• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

Ads

The sell on clause money will come back to the club itself at some point if he does well.

However can anybody answer if the “compensation” or “training fee” money can be directly banked by Charlesworth before he sells the club?

Is there anything stopping MC from selling players at overs as we are having a good season and keeping any takings before selling the club on?

FFC Mariner

I expect there are substantial "loans" from MC to CCM - thats how he would account for losses and money he has tipped in.
Therefore, he could pocket any lump sums coming in as repayment for said loans.
See the entry under Ryan M

Michael

People need to calm down when they see “free transfer”
Never necessarily means money isn’t involved, as has been mentioned we will receive compensation for developing alou. And put your house on there being a sell on clause and maybe performance related fees. This is the best possible outcome.
I’m over the moon for the kid. I hope he becomes a success and can financially help his parents in the future.
In football terms, we have the cattle coming through so to speak. This could be a huge blessing for Smylie in particular. Rumoured to have been told he wouldn’t get a senior deal but what now? And ofcourse Tsekenis is developing rapidly. Then who knows how good Garang Kuol will be.
it sucks to lose alou at seasons end but it’s what we’re set up to do as a club. I wish him the best. And I know he score more goals before he leaves.

Big Al

This is great for everyone but it does show the one chink in our system which is of course due to our poor finances.

We like offering scholarships for little pay but some exposure.

I’d say Koul being so successful so quickly backfired because we didn’t have the ability to tie him down to a good contract before he attracted attention which would of effected our position at the negotiating table.
Also Ken Schembri said on the podcast that he is quite comfortable having players on 1 yr deals. This doesn’t help when you have something special and want to sell them. However if they aren’t up to it you can get out of the contract quickly. It’s a juggling act and probably why our club is more interested in sell on clauses like Matt Ryan than up front sales figures

Last edited:

Big Al

The sell on clause money will come back to the club itself at some point if he does well.

However can anybody answer if the “compensation” or “training fee” money can be directly banked by Charlesworth before he sells the club?

Is there anything stopping MC from selling players at overs as we are having a good season and keeping any takings before selling the club on?
@FFC Mariner answered your question but just to go into it a little further.
The simple answer is no he owns the club so can do what he wants.
The sales proceeds would go directly to the club but then MC could withdraw those funds out of the bank account whenever he wants. How that is treated is up to the accountants but FFC is correct here that he would be owed a substantial figure for money he has contributed to keep the club afloat.
You really couldn’t blame him if he did take the cash to repay himself even though we would prefer that money reinvested in the club

Michael

This is great for everyone but it does show the one chink in our system which is of course due to our poor finances.

We like offering scholarships for little pay but some exposure.

I’d say Koul being so successful so quickly backfired because we didn’t have the ability to tie him down to a good contract before he attracted attention which would of effected our position at the negotiating table.
Also Ken Schembri said on the podcast that he is quite comfortable having players on 1 yr deals. This doesn’t help when you have something special and want to sell them. However if they aren’t up to it you can get out of the contract quickly. It’s a juggling act and probably why our club is more interested in sell on clauses like anat Ryan than up front sales figures

if you look at it from a different angle. The compensation fee’s, of which we don’t know the value, could be what makes the club comfortable in the 1 year contracts as it speeds up negotiations and might be set amount perhaps. Then they can focus on future performance related fees and sell on clauses for example. Which could possibly massively help the club down the road if the player succeeds. Because say we try negotiate the best possible transfer fee and the European club say no, they know their pulling power and can sign the player when his contract is expired for literally zero dollars to the club.
We’re not going to get a million for a player again any time soon. It was shocking we got that for Rostyn back in the day. Caceres went to man city for a rumoured $250k which was crazy at that time as we began our decline and I can’t even remember the fee’s we got for musti, maty, Tommy, Bernie and sains. But they weren’t as huge as some people thought.

Forum Phoenix

@FFC Mariner answered your question but just to go into it a little further.
The simple answer is no he owns the club so can do what he wants.
The sales proceeds would go directly to the club but then MC could withdraw those funds out of the bank account whenever he wants. How that is treated is up to the accountants but FFC is correct here that he would be owed a substantial figure for money he has contributed to keep the club afloat.
You really couldn’t blame him if he did take the cash to repay himself even though we would prefer that money reinvested in the club
Furthermore. Mike and Shaun have stated there is a set budget. He will not raise that budget because additional revenue comes in. He will just offset a higher degree of his losses.

He may be recouping directors loans like FFC said, but unless we sell, he’ll just be putting it right back in for next season anyway given we’re not in the black. So until he stops losing money on the club, there’s no reasonable axe we can grind - we can say please lose/spend more money, and he can say yay, because of this sale of player x I now will only lose x much dollars next financial year on the Mariners,

Last edited:

Corsair

This was inevitable. I'm pleased he's staying until the end of the season. I'm not sure how it will impact his minutes... play him more now the cats out of the bag or less in case he gets injured before the transfer.

Would there be any requirements set by the contract around how much we can play him?

Pirate Pete

Goulburn Valley Suns will also get a cut of the development fee for Alou.
That's true, but I don't know how much.
I seem to recall when Jedinak left us the team he came from (Sutherland?) complained they didn't get much.
I can't remember the figure but either $3K or $8K?
At the time I think were was a push by these lower league clubs to get a bigger slice of the pie in future.

I'm sure someone on here posted a very complicated and detailed account of who gets what from a players transfers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami