• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners to play French legends team

Kareem

far out I havent heard the name lizarazu for years...he was a left sided defender (and winger on occasion) wasnt he?
I remember waking up for 98 final- i was goin for France (for the whole world cup) (and then I went for Brazil in 2002 and they won)(then I went for Australia and look wat happened...lol)

Tassiemariner

Kareem said:
far out I havent heard the name lizarazu for years...he was a left sided defender (and winger on occasion) wasnt he?
I remember waking up for 98 final- i was goin for France (for the whole world cup) (and then I went for Brazil in 2002 and they won)(then I went for Australia and look wat happened...lol)
Correct. i only remembered lizarzu's name from reading this months 442 in the "50 greatest biffs" section.
Great left sided defender for Bayern Munich and a french team (PSG or Marsille i think)

Bear

Jesus said:
From what ive heard only 6 from the '98 side are confirmed. I cant see them playing it in sydney, cause i cant see 30000 mariners fans heading down.

I hate to be captain f**king obvious, but do you think that the 80,000 people who went to the Sydney/Galaxy game were all Sydney fans? Im going with no, being that the week after that game they didnt even get 15,000 against the Jets

Just because its the Mariners dose not mean its going to be at bluetongue. If most of the players that Foriegnmariner mentioned do sign up, they will sell more tickets to a game if its in Sydney than they will in Gosford. Its not a reward for the Mariners, its about making money 1st

Jesus

Jesus
I dont know how much of a draw this will be compared to beckham. Sure if they get the likes on henry, trez, vieira, thuram etc to sign up it could certainly. But they will surely be playing in euro, or for their clubs.

marinerbhoy

Zidane finally booked for Sydney exhibition

Matthew Hall
April 6, 2008

EXCLUSIVE

ZINEDINE ZIDANE, one of world football's most decorated figures, is winging his way to Sydney for one last hurrah on June 1.

Zidane - a three-time FIFA World Player of the Year who won the World Cup with France in 1998 and was sensationally sent off in the 2006 Cup final against Italy - will make a whirlwind 72-hour trip to Sydney that will include an exhibition match, a coaching clinic, and appearances at several corporate events.

The 35-year-old will fly into Sydney on May 31 from Noumea, directly after appearing in a charity match organised by Christian Karembeu, his New Caledonian-born teammate from the 1998 French World Cup-winning side.

Both Sydney FC and Central Coast Mariners have been approached to take part in the game, scheduled for June 1 at the Sydney Football Stadium, with suggestions the former Real Madrid and Juventus star could play 45 minutes for each team.

However, efforts to have Football Federation Australia sanction the match have been frustrated by internal regulations banning exhibition games taking place within 14 days of an international featuring the Australian national team.

Australia is scheduled to play Ghana in Sydney on May 23 and Iraq in Brisbane on June 1, the same day the Zidane game is scheduled.

Filling out the calendar further, Sydney is also hosting FIFA's annual congress on May 29 and May 30, immediately before Zidane's arrival.

Other options for the match include Zidane leading his France '98 teammates who will play in New Caledonia - including goalkeeper Fabien Barthez, striker Youri Djorkaeff, Didier Deschamps and Laurent Blanc - against a team representing the Professional Footballers' Association.

"The idea came from my eight-year-old son Brooklyn," organiser Alain Barataud said. "He said 'why don't we bring Zizou to Sydney?'

"I chased Zidane for 18 months. He said yes from the start but it took that long to find a date."

Although FFA will not be officially involved in Zidane's visit, the trip could benefit Australia's 2018 World Cup bid.

"We're also going to show Zizou around Sydney so he can see what it would be like to have the World Cup here," Barataud said.

"I would love it if Zidane ended up supporting Australia's bid for 2018."

Zidane's last game as a professional player was the dramatic 2006 World Cup final in Berlin between France and Italy.

After scoring early he was sent off in extra-time after headbutting Italian bad boy Marco Materazzi in the chest.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/zidane-booked-for-sydney-exhibition/2008/04/05/1207249537731.html

if the match is on june 1 then i dont know what i would do. am planning on being in brisbane.

finally retired

posted on the Sydney FC website in regards to teh report that Zidane will play.....

"i just hope he doest headbutt brosque.... brosque goes down easy enuf at the best of times... a zidane headbutt would sideline him for weeks"........ hah !!! even the Sydney FC fans realise what a wasted space brosque is.....

finally retired

it looks like the rug has been pulled from under the Mariners once again.....what was previously posted as a Mariners to play French Legends....now looks like it will be an Aussie "legends" (if you can call Slater and Foster that) v French legends.... http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/buckley-gives-zizous-sydney-exhibition-match-his-blessing/2008/04/11/1207856831427.html

Buckley gives Zizou's Sydney exhibition match his blessing

Michael Cockerill
April 12, 2008
P

THE greatest player of his era, Zinedine Zidane, will almost certainly make a rare on-field appearance in Sydney with Football Federation Australia likely to sanction an exhibition match on June 1.

Zidane, 35, retired after the 2006 World Cup final, when he was infamously sent off for his altercation with Italian defender Marco Materazzi, and has rarely played since. But it's now likely he will pull on the boots for an International Legends team (which will include several teammates from France's 1998 World Cup-winning side) against an Australian Legends side at Sydney Football Stadium after FFA chief executive Ben Buckley confirmed yesterday the governing body was keen to support the match.

The game falls on the same day the Socceroos play their next World Cup qualifier against Iraq in Brisbane, and just a week after the FIFA Congress in Sydney. But despite the congested timetable - which also includes Australia's friendly match against Ghana at the SFS on May 23 - FFA seems set to bend its rules to allow the game to go ahead.

"If it's the right concept, there's no reason why we wouldn't support it," Buckley said. "You have to bear in mind we have a full schedule at that time, so it will be very challenging to commit FFA resources. At the moment, we're in touch with the promoter [Alain Barataud] to find out exactly what is planned. It may be we don't have to do a lot on the ground.

"We're certainly not against it, that's for sure. Obviously, he's [Zidane] an icon, a true champion of the sport, and we'd welcome him here."

Zidane played charity matches in Thailand and Spain last year, and the three-time World Player of the Year will play alongside many of his former French teammates in an exhibition game in Noumea, New Caledonia, the day before he arrives in Sydney.

That match has been organised by Christian Karembeu - the only Kanak to play in a World Cup final - and while Karembeu won't be coming to Sydney, the likes of Didier Deschamps, Laurent Blanc, Bernard Diomede, Manuel Amoros and Bixente Lizarazu will be appearing at the SFS.

Organisers are also waiting to find out if Fabien Barthez, Christophe Dugarry and Franck Leboeuf will accept invitations to play in the game.

The Australia Legends team is set to be organised by the Professional Footballers Association [PFA], and former Socceroos Robbie Slater, Craig Foster, Kimon Taliadoros, Frank Farina and Paul Okon are among the likely invitees. Organisers are hoping to attract a crowd of around 20,000 for the match, with some of the proceeds expected to go to charity.

mariners4ever

oh well, i would see slater and foster play at the same time as the socceroos game so that they cant be at the game reporting for foxsports/sbs

finally retired

mariners4ever said:
oh well, i would see slater and foster play at the same time as the socceroos game so that they cant be at the game reporting for foxsports/sbs
good point.......there is always a silver lining if you look hard enough...  :p

Omni

Zidane headbutt on Slater OH PLEASE!

(Mind you there's a few that could potentially be on that side that I'd love to see get that - Farina, Kosmina, Arnie Fossie)

Sure The Team formerly known as Australia will get thumped but it'll be good for a laugh.

tyson

can't wait for the fingers to be pointed at Foster when he doesn't play like a Brazilian. Everyone should get little white sticks/wands and point them at him throughout the game while analysing his style, saying 'Nup. Not Brazillian.'

finally retired

it's off !!!!!
Zidane cancels Australian visit

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23777064-23215,00.html

May 29, 2008

THREE-time world footballer of the year Zinedine Zidane has cancelled his trip to Australia, terminating the exhibition match at the Sydney Football Stadium.
Zidane was due to lead a team featuring a number of his teammates from the French side that won the 1998 World Cup, including Marcel Desailly and Robert Pires, against a side composed of stars from Australia's 1997 World Cup qualifying squad, including Paul Okon, Tony Vidmar and Craig Foster.

The 35-year-old pulled out of the visit citing personal reasons, a spokeswoman for the event said.

"It would be like going to see LA Galaxy without Beckham," she said, adding that she expected most people would request a refund if the superstar was not involved.

headcase

The idiot promoter tried arranging the game for Sunday afternoon in Sydney. Despite this clashing with the timing of the World Cup qualifier and being against FFA policy of having games on at that time, they seemed to forget that Zidane and his "team" were playing in Noumea on Saturday night and couldn't have got to Sydney by that time Sunday as there are no flights from Noumea until midday.

Zidane's team apparently put on a great exhibition tonight, winning 8-2 against the Karembeu XI.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred