• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

Tevor

Now pretty sure Paolo gave Berry's signing the green light given he was a certainty late last week and we only had to wait for the formalities.

pjennings

Just picking up from Dibo on the Paolo thread

So, to tin tacks.
I'll say it straight up - I don't expect us to win many games at all in the first half of the season. I also won't be surprised if there's a bit of a clean-out in January, as suddenly certain players who've been cast aside find that they'd love to take up the opportunity to play for the club in Malaysia or Singapore that they've supported since they were a boy.

Paolo mentioned in his interview that it was a clean slate for players. He also said that we have 17 players coming off contract. These are

Necesvski and Izzo - arguably first and 2nd choice keeper
Neill and McDonald - both left backs
Faty and Poscoliero - both starting CBs
Roux and Adelson - starting RB and his shadow
Montgomery, Tavares and Rose 1st 2nd and 3rd choice HMs
as well as forwards as six forwards in Fletcher, O'Donovan, Trent, Bingers, Fab and Appiah-Kubi

Our only long term players are THB, Ascroft, McGing, Berry, Pain and Powell

Okon has plenty of time in the coming months before January to decide who he likes the look of and the opportunity to lock them into longer term contracts. If I was a player that still hadn't sorted out next season by January I would be getting nervous. If you are coming off a poor season and have not impressed the new boss it's not as if many would be beating a path to your door.

I expect a few changes in January and a squad next season that will be quite different.

pjennings

Rumour that Okon's first signing will be Shayne D'Cunha ex WSW youngster who has played for Aust U20 and U23

Wombat

I just googled it. He is an RB........not a possie we need fixed urgently as Jacob and Storm can fill that role.

nebakke

I didn't think that we were signing anymore players.

Noone seems to have picked up on it, but there was a thing on wassisname "The Secret Agent?" saying that Okon had identified the need for another CB and gone to MC and Storrie to say that it's a must-have... If he's also looking at an RB I'm a bit worried for Posco, and that surprises me, unless it's for cover of course :)

Rowdy

Mariners coach unhappy at defensive option:

Screenshot_2016-09-01-08-23-56-1_zpsrhu8oohd.png

By The Secret Agent:

Only days into his appointment, new Central Coast Mariners coach Paul Okon has demanded the club recruit at least one new player with a central defender at the top of his list.

The former Socceroo great is having serious doubts about the ability of the current crop of defenders at the Mariners, and would like an alternative central defensive partner for ex-Sydney FC recruit Jacques Faty.

If defensive reinforcements are brought in, it's likely current central defenders Harry Ascroft and Jake McGing will be told they are free to leave the club.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/foot...oachs-wrath/tofq6u3ayobp10353r3m3xwkv/slide/3

nebakke

If defensive reinforcements are brought in, it's likely current central defenders Harry Ascroft and Jake McGing will be told they are free to leave the club.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/foot...oachs-wrath/tofq6u3ayobp10353r3m3xwkv/slide/3

I still don't get this actually... I could've sworn that both McGing and Ascroft were billed as DMs when we signed then and both of them have had their best performances in those positions, yet they keep getting played as CBs... I know we don't exactly have a dearth of CDMs but this moving them around doesn't seem to be working.
Anyway, with the current head count, wouldn't we be better off keeping both of them at least till Jan?

Rowdy

Shayne D'Cunha's signing, if true seems a strange one seeing he's also asking for cash to sign a CB (which we DO NEED).

I know Walmsley stupidly played Ascroft at RB last season as cover, but surely Okon recognises that’s not his natural position ??

Again, stupidly, Walmsley had recently moved Monty to DM, but seriously he's NOT the solution for a stronger back 4 and was severely missed at DM when moved there.

Faty & Posco, most def the (current) starting CB's & Rosey gone.

Even if Paolo gets his wish of another CB, the old rule of '2 players for every position' (fighting for/injury) would mean we would still need to keep one of either Ascroft or McGing, would it not ?

localpom

Noone seems to have picked up on it, but there was a thing on wassisname "The Secret Agent?" saying that Okon had identified the need for another CB and gone to MC and Storrie to say that it's a must-have... If he's also looking at an RB I'm a bit worried for Posco, and that surprises me, unless it's for cover of course :)
I think we do need another RB fairly urgently. We don't know when Storm will be back and when he will be at his best again. Switching Posco over to the RB pozzie is just playing him out of position and also leaving us short in the CB area. We would be so much stronger with a new RB and CB, and gives us back up and competition for places.

localpom

Shayne D'Cunha's signing, if true seems a strange one seeing he's also asking for cash to sign a CB (which we DO NEED).

I know Walmsley stupidly played Ascroft at RB last season as cover, but surely Okon recognises that’s not his natural position ??

Again, stupidly, Walmsley had recently moved Monty to DM, but seriously he's NOT the solution for a stronger back 4 and was severely missed at DM when moved there.

Faty & Posco, most def the (current) starting CB's & Rosey gone.

Even if Paolo gets his wish of another CB, the old rule of '2 players for every position' (fighting for/injury) would mean we would still need to keep one of either Ascroft or McGing, would it not ?
I'd be disappointed to see either McGing or Ascroft gone, as when playing in their correct positions seem promising and also they have the right attitude we need at this club. Regardless, I thought they were contracted anyway?

dibo

How many DMs do we need though?

Monty, Tavares, Rose, Ascroft, McGing...

Okon's a 'triangle pointing backwards' 4-3-3 coach - he'll want to play with one 6 and two 10s (or at worst, a 6, a link-man and a 10). He doesn't need 5 DMs.

Monty and Tavares are safe because frankly they'll be expensive to move on. Rose is safe because he's a cracking player. Ascroft and McGing are (sadly) relatively expendable. Even if paid out, they don't use up much cap (and we've got plenty to spare...).

localpom

How many DMs do we need though?

Monty, Tavares, Rose, Ascroft, McGing...

Okon's a 'triangle pointing backwards' 4-3-3 coach - he'll want to play with one 6 and two 10s (or at worst, a 6, a link-man and a 10). He doesn't need 5 DMs.

Monty and Tavares are safe because frankly they'll be expensive to move on. Rose is safe because he's a cracking player. Ascroft and McGing are (sadly) relatively expendable. Even if paid out, they don't use up much cap (and we've got plenty to spare...).
Agree mostly Dibo but I was thinking more of a season or two ahead.....Monty and Tav are not young and maybe will only have another season after this coming one in them. Tavares I think is only contracted for one year? Liam is a cracking player, so much so I think he might be gone by the end of the season. If we can continue to develop McGing and Ascroft they can step in when they need to, and already have some decent experience.

Rowdy

I think we do need another RB fairly urgently.
Switching Posco over to the RB pozzie is just playing him out of position and also leaving us short in the CB area.
Disagree, Posco plays just as well at RB. In fact it was the poor form of Storm at RB that opened the door for Posco to get regular game time and he kept Roux out of the position only until Anderson fcuking up continually at CB that forced Moss to put him back in the middle.

He alternated back forth all season (pushing Storm out), going from strength to strength with each game. He seemed to me to actually relish the RB role, allowing him to get forward (which you'll see him do from CB time to time) he's quite comfortable on the ball, passes and moves in the triangles well and has a good cross. Add in his great engine and that agression he has to tackle, he's a no brainer.

In fact I'd actually play him over Storm (if we've got x2 solid CB's), as he handles the defensive side of RB better than Storm (he got caught out too many times at the back post last year) - and from what I've seen is comparable to him going forward imo.

We would be so much stronger with a new RB and CB, and gives us back up and competition for places.
If Okon gets this suggested ca$h for another CB, we dont need another RB ..... we've got Posco.

Which is why D'Cunha would be/is a waste, we NEED an Attacking Midfielder, surely Okon knows who & where the next Musti Amini is ???

A kid who won't co$t a bomb is worth speculating on, with Powell there as an alternative if he can't step it up in his first year ..... I could live with.

localpom

Disagree, Posco plays just as well at RB. In fact it was the poor form of Storm at RB that opened the door for Posco to get regular game time and he kept Roux out of the position only until Anderson fcuking up continually at CB that forced Moss to put him back in the middle.

He alternated back forth all season (pushing Storm out), going from strength to strength with each game. He seemed to me to actually relish the RB role, allowing him to get forward (which you'll see him do from CB time to time) he's quite comfortable on the ball, passes and moves in the triangles well and has a good cross. Add in his great engine and that agression he has to tackle, he's a no brainer.

In fact I'd actually play him over Storm (if we've got x2 solid CB's), as he handles the defensive side of RB better than Storm (he got caught out too many times at the back post last year) - and from what I've seen is comparable to him going forward imo.

If Okon gets this suggested ca$h for another CB, we dont need another RB ..... we've got Posco.

Which is why D'Cunha would be/is a waste, we NEED an Attacking Midfielder, surely Okon knows who & where the next Musti Amini is ???

A kid who won't co$t a bomb is worth speculating on, with Powell there as an alternative if he can't step it up in his first year ..... I could live with.
Agree on the AM option. Really though, more than anything we need to get our defensive structure right. I guess Okon will know what he wants and we will soon see what he is looking for. Personally I rate Storm as a RB and Posco as a CB, but that is just me. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred