• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners V Poachers FC

turbo

I wonder if the Koul sub was more about SFC game as well. We have short turnaround after 2 weeks off. Need to be careful so go with one for a bit longer as Unerna obviously not ready yet
I would have rather played for the 3 points that was very much up for grabs if that’s the case. Would have been happy to write off the Sydney game if we got 3 points last night.

Tim

I thought we fought hard for most of the game and it’s the kind of spirit that’s been missing in recent years. Miller is a good prospect but he’s playing A-League now and he’s not going to beat many defenders one on one. Someone needs to tell him that (I reckon he probably beat defenders constantly in lower comps and he just needs to adjust now). A little bit of luck and we win that game. At the risk of repeating others, Niz MOM and DDS and others such as Stens and Rowles all very good. I really do dislike the WSW fans! Leaving the ground they may a lot of noise and are surely the team to hate moving forward (if not already). As for Ziggy, still disappointed he left but if it’s true he thought he wouldn’t be booed by the crowd, he’s delusional... When Simon was giving him a serve, the Wanderers goalie wandered up to assist him but hardly defended his man. I reckon Birraz would have put any attacker on the floor if they took out one of our boys in that fashion ....

FFC Mariner

We were really struggling down the right all through the second half and Niz was getting dragged across to help out. Eventually thats where we were exploited. We were struggling well before Miller came on (although he didnt solve the problem.
When Simmo and Kuol went off we lost all drive and tempo going forward.
Urena is a Roy clone, wanted the ball over the top to run onto and we rarely play that way. A few times last night he started to make the run and we just didnt try to pass it through.

Ironbark

Urena playing off Nis, DDS and Janota will get the kind of service he needs.

I thought the ref was light on the discipline, and not particularly good at his job, but the calls went both ways so no complaints.

This is a team to enjoy following again. We won't win them all and bar that one mistake combined with a deflection we were good for a draw. A little more clinical in front of goal and we were good for the win. At one point we'd had 11 shots to their 4 and from memory that was just after half time.

I feel this season we will win games that we don't deserve to due to pure determination and that will balance out these losses where we should have won.

We have players that are a real pleasure to watch with skill and grit. Nis top of the pile. DDS I've been very critical of recently due to his several years of no output but I was thrilled for him after that first half. In a team that improves further I think he will only get better.
The whole 1st team played well really. I'm looking forward to Nigro being a 90 min player as Nigro > Millar currently. Casella didn't get long but has looked good when he's played too.

Honestly, I am think most of our subs were with one eye to Friday with a super short turnaround. Once our 3 visas are fully fit and charging along subs will be used more tactically rather than for preserving key players for the next game.

Would love to beat SFC. It's not what will be tipped but totally possible. We'll give them a good shake no matter what I reckon.

booney

Urena was making those runs down the wing hoping for Miller to put it over the top but to no avail as Miller chose to ignore him and either passed inside or took on a defender himself usually giving up possession.I think Urena touched the ball once.There will need to be lots of work done on the training paddock to integrate him into the team's pattern of play.

By the way I thought Margush the drive by keeper was very good.

marinermick

Urena was making those runs down the wing hoping for Miller to put it over the top but to no avail as Miller chose to ignore him and either passed inside or took on a defender himself usually giving up possession.I think Urena touched the ball once.There will need to be lots of work done on the training paddock to integrate him into the team's pattern of play.

He was sharp and mobile but there was definite disconnect with his runs and service from midfield.

Last edited:

Ads

* I think it’s great we are more level and competitive but I still feel even this season when the other team is in our third or they have a set piece we are vulnerable.

However our press and lines are extremely better with the 4-4-2.

* I feel Smylie, Boumann and Urena couldn’t really do much at that stage of the game and can’t really judge them with the lack of possession we had in that period.

But Miller may have been told to go for it and press for the win and get those forwards involved but we really got stuck between going for it and defending a draw.

We should have done one or the other really well rather than getting caught with the ball and a few wishful passes that kept loosing the possession we needed for the draw.

* When needing the draw or win we should never make double changes from subs!!

That is the one that peeved me.
We should have done 1 change every 5 minutes to break down play when they had possession.

And even if wanting to try Urena take Smylie or Boumann of after their 15/20min stint. No harm in subbing a sub if it helps not disrupting the miss or backs from doing the job.

finally retired

* I think it’s great we are more level and competitive but I still feel even this season when the other team is in our third or they have a set piece we are vulnerable.

However our press and lines are extremely better with the 4-4-2.

* I feel Smylie, Boumann and Urena couldn’t really do much at that stage of the game and can’t really judge them with the lack of possession we had in that period.

But Miller may have been told to go for it and press for the win and get those forwards involved but we really got stuck between going for it and defending a draw.

We should have done one or the other really well rather than getting caught with the ball and a few wishful passes that kept loosing the possession we needed for the draw.

* When needing the draw or win we should never make double changes from subs!!

That is the one that peeved me.
We should have done 1 change every 5 minutes to break down play when they had possession.

And even if wanting to try Urena take Smylie or Boumann of after their 15/20min stint. No harm in subbing a sub if it helps not disrupting the miss or backs from doing the job.
I think its a FIFA requirement if using 5 subs in a match, to make them using 3 change windows
https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/07/15/five-substitution-rule-ifab-2020-2021-season-fifa
"
Competition organizers have the option of letting their teams use five substitutes instead of three in 90 minutes, and a sixth in knockout games that go to extra time.

Teams are still limited to three stoppages of play in 90 minutes to make the changes."

Ads

Forum Phoenix

His passing completion was 93% tonight which is as high as it gets in an A-League player. DDS was one of our best players tonight and was more direct and hungry than I have seen him in a long time.

I yearn for the DDS of a few years ago that totally dominated Wellington and then Perth in consecutive games for us. He is not there yet but games like tonight and he will be soon.

I feel weird praising DDS and Clisby on this forum on the one night.
I agree. I thought that was DDS best game for us in a long time. If Kuol plays back that one two he wanted in the box and he scored, probably for sure his best.

Also agree with Dobbie that’s it’s essential he keeps it moving quickly and simple most often, this really helps as players don’t know what he’s going to do. But only twice I saw him over complicate things. Which is a vast improvement. He looks like he’s accepted where he is and just focused on his football again at last.

I did see Clisby overun and bite twice - and his overhit deadballs are too precious as attacking opportunities to be wasted. But I’ve also been a major critic and apart from that he did a lot of solid to excellent work.

Last edited:

booney

Nisbet and DDS had great games but my MOM was Stensness.His passing has been a much improved part of his game this season and he is not dwelling on the ball.He is still physical and his reading of the game is a feature.Having Bozanic in the team will have been a big factor in his improvement.

I was critical of him last season ,especially his passing and decision making , but can see his potential is being realised.

Avoca

Simon verses Gordon: Anatomy of battle

Speedy, it’s a contact sport.” - Mark Bosnich, July 2020.

I believe Matt Simon has taken Bozza’s former advice as gospel, & I was more than happy with the spray our Mariner’s legend gave to a timid Ziggy Gordon last night.

At 31:55 minutes, both Simon & Gordon lunge across the goal mouth, each trying to head the ball.

At 31:56 minutes, Gordon is preparing to take a dramatic dive, clearly milking the opportunity, as his non-committal body flounders into the fetal position.

Suddenly, through divine intervention or ESP, thousands of loyal Mariner’s supporters channel Simon, as the stalwart unleashes some Coastie hospitality on the Scottish deserter, who frankly was never up for the battle.

Through the entire ordeal, Gordon keeps his tearful eyes firmly closed, unprepared to face the fans he sorely cheated.

Last edited:

LFCMariners

Last night felt more like a typical home game against the Roar: look strong most of the game, unfortunate not to score and then the other mob get a goal out of nowhere in the last 10 minutes to seal the match. Bastards. Maybe in exchange we get a perfect home record against Brisbane this season?

Matty again far too reckless and lucky to stay on the pitch, a few wasted chances close to goal by the guys up front and (ultimately) genuinely deserved to come away with at least a point.

Sean, nice to meet you out the front and chat briefly during the h/t smoko.

true believer

the miller of this year is a different player to last year . definitely centre back only now

style_cafe

Just a thought,are WSW on a reduced salary cap?, because i`m f**ked if i know how they can sign so many quality players and still be under the cap.
Seriously,look at their roster. Troisi,Ibini and Gordon all got upgraded pay deals to go there.
Muller,Dorrens, Zeigler and Cox as imports wouldn`t be cheap.
McGowan, Yeboah, Kamau, Baccus, Mourdokas, O`Doherty and Geogevski wouldn`t be playing for nothing either.
Admittedly they have some talented younger players as well but methinks someone is fiddling the books over there...:popcorn:

Pirate Pete

Just a thought,are WSW on a reduced salary cap?, because i`m f**ked if i know how they can sign so many quality players and still be under the cap.
Seriously,look at their roster. Troisi,Ibini and Gordon all got upgraded pay deals to go there.
Muller,Dorrens, Zeigler and Cox as imports wouldn`t be cheap.
McGowan, Yeboah, Kamau, Baccus, Mourdokas, O`Doherty and Geogevski wouldn`t be playing for nothing either.
Admittedly they have some talented younger players as well but methinks someone is fiddling the books over there...:popcorn:
Pretty sure I read Troisi said he accepted less money to go there.
Wouldn't be surprised if Bernie is on the same as he was.
Gordon, maybe the same as the Mariners but a two year deal.
Who knows?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami