the refs are doing a good job. they have been quoted to say that they are happy with the refereeing standards...as crazy as it sounds.

Bex

~Floss~ said:
Some say it can't be reviewed because Danny got a card, therefore issue dealt with by the ref at the time.

Might be my newcomer's naiive-ity(sp?), but could you argue that Griffo was not punished at the time for the dive, therefore it is eligible for review?
Supposedly you can only review reds or things the ref missed. My logical way of thinking tells me that if the ref thought Danny fouled, he missed Griffo's dive.

In that case, the ref definitely missed the dive, so I'm sure Griffith's actions could be reviewed.

Don't the refs review their performance????!!!!!!!!  Thats just rediculous in a professional sport.

The FFA would never admit that refereeing standards are poor. That wouldn't help anyone. All it would do is undermine the sport as a whole. They need to sort this stuff behind closed doors.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The only was you can possibly stamp out diving is to be able to pick up diving on match review.  Anybody found guilty of diving is fined, and suspended.

HOWEVER, under current FIFA rules there isn't anything the FFA can do.  A match review committee isn't really intended to pick up cautions, it's mainly for red cards.  And as a dive is only a caution at this stage, there isn't really anything  'else' they can do.

We all saw how much diving occurred in the WC, despite a FIFA promise to crackdown on diving.  Problem is, FIFA have, in the past, shown a rather gestapo-ish approach to anybody getting a big decision wrong which I believe means a lot of referees are too scared to pull up dives.  Add that to the fact that you need to be 100% certain it's a dive, and it is quite difficult to pull up on the field.  The ONLY way these cheats will be stamped out of the game is post match review and suspensions.

~Floss~ said:
Even if you can't get a punishment added or revoked after the match, maybe they could review these things just to assess refs' performances?

The referees are inspected every match - and I believe the inspection report isn't written until the inspector views videos of the match.  The inspector is usually in a little box near the media boxes, and is also wired to listen in on their radio communications.  The referees also undergo weekly training, and receive a DVD of their match along with their inspection report.

However, would you expect politics to be involved in inspection reports?  Would you consider there's a possibility that the inspection marks referees are getting may not be an accurate reflection of their performance?  It happens at all levels, why not at a national level?

I also wonder what they're being told - are they being told to ignore off the ball stuff?  Are they being told to ignore brutal studs up challenges?  What about dissent, and aggression and retaliation leading to confrontations?  There's a lot that the HAL players are getting away with that none of us would get away with on a weekend.  Why is it that these officials are disciplining differently to how every single referee is being taught - and why are they ALL doing it?

I also wonder how much stress and fatigue plays a factor - these officials work full time jobs, undergo quite a bit of referee training, then give up the time to spend with their families to go referee.  And the pay is nice, but it's not great.  When you consider how much mental focus refereeing requires - just like playing at this level - it is a little understandable why these officials are performing below their own standards.  Mark Shield is such a better referee when he travels overseas.

I believe that the management and education of the officials is playing a tremendous part in poor officiating.  We've seen clear effects of referees being overworked, yet the FFA hadn't eased up because they have these set rankings, and firmly believe that the referees ranked 1,2,3,4 should referee the match 1,2,3,4 - and to them, nothing else matters.

The stuff behind closed doors is the problem.  These ARE great officials, but they're putting in  routine shocking performances.  The fact that they're all doing it indicates the problem lies deeper than the individual referee concerned.

kepo

15945.JPG

why hav a committee for diving when signs will do the job.
Put a couple of hundred around the stadium and the divers may get the picture !

:thumbup:

S

soccersensei

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
The only was you can possibly stamp out diving is to be able to pick up diving on match review.  Anybody found guilty of diving is fined, and suspended.

HOWEVER, under current FIFA rules there isn't anything the FFA can do.  A match review committee isn't really intended to pick up cautions, it's mainly for red cards.  And as a dive is only a caution at this stage, there isn't really anything  'else' they can do.

We all saw how much diving occurred in the WC, despite a FIFA promise to crackdown on diving.  Problem is, FIFA have, in the past, shown a rather gestapo-ish approach to anybody getting a big decision wrong which I believe means a lot of referees are too scared to pull up dives.  Add that to the fact that you need to be 100% certain it's a dive, and it is quite difficult to pull up on the field.  The ONLY way these cheats will be stamped out of the game is post match review and suspensions.

~Floss~ said:

The referees are inspected every match - and I believe the inspection report isn't written until the inspector views videos of the match.  The inspector is usually in a little box near the media boxes, and is also wired to listen in on their radio communications.  The referees also undergo weekly training, and receive a DVD of their match along with their inspection report.

However, would you expect politics to be involved in inspection reports?  Would you consider there's a possibility that the inspection marks referees are getting may not be an accurate reflection of their performance?  It happens at all levels, why not at a national level?

I also wonder what they're being told - are they being told to ignore off the ball stuff?  Are they being told to ignore brutal studs up challenges?  What about dissent, and aggression and retaliation leading to confrontations?  There's a lot that the HAL players are getting away with that none of us would get away with on a weekend.  Why is it that these officials are disciplining differently to how every single referee is being taught - and why are they ALL doing it?

I also wonder how much stress and fatigue plays a factor - these officials work full time jobs, undergo quite a bit of referee training, then give up the time to spend with their families to go referee.  And the pay is nice, but it's not great.  When you consider how much mental focus refereeing requires - just like playing at this level - it is a little understandable why these officials are performing below their own standards.  Mark Shield is such a better referee when he travels overseas.

I believe that the management and education of the officials is playing a tremendous part in poor officiating.  We've seen clear effects of referees being overworked, yet the FFA hadn't eased up because they have these set rankings, and firmly believe that the referees ranked 1,2,3,4 should referee the match 1,2,3,4 - and to them, nothing else matters.

The stuff behind closed doors is the problem.  These ARE great officials, but they're putting in  routine shocking performances.  The fact that they're all doing it indicates the problem lies deeper than the individual referee concerned.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Newieutd

~Floss~ said:
A perfect example to illustrate a question is Danny vs. J-Griff @ BT home semi, just outside the northern box.

Danny got a card for the foul. Replay showed no contact and a Griffo special (dive).

ROFL, Danny admitted to contacting him. He said he feared he had ruined it again for the mariners.

rosko

I would love to see a review committee at all levels in FIFA, and why not start it right here in Australia. If a player deserves a yellow card for diving, then he should get it. It is really, the only blight on football. All other things are dealt with as they should be. I don't want video replays during the game, football would then turn into Gridiron, a 3-4 hr game. Diving though, is the one thing that brings the knockers out in this country. Diving is the one thing that causes the biggest stepping stone here in Australia.

skilbeck

the review committee would have to have the power to scatch cards off the record for players who were carded for bad tackles when it was clearly a diving offence

FFC Mariner

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
I'll never be able to understand why people condone cheating.

Saso is no angel in this area either.

Also, is there still a charge of "bringing the game into disrepute??" That used to be a catch all offence

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

You mean in terms of FFA sanctions?  I'd assume so, but I think it'd be extremely unlikely to be able to use that for an offence that's perfectly punishable within the LOTG.

to be honest, I can't remember seeing Petrovski dive.  A few trolls bag him out for it, but I can't remember seeing it happen.

The only person I can remember seeing dive on our team is Heff, earlier in the season - and to be honest I was pretty peeved at him for it. 

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred