• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mass violence mars London derby

bulldogmariner

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8221451.stm

A man has been stabbed in the chest during violence involving "hundreds" of fans outside West Ham's Upton Park stadium during a game with Millwall.

Fights broke out at 1800 BST and were still raging four hours later. A 44-year-old man is stable after being stabbed in Priory Road at 2025 BST.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said missiles had been thrown at officers but none were injured.

Inside Upton Park West Ham fans twice invaded the pitch.

The first invasion was after West Ham's equaliser, while the second more serious invasion happened after they scored a penalty.

It took officials about six minutes to clear about 50 people from the pitch and police had to redeploy within the stadium to tackle the invasion.

West Ham won the game 3-1 after extra time.

About 200 riot police and at least 20 mounted officers were at the ground and a police helicopter circled the area.

The Press Association quoted an unnamed 19-year-old saying he saw a police officer being kicked on the ground.

A spokesman added: "Hundreds of fans are estimated to be involved."

About 50 fans invaded the pitch after their team scored
One pub reportedly had its windows broken by bricks during running battles across several streets up to half a mile from the stadium.

Eyewitnesses told of hooligans trying to rip out bollards and lighting "small fires".

Five arrests have been confirmed, including one for affray and one for breaching a banning order.

British Transport Police said they heard reports of minor overcrowding at Upton Park Tube station.

BBC radio reporter Ben Jacobs, who is at the stadium, said he had heard a second person had been stabbed, although police said they had no confirmation of this.

Describing how the violence erupted, Mr Jacobs said: "The trouble broke out outside the Tube station about 600 yards from the ground.

"There were 500 to 1,000 riot police and Millwall fans managed to break through the divide."

'Bloodied faces'

A 29-year-old man had to close his kebab shop in nearby Green Street for two hours.

He said: "All hell broke loose - it was very frightening.

"Bottles and bricks were being thrown from the back and some were hitting West Ham fans at the front.

"There were loads of people with bloodied faces."

Aaron Smith, from Hemel Hempstead, who was at the game, said: "I saw one man cornered by at least a dozen Millwall fans before kick-off. Terrifying scenes."

Another fan said: "I was in a throng walking up and a group of hooligans came for us.

"The police wanted to help but they were clearly afraid to use force. I am still shaking. I thought I was going to die."

Ben Newton, from Harrow, north London, said his father had been stretchered away after being hit with a dart to the head.

And a Millwall fan told the BBC: "It was like a war zone outside the stadium. There was fighting all round.

"I brought my kids with me tonight and they've seen some violence that is indescribable."

bulldogmariner

Arabmariner said:
Andre_1 said:
Jesus......shades of the bad old '70's days?
Sounds like you didn't expect this ?
It was always likely to happen. These two clubs have a history. But the scenes that have been portrayed to the world are just sad. Police had a riot squad outside the ground in the lead up to the match just to ensure safety and that didnt work. Looking at the scenes I have seen on TV I would have thought the Ref would be calling the game off.

Arabmariner

bulldogmariner said:
Arabmariner said:
Andre_1 said:
Jesus......shades of the bad old '70's days?
Sounds like you didn't expect this ?
It was always likely to happen. These two clubs have a history. But the scenes that have been portrayed to the world are just sad. Police had a riot squad outside the ground in the lead up to the match just to ensure safety and that didnt work. Looking at the scenes I have seen on TV I would have thought the Ref would be calling the game off.
I suppose football will now get some mainstream coverage on Australian TV.

Arabmariner

bulldogmariner said:
Its not the coverage you want though. I saw it on BBC World on Fox so not sure if the other networks have been showing it.
I haven't seen the telly today but you can take it for granted 7 and 9 will make the most of it.

dibo

To be fair, if there were riots in London involving thousands of people with many arrests, a number hospitalised and wide scale property damage going for four hours for *any* reason it would make the TV news here.

Arabmariner

dibo said:
To be fair, if there were riots in London involving thousands of people with many arrests, a number hospitalised and wide scale property damage going for four hours for *any* reason it would make the TV news here.
Agreed Dibo.

My point is some  will actually be pleased this has happened because it suits their own agendas.

And as you point out ,it is newsworthy so we can hardly complain.

serious14

90078872.jpg

90078346.jpg

90079775.jpg

90080715.jpg

Sacko

West Ham always ran against Millwall, as the song goes...

"West Ham always running, running after you!"

But in all seriousness, from the coverage I've seen Millwall were cowering in the corner during the pitch invasions so I suspect whats left of their firm weren't inside the ground and were intent on attacking all and sundry in the surrounding area...

Sacko

I'd like to see the shade of white the Met Police Commissioner goes if we draw Millwall away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred