• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners V Roar

priorpeter

Balard 28% forward, 32% left, 27% right, 13% backwards
Steele 28% forward, 26% left, 26% right, 20% backwards
Niz 31% forward, 27% left, 25% right, 17% back.
Trying to dig out Stens’ but I feel it won’t be too dissimilar.
30-35% go-forward rate is about the average across the league in similar roles.

Last edited:

style_cafe

Steele and Hutcho etc are made to look good by stats because they never go forward. Ray wilkins was the same.....never gave the ball away but never created anything....stifling sideways movement.
Right now Dan Hall is a massive culprit as well but probably has the best passing stats in the squad.
I DO think Harry Steele will make the grade but he is not worthy of anything but closing out a game atm.
Ahhhh Ray Wilkins,I loved the bloke.
I remember the first game I ever saw him play.
He played against the Socceroos at the old Sydney Sports ground.
Agenor Muniz was giving him shit right in front of us up against the sideline.
Wilkins grabbed Muniz`s shirt and ripped it from the collar to the waist and the referee and lineman both missed it!!

marinermick

“You twist my words, you put facts in the story”.

[Greatest Late Show skit ever]

Corsair

That's quite surprising, maybe I have a Niz bias...but stats can lie! How are diagonal passes counted?! Next stat would be what percentage of forward passes are completed successfully.

turbo

Steele and Hutcho etc are made to look good by stats because they never go forward. Ray wilkins was the same.....never gave the ball away but never created anything....stifling sideways movement.
Right now Dan Hall is a massive culprit as well but probably has the best passing stats in the squad.
I DO think Harry Steele will make the grade but he is not worthy of anything but closing out a game atm.
That was my first thought on the stats. Easy to pad out (not intentionally) playing safe, take a hit playing necessary risks.

For me the biggest issue is Steele and Balard have come through at the same time rather than over lapping a bit as one is on the way for transfer money. If you had Nisbet, a senior CM and one of them you could rotate well and get good development minutes while still being very competitive.

true believer

Have to disagree - admittedly yes some on here will be predisposed to have a soft spot for the kids coming through, but look at the flak players like Jok, Windust, and Hall have copped on the forum this season.
hall is a shadow at best .nizzy has been,,, human this year .
windust isn't a starting centre back yet . jok was never that good. but was bagged completely out of hand by the usual suspects

Ancient Mariner

The stats do not show the number of times Nizz effectively carries the ball forward looking for a pass forward if none are immediately available. Max seems to be getting better at this as the season progresses.

Ancient Mariner

I try not to bag out players simply because it can be embarrassing when they turn it around. However I have watched Dor Joe for a couple of years now and fail to see what others obviously saw in him. Maybe speed and height was judged to be sufficient.

Wombat

That's quite surprising, maybe I have a Niz bias...but stats can lie! How are diagonal passes counted?! Next stat would be what percentage of forward passes are completed successfully.
Also Niz is probing around the box, if nothing on he plays back. Harry plays back often under no pressure and sometimes kills a good attacking move for no reason.

priorpeter

The stats do not show the number of times Nizz effectively carries the ball forward looking for a pass forward if none are immediately available. Max seems to be getting better at this as the season progresses.
Maxi’s spatial awareness in these sorts of situations is actually fantastic. Countless occasions he’s had the ball coming to him facing our goal, will know exactly what is/isn’t on behind him, will feel an opposition player coming in to close him down, shimmy one way and turn the other, taking the opposition player out and creating acres of space to drive forwards into. So simple, and so, so effective.

JoyfulPenguin

Maxi’s spatial awareness in these sorts of situations is actually fantastic. Countless occasions he’s had the ball coming to him facing our goal, will know exactly what is/isn’t on behind him, will feel an opposition player coming in to close him down, shimmy one way and turn the other, taking the opposition player out and creating acres of space to drive forwards into. So simple, and so, so effective.
Balard is great on the ball and always looks to play the positive ball but lacks the grunt to break up play.

Steele has an okay passing range but is too often far too negative, but is good at breaking up the play.

They have the makings of a great partnership but Balard caught the negativity bug against Victory and Steele didn't/couldn't help.

Meerkat

Have to disagree - admittedly yes some on here will be predisposed to have a soft spot for the kids coming through, but look at the flak players like Jok, Windust, and Hall have copped on the forum this season.
Oooh Pete, Hall might not be a solid example.. yes he’s copped a lot of flak but anybody who dished it has pretty well been sleeping with one eye open with the counterattack.

LOVE your stats though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami