• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

Rowdy

Montgomery said:
"I applied for citizenship in September and hopefuly that will come through this season which means I'm a non-visa player which, at my age, will be a big bonus.

It's still September NOW !

Personally, can't fathom how or why management at CCM have taken soooo long to get this ball rolling.

He signed with us back in August of 2012.

Would be interested to know, (does anybody with/or from their own experience) when is someone eligible to gain citizenship, such as in Monty's case ?

pjennings

Not really this thread or the 'conquering the world' thread but I'm glad Alastair is getting a chance

Melbourne Victory have boosted their goalkeeping stocks with the signing of former Central Coast Mariners goalkeeper Alastair Bray.

Shot-stopper Alastair Bray links up with Melbourne Victory after trialling with the A-League outfit for the past few months.

The 23-year-old joins the AAMI Park outfit on a one-year deal as a replacement for Danny Vukovic.

Bray spent half a season with Central Coast Mariners in January of this year after joining from Bentleigh Greens.

"Alastair has been impressive in training with us and we're excited to officially welcome him to the club," said Victory coach Kevin Muscat.

"We have already seen improvement in Alastair's game in his short time at Victory, and we are confident he will perform his role when his opportunity presents."

Bray added: "It’s a big step up for me and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity.

I really enjoy working with Lawrence. He's at a really high level. I've just got to keep working hard and pushing him.

"Dean (Anastasiadis) is a good coach and he's really getting the best out of me at the moment. "For me it's just to continue improving, and to be ready whenever the opportunity comes."

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/victory-bring-in-bray-438148

pjennings

Personally, can't fathom how or why management at CCM have taken soooo long to get this ball rolling.

Would be interested to know, (does anybody with/or from their own experience) when is someone eligible to gain citizenship, such as in Monty's case ?

The other question is Fabio who started playing for Dulwich Hill in February 2012.

nebakke

I think it's down to the visa, whether there's a temporary period and stuff, before becoming a permanent resident. I think the core requirement is two years as a permanent resident... But who knows when he actually became one?

dibo

From my brother in law's experience, it can take quite a while to become eligible to apply for a range of reasons.

Rowdy

Melbourne Victory have boosted their goalkeeping stocks with the signing of former Central Coast Mariners goalkeeper Alastair Bray.

Shot-stopper Alastair Bray links up with Melbourne Victory after trialling with the A-League outfit for the past few months.

The 23-year-old joins the AAMI Park outfit on a one-year deal as a replacement for Danny Vukovic.

Bray spent half a season with Central Coast Mariners in January of this year after joining from Bentleigh Greens.

"Alastair has been impressive in training with us and we're excited to officially welcome him to the club," said Victory coach Kevin Muscat.

"We have already seen improvement in Alastair's game in his short time at Victory, and we are confident he will perform his role when his opportunity presents."

Bray added: "It’s a big step up for me and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity.

I really enjoy working with Lawrence. He's at a really high level. I've just got to keep working hard and pushing him.

"Dean (Anastasiadis) is a good coach and he's really getting the best out of me at the moment. "For me it's just to continue improving, and to be ready whenever the opportunity comes."

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/victory-bring-in-bray-438148
Totally agree.

Bray should've been 'given a go' earlier than what he was given with us, picked up a miniscus injury (that many said it was best that we booted him because of that) and ultimately he became "one that got away", by our own choice - not his.

That miniscus injury obviously was overblown by many in severity of 'get rid of him', as he's made a full recovery & done well to be signed by a Coach- who I think is one of the most scrutinising and prudent Managers in the League when it comes to signing players.

Add in that fellow Victorian, Chris Oldfield (ex-Liverpool Academy) that also trialled with CCM - was also being considered by Arnie pre-season before Vukovic landed in his lap, in that I thought Oldfield would get a gig in the A-League before Alistair 'got another shot'.

Good on him for working hard & 'proving 'em wrong'.

Fishsdad

I think it's down to the visa, whether there's a temporary period and stuff, before becoming a permanent resident. I think the core requirement is two years as a permanent resident... But who knows when he actually became one?

In general terms you need to have been in Australia for 4 years, - you can put in an application before the four years has elapsed, but generally the application for citizenship will not be considered before the four year mark. From memory you need to have been a Perm Res for at least a year (and you must be here two years before being granted the PR).

The Dept of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs will consider exceptions, but they will need to be well supported and 'ín the interests óf Australia'.

It is unusual, but not unheard of, for a sportsperson to be granted citizenship early. I recall a couple of potential Wallabies being granted citizenship quickly

style_cafe

You obviously have never given up the citizenship of your birth country.
It`s not something that is taken lightly, nor is it a decision to be rushed. :popcorn:

dibo

It`s not something that is taken lightly, nor is it a decision to be rushed. :popcorn:
UK citizens can keep the red passport, as long as they don't plan on running for office!

Rowdy

Dinky'Dyed True-Blue !
... so yeah, NO idea ?? on applying for citizenship of another country, THUS the question/s.

So where does the term 'Dual Citizenship' come into play.

An Englishmen,
- becoming an Australian,
- is then not allowed to return /or reside in the place of his birth ? :confused:

Is it just the 'right' to do a Lawrie & become the local Mayor McCheese, as Dibo states that a new UK Citizen is giving up or are there other's?

What else would Monty be 'giving up' by taking out Aussie Citizenship other than a chance of Parliamentary privilege ?

Rowdy

Okon: Mariners’ winning mentality has begun !
paul-okon-says-the-mariners-winning-culture-is-slowly-developing-in-gosford_vi5cepjb7tek1fiixmb68akl7.jpg

- Paul Okon says the Mariners' winning culture is slowly
developing in Gosford.

New Mariners coach Paul Okon says his side’s evolution is slowly coming together, including bringing a winning mentality back to Gosford.

Okon, who was appointed less than a month ago, says he’s slowly seeing his ideas in training come to life on the park.

“We certainly want to see what we’ve been working on happening in the game, that’s probably our main focus coming in this late in the pre-season,” he told reporters on Thursday.

Central Coast have a friendly with Wellington Phoenix at Nelson’s Trafalgar Park on Saturday. And it’s another chance for the former Socceroo to fine tune his team’s patterns of play after a loss on the weekend to Phoenix in Sydney.

central-coast-mariners-boss-paul-okon-guides-his-team-through-a-training-session_1a5oy8xln127r1cj0qbwckbf70.jpg

“But I want to win anything I play in. The result is important. We want to have a winning mentality and a winning culture. "

“And that doesn’t just start in Round 1, you want to see that throughout the whole pre-season. I was disappointed we didn’t win on the weekend but the main focus was the way we played. And that’ll be the same on Saturday [in Nelson].”

The Mariners kick off their new Hyundai A-League season away to Perth Glory on Saturday night, October 8.

On the injury front, Fabio Ferreira has been training for three weeks and will see game time in Nelson, said Okon. “He’s a top athlete and these sorts of injuries [hamstrings] can happen to guys who run that fast.”

fabio-ferreira_1a2ntv6w9px8h1m4ml2tg7xnmz.jpg

Though Central Coast are likely to be without rising star Liam Rose who is currently with the Young Socceroos. “He’s due back on the weekend," said Okon. "But if he’s selected we’ll then say goodbye to him a couple of days later. “We probably won’t get him [back] till the end of October. So we won’t have him for the first three rounds.”

pjennings

I think FP has a point. We are yet to see how an Okon team goes in a real match. Surely it is too early to be bagging him at this stage.

However, we have put up with not only poor results, but poor performances for far too long. We expect more from the Mariners and frankly I suspect both the clubs and the fans are not prepared to continue to be so forgiving. I expect Paolo has been told that a marked improvement on Tony's performance and results are expected from him and there are clauses in his contract along those lines.

Last edited:

Big Al

Just playing fluff ball at the moment. Trying different combo's and swapping teams half way through games.

Give him a few actual games to see what he can do but it's the same crap squad plus some questionable SFC players.

I'd say our performances may hinge more on the effort Taveras and Faty put in vs. what PO can do. Without them performing nothing PO does will matter.

Forum Phoenix

I'm sorry but why trust?

He's a Scummer with a poor track record as a coach.

His pre season results are rubbish. He isn't doing anything to endear himself is he?

I don't see Okon as a Scummer. I see him as the Mariners new coach. I'm all for Scummer banter and the dark stain it leaves on a players soul and shorts etc... But to take it so seriously, as to outstrip reality, would be to fall into the absurd. Which I think your post does.

'Trust' at the very least, in the form of forbearance, is giving any coach an even remotely reasonable amount of time before deciding that he's not up to it.

He's been employed for what 4 weeks FFC? How long do you think would have been fair? A fortnight?

Skepticism is healthy, doubt/ fear understandable, but unbridled pessimism is pointless.

No way he can have transformed them yet. So let's at least give him some of the actual season proper and a full month in the job.

Last edited:

Rowdy

If our current coach, Okon, once playing for Newcastle makes him a 'Scummer' then :

Lawrie + Breakers = Scummer
Arnie + SydUnited = Croat
Moss + CC Coasties = Coastie
Walmsley + Nobody = Neville. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members