• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v Lightning and Spirit FC

Bear

voice of reason said:
The story of the English language is a story of popular use of words and phrases that don't always conform and authority trying to regulate it.  I also hate the use of 'versing' but recognise that if enough people use it widely enough for long enough it may become valid usage.

'versus' means against or facing and is Latin.  It comes from the Latin verb 'versare' to turn.  Since the verb can be conjugated in Latin to say, I face, you face, we face etc there doesn't seem much wrong with saying "we will be facing" or "we will be versing".  That's how language changes over the centuries and why we aren't all speaking gutteral alliterative Old English today!

TAKE THAT DIBO  :p

dibo

voice of reason said:
marinermick said:
dibo said:
bikinigirl said:
dibo said:
RADINHO said:
rather be versing Juventus...

I'd rather be playing Juventus too, but we aren't and I'll get over it.

. but will you get over 'versing'?

But it's so horrible and it makes no sense. It's just sloppy. I'm fine with people not using uncommon or arcane forms of the lingo - 'whom' is probably a word whose time has come to saunter off into disuse - but there's no more reason to say 'we're versing them' than there is to say 'I catched the ball'. It's comprehensible (in that people will understand what you mean) but it's still wrong.

there is not much about the english language that is right or makes sense so i have no problem with versing

The story of the English language is a story of popular use of words and phrases that don't always conform and authority trying to regulate it.  I also hate the use of 'versing' but recognise that if enough people use it widely enough for long enough it may become valid usage.

'versus' means against or facing and is Latin.  It comes from the Latin verb 'versare' to turn.  Since the verb can be conjugated in Latin to say, I face, you face, we face etc there doesn't seem much wrong with saying "we will be facing" or "we will be versing".  That's how language changes over the centuries and why we aren't all speaking gutteral alliterative Old English today!

I got all that, that's why i wrote:

dibo said:
I'm fine with people not using uncommon or arcane forms of the lingo - 'whom' is probably a word whose time has come to saunter off into disuse - but there's no more reason to say 'we're versing them' than there is to say 'I catched the ball'.

You can talk about conjugations of Latin verbs, but this isn't a different conjugation. Its an improper form.

There is a point to having a degree of standardised language, and in a way now even though the grammatical structures of English are basically set the language is evolving faster than ever - year by year more new words and expressions than ever before are being created.

All that is still no more reason to accept 'versing' than 'catched'. So are we to adopt catched as a legitimate past tense of 'to catch'? Similarly, I have no idea where this 'his' for 'he is' thing has come from and I see it a lot on here, and should that be used? It makes it harder to understand what the writer means.

bikinigirl

. didn't think you'd get over it

. and it is only hard to understand if you think about it more than the person who wrote it

dibo

bikinigirl said:
. didn't think you'd get over it

. and it is only hard to understand if you think about it more than the person who wrote it

apologies, but i'm a pedantic grump.

voice of reason

dibo said:
All that is still no more reason to accept 'versing' than 'catched'. So are we to adopt catched as a legitimate past tense of 'to catch'? Similarly, I have no idea where this 'his' for 'he is' thing has come from and I see it a lot on here, and should that be used? It makes it harder to understand what the writer means.

Your choice of 'catched' is a good example of what might come to be...since most of the world's English speakers speak it as a second language, their understanding may be limited.  Think of when a 2year old learns the language.  As they pick up the rules they use terms like 'catched' because it seems to comply with the past tense form, not realising there is an irregular set of verbs that we acquired from Old English.  OE had 300 of these irregular verbs (swim, swam, swum - break, broke, brake - catch, caught, caught etc etc), Modern English has 68 and many of those will disappear because of language change. 

I don't think we should easily give up some rules either but you may find you have swimmed against the tide...(?!)

What was the thread topic again..?  Oh, yes, see you at the CCM v Lightning

sorjesk

C'mon Spirit!!! - and only cause they are my local club and I have been following them for a few years. 1-1 last year - the spirit boys might get up this year...

tyson

Just wondering why they picked one of the two nights footballers on the Central Coast have allocated for training to play the Lightning versing Mariners game...

Isn't the idea to get as many people as possible attending?

blakus

tyson said:
Just wondering why they picked one of the two nights footballers on the Central Coast have allocated for training to play the Lightning versing Mariners game...

im sure if everyone misses 1 night of training it wont matter too much. it is the Mariners after all.

kevrenor

Spirit FC are doing quite well: In past 2 weeks beat Sydney Wanderers, then in R3 Tiger Turf Cup 4 - 1 win over Hawkesbury City, though only managed 1-1 away to Hills United (victors 2-1 over Lightning in TTC) this weekend. They are on top by a point from Blacktown Spartans and Inter Lions after 8 rounds.

Couldn't make the Spirit TTCR3 game due to being sick but will look forward to round 4 (tba) when they are likely to meet a NSWPL side.

Should be a good hit-out versus Mariners (I will miss the Pluim game due to minor op).

dibo

tyson said:

ARGHK!!!

kevrenor

dibo said:
tyson said:

ARGHK!!!
Let's not go there again Dibo, but it conjures up wonderful images of Lawrie quoting Burns, and Fergie addressing the haggis - with McClafferty responding with some Ossian sagas.

I agree that if there is a night when most fans can get there it should be aimed for that night ... it is as much a promotion as a training run.

dru

dibo said:
tyson said:

ARGHK!!!

:popcorn: <Sits back to watch dibo go slowly insane from moderating these forum.>  :popcorn:

tyson

dibo said:
tyson said:

ARGHK!!!

Dibo, relax man. I was taking the piss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred