• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners, the pride of the Coast

Alicia

[size=20pt]Mariners, the pride of the Coast[/size]
By John Singleton

January 23, 2008 12:00am

I'M a proud man this week, watching the baby I helped to create come of age in spectacular fashion.

The success of my beloved Central Coast Mariners is a story of the power of sport, and of the ability of a team to unite a region when the community feels like it is part of the club.

Last weekend the Mariners were crowned A-league minor premiers and on Sunday play for the right to host the grand final.

I've had property on the Coast for 60 years. I watched as rugby league turned its back on us and so, last year, did rugby union.

So when the submissions were made for an eight-team football competition I made the case for the Coast to Frank Lowy, and as a director of Football Australia I then left the room when the final decision was taken.

But it's easy to forget that at the time the team didn't exist, the sponsors and the competition didn't exist.

It was almost an impossible dream. It was a massive struggle at first - I remember going to meetings with chairman Lyall Gorman and we'd walk out without a single sponsor. We had to tap our friends.

I was brought up with soccer like most of us - you play it until you're 10 and then you switch to league, that's where your heroes come from. Now we've got a whole generation of kids who've known nothing but the Mariners.

The players all live here - nine of the final squad were born and raised here.

Most of all we've been very, very fortunate in having Lawrie McKinna as the driving force. He's the coach but also the driving force, the club's spiritual leader.

Just weeks ago Lawrie was doing a local radio interview and suddenly offered to host a barbecue - along with John Aloisi - to the first callers to ring in. Three days later he was cooking the sausages in his backyard.

It isn't just a football club, Lawrie set out to create something that was a vital part of the community.

I doubt there's a primary or high school they haven't visited and trained at, or a shopping centre of whatever size they haven't been to.

Lawrie can coach, too. We did make the grand final in the first year, last year missed the playoffs by a point, and this year we've been on top for all bar a week or two.

Now we are guaranteed a place in the major club competition across Asia next season, when the cream of club sides from Japan, China or Korea could be travelling to the Coast.

It opens up sponsorship opportunities way beyond the Central Coast, even international companies will want to be involved, especially if we're successful in it.

The Mariners can be part of the whole renaissance of the Central Coast.

* John Singleton has no direct involvement in the Mariners except as a sponsor through Bluetongue Stadium.
Share this article

fish

Singo,

People such as yourself are the reason for the clubs birth and for that I am eternally grateful.

(any chance of shouting the Kendall)

brett

He's got it all wrong. This week we're the pride of Australia (and Wellington).

Nice one Singo!

nero

What a champ!

Was it Singo who placed a 100K bet on the Mariners to win against Sydney in season 1 Grandfinal and said if they won he would pay the players the profits?

uncleyellow

Ive got goose bumps Singo!!!

So good to read that. Well done to every single person involved in the club.

LONG LIVE SINGO...Producer of fine beers, ads, and even better football clubs!

promdi442

Now that Singo has disposed of Bluetongue (the grog to coke) I wonder what the name of the stadium will be next . . .  SINGO'S WHOLESALE MEAT STADIUM "where's tezza???"

Seriously though even if football was not Singo's first choice for the Central Coast his promise to Johnny Warren just prior to his death has been the fulfilled and the Central Coast are the richer for his word. There have been articles in the paper previously but this one today is the clincher in that you can see that Singo is now a really dedicated Mariner supporter and for that the whole CCM organization from Lyle down can take a bow. Singo has warmed to the players and has said publicly how he admired the way in which they carry themselves in public.

Thanks Singo and I'm sure Johnny Warren never doubted that once you got involved you would be there for the long haul

promdi442

nero said:
What a champ!

Was it Singo who placed a 100K bet on the Mariners to win against Sydney in season 1 Grandfinal and said if they won he would pay the players the profits?

From Memory the bet was someting like 20 or 25,000 to win 100,000 which was to go to the players.. I may be wrong but that is the way I remember it.

nero

Another good article
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23099138-5006068,00.html

Please reply to the comment from the douse below the article

Alicia

nero said:
Another good article
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23099138-5006068,00.html

Please reply to the comment from the douse below the article

Yeah, I saw that article too.

That picture has quite a few familiar faces in it.  I e-mailed the photo to Lamese this morning with her head circled and a big red arrow pointing to her  :thumbup:

Tassiemariner

The tele article is great. My fav quote
Central Coast, meanwhile, boasts a record sponsorship of $3.1 million and has 13,000 registered soccer players - more than twice that of league, union and AFL combined.

midfielder

What more can you say two great articles who would have throught even last year this was dream land stuff and the Singo Johnny Warren thing is new to me. However Singo's article one will hurt league.

Singo just by publicly being on board says heaps about the A-League to Australian Business and that is very important.

Wonder how the Phillip street spin doctors will react.

Alicia were was the singo letter published and is there a link to it.

Alicia

midfielder said:
What more can you say two great articles who would have throught even last year this was dream land stuff and the Singo Johnny Warren thing is new to me. However Singo's article one will hurt league.

Singo just by publicly being on board says heaps about the A-League to Australian Business and that is very important.

Wonder how the Phillip street spin doctors will react.

Alicia were was the singo letter published and is there a link to it.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/opinion/story/0,22049,23092586-5001031,00.html

Andy

I love reading the Sydney forum and seeing them accuse Singo of helping us rort the salary with the Aloisi signing and with him buying the players a horse.

Alicia

Lawrie is at it again.... :)

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23105350-5006068,00.html

Deej

Alicia said:

Heard it on the radio today, it was so bad but good him for doing it, he really got stuck in towards the end

dibo

Alicia said:

you wot, you wot,
you wot you wot you wot?

omfg classic!

bIsQRLKdtk_LDU2CKDFC66X3XNAKKP5TC3QGWP2ZAZM.jpeg

brett

Nice one gaffer. His singing voice reminds me of Shrek. I'd love to hear him yelling out 'Donkey' when someone f**ks up at training. Particularly if they had an Eddie Murphy impersonation up their sleeve for a comeback.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred