• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2022/2023

Ironbark

Agreed. I called us not making it through after maybe the second loss of the last group stage and got shouted down, but the writing was on the wall after the performances we were putting in

Huddo

Have a squad of 28 for two games. Not much point bringing in someone who wasn't in the top 29 to begin with.
It was a possible 3 games.
And the idea that placing a player in a playing group to give them exposure to national team camps cannot be understated. To add it is also an advertisement to clubs and scouts to have a look at what the bloke has to offer. Finally it's a signal to the player that he's on the right path.

Yorkshire Mariners FC

It was a possible 3 games.
And the idea that placing a player in a playing group to give them exposure to national team camps cannot be understated. To add it is also an advertisement to clubs and scouts to have a look at what the bloke has to offer. Finally it's a signal to the player that he's on the right path.
Or to have the balls to recognise 'I completely stuffed up team selection'. Think Glen Hoddle not taking Gazza ('98), that idiot Aussie coach at the last WC not subbing in Cahill when EVERYONE in the world except him just knew it was the right time. Perhaps more suitably, in cricket, Paul Reiffel not being selected for an Ashes trip, injury happen and he was rightfully selected. He went on to be one of the top wicket takers.

turbo

And the idea that placing a player in a playing group to give them exposure to national team camps cannot be understated
I think it would have been at least worth taking him into the camp. You can’t say ‘the others have played together and know each other’s game’ to keep him out but not throw him the opportunity to start getting used to them without any pressure.

Arnold is doing the future coach, or even himself if he were to miraculously get renewed, a disservice by keeping Cummings on the outer. Start integrating him now because an injury/absence or two would really ruin our depth and options.

Forum Phoenix

I'd happily leave McLaren out.
Goes missing in big games
I rated McClaren. But this has proved true.

Arnold has managed to focus the discussion on McClaren vs Cummings. Which it isn’t. I’m well and truly in the Cumdog is a better team player and a better striker - the versatility alone of being able to score from range is a massive bonus. But pretending they’re the same player so you can then ignore the fact he’s better than Duke and Dagastino and Tilio as well for that matter, is precisely why Arny now needs to go.

They’re as different as players are as they as personalities. But regardless, what club doesn’t want the two best strikers in the squad? Even if you’re having the can’t have both on the Karl same time - having a like for like striker to come is very valuable tactically. This way fatigue or injury don’t force you to change the way your playing if it’s working.

Anyway. We’re not going to the next World Cup. And it’s unlikely the next coach will be dumb enough to snub such a great player,

Last edited:

turbo

Arnold has managed to focus the discussion on McClaren vs Cummings. Which it isn’t. I’m well and truly in the Cumdog is a better team player and a better striker - the versatility alone of being able to score from range is a massive bonus. But pretending they’re the same player so you can ignore the fact he’s better than Duke and Dagastino as well is precisely why Arne now needs to go.
It's easy to defend having the ALM golden boot winner in the squad, questions about Duke, Taggart coming back to fitness and form, and Daggers are harder to answer. Personally I think Duke and Daggers are closer to being the same player in terms of what they do and how they go about it. Of the two I would take Daggers (24 years old) for his long term potential and Duke at 31 is unlikely to be going round again for the 2026 world cup while the others on the list are 26-29 and shouldn't age out of the squad before then. Might get pushed out if some of the younger players kick on but thats a different issue.

On Maclaren going missing we dont often get in situations where we can use a poachers skill sets especially against harder opponents so Maclaren's skillset isnt being utilised too well.. Cummings offers more flexibility at the expense of perhaps not being quite as clinical in specific situations but you'd think a coach would want that up their sleeve

Insertnamehere

Complete hypothetical but IF both Birra and Kye go, who would be our next captain? Birra has stood in after the whole bozanic thing and Kye has been touted as a future captain and part of the leadership team.

I would guess Urena, but Roux has the age and experience as well if he plays more consistent minutes. Nis is still too young and JC is too new in my opinion still
Niz. Heart beat of the midfield. 23 next season. 65 games under his belt.

Otherwise Marcos.

Insertnamehere

It's easy to defend having the ALM golden boot winner in the squad, questions about Duke, Taggart coming back to fitness and form, and Daggers are harder to answer. Personally I think Duke and Daggers are closer to being the same player in terms of what they do and how they go about it. Of the two I would take Daggers (24 years old) for his long term potential and Duke at 31 is unlikely to be going round again for the 2026 world cup while the others on the list are 26-29 and shouldn't age out of the squad before then. Might get pushed out if some of the younger players kick on but thats a different issue.

On Maclaren going missing we dont often get in situations where we can use a poachers skill sets especially against harder opponents so Maclaren's skillset isnt being utilised too well.. Cummings offers more flexibility at the expense of perhaps not being quite as clinical in specific situations but you'd think a coach would want that up their sleeve
Duke isn't a striker. He's more an inside forward. Daggers is more like JC than Mactapin.

JoyfulPenguin

I don't know the full details of why he left, I think it was just more money, of all the players to have left over the years he disappointed me most (until that winning Scotsman left - ability wise I wasn't too upset, it was his stupid comments). We nurtured him back from a knee injury and he does bailed as soon as he was able.
Could you really blame him for that though? We were staring down another wooden spoon and he reportedly got a better deal from Perth. First team football at Perth, who at the time had a better side on paper and a pay rise. Obviously it wasn't great for us but I can understand his reasoning.

turbo

Could you really blame him for that though? We were staring down another wooden spoon and he reportedly got a better deal from Perth. First team football at Perth, who at the time had a better side on paper and a pay rise. Obviously it wasn't great for us but I can understand his reasoning.
Aspro went to WU after us. Signed early for them and watched them sign more experienced guys like Durante in front of him. Would have been better off staying with us and playing regularly. Grass isnt always greener.

JoyfulPenguin

Aspro went to WU after us. Signed early for them and watched them sign more experienced guys like Durante in front of him. Would have been better off staying with us and playing regularly. Grass isnt always greener.
Ah you're right, apologies, forgot he initially went to Estadio De Tarneit.
Still though , more money and a good shot at first team football in a far stronger side on paper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred