• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

Corsair

I think DDS has more to offer and has suffered with his confidence last season
Chokes in front of goal, the shots he does have are typically weak and he gets pushed off the ball. Needs to hit the gym and bulk up. Agree there is a confidence issue there as well. Also plays backwards or runs into dead ends far too often. I'm much more excited about seeing our new signings and nisbet this season.

midfielder

On DDS

What I see is a confidence player ... when he is on a high he plays well when he is down he plays often poorly..

So what effects a players confidence ... essentially success on the field...

For me DDS is best suited as a wide forward who also has to track back when the ball is lost...

He is best with the ball played in front of him although he can turn on a ball better than most in our squad ..

Its his decision making that effects his confidence... whether to pass or dribble.... he can do both but often tries to dribble and fails and often dribbles when he should pass..

Class wise light years apart but Mo Salah at Liverpool had similar tendencies ... he was coached to look up more and pass ...

DDS needs coaching and kick in the arse coaching to look up more and pass...

He is past the future potential bit ... my hope is the dribble / pass issue he has is beyond obvious and my assumption is coaching staff have been working on it with him...

If he can sort out his dribble / pass issues and understand he needs to track back he will IMO have an outstanding season.... if he does not he will finish on the bench...

Forum Phoenix

Love to agree with the DDS enthusiasts, and I want to be clear, I'm not anti DDS, and think we could do worse. He's still so young, so surely going to continue to improve.

BUT, there's a reason a young player with his technical ability did not progress let alone succeed in his career OS. The same reason he was passed over by Sydney, and dropped from the NT. And it's not confidence. Though of course a lack of confidence scales to any issue you may have and worsens it. Remember when the NT attempted to get him to play in the front third? Had it from a very credible source, coaches said he simply could not get his head around it. He clearly has a problem with decision making. A lot of players do. Truly separates the good from the great.

Top creative players the world over are all famed for the same trait, two steps ahead, can see a pass before anyone else and put it on a plate. If he could even remotely consistently do that, no way he's in Australia, and no way in hell he's at the Mariners. I suspect his limitations as a player are now well known in the upper echelons of Oz football.

And that's ok, he's still clearly got more to offer than most Australian players, but he at the least currently lacks the key ingredient to dictate a game, so he can't be relied on for that. If you do, you'll get what Mick noted in NZ, the odd blinder where all the stars align which is clearly - a stopped clock is right twice a day stuff, and the rest of the time you'll get what he has shown for us.

And you can't blame the team last year, the worst and bulk of mistakes are individual. If it's about the team... Milan did not do what he does, ok he's very experienced, but nor does Nisbet, our least experienced. and I could go on. It's mental. Hoping Bouman has it. You can't imho ever be a real number ten without it.

Ollie definitely has a great football brain. (as does Nisbet) So hopefully they can help DDS progress, but when it comes to running our games... We need to be relying on Ollie and the new Visa signings. Imo, for DDS to have a great season, he needs a very specific role in a very well drilled side. Otherwise expecting him to put all the pieces together this season I think is going to be a disappointment, given he hasn't been able to do it reliably for any side since he started playing professionally.

Ancient Mariner

Great summary FP. It is something I call football brain. Messi is the best I have seen with it. It is why I have been so impressed with Nisbett. Kwassy even had it when he trusted his instincts rather than thinking about it.
It is a talent that in many sports that separates the good from the truly great. The players who have it seem to have more time even though they may be slower than their lass gifted teammates.
I could go on, however I think you have described it well.
Unfortunately, I am sure it is something that cannot be taught. But as you rightly say he has skills. He can be an asset if he can be trained to beat one, then get his head up and pass.

Wombat

Love to agree with the DDS enthusiasts, and I want to be clear, I'm not anti DDS, and think we could do worse. He's still so young, so surely going to continue to improve.

BUT, there's a reason a young player with his technical ability did not progress let alone succeed in his career OS. The same reason he was passed over by Sydney, and dropped from the NT. And it's not confidence. Though of course a lack of confidence scales to any issue you may have and worsens it. Remember when the NT attempted to get him to play in the front third? Had it from a very credible source, coaches said he simply could not get his head around it. He clearly has a problem with decision making. A lot of players do. Truly separates the good from the great.

Top creative players the world over are all famed for the same trait, two steps ahead, can see a pass before anyone else and put it on a plate. If he could even remotely consistently do that, no way he's in Australia, and no way in hell he's at the Mariners. I suspect his limitations as a player are now well known in the upper echelons of Oz football.

And that's ok, he's still clearly got more to offer than most Australian players, but he at the least currently lacks the key ingredient to dictate a game, so he can't be relied on for that. If you do, you'll get what Mick noted in NZ, the odd blinder where all the stars align which is clearly - a stopped clock is right twice a day stuff, and the rest of the time you'll get what he has shown for us.

And you can't blame the team last year, the worst and bulk of mistakes are individual. If it's about the team... Milan did not do what he does, ok he's very experienced, but nor does Nisbet, our least experienced. and I could go on. It's mental. Hoping Bouman has it. You can't imho ever be a real number ten without it.

Ollie definitely has a great football brain. (as does Nisbet) So hopefully they can help DDS progress, but when it comes to running our games... We need to be relying on Ollie and the new Visa signings. Imo, for DDS to have a great season, he needs a very specific role in a very well drilled side. Otherwise expecting him to put all the pieces together this season I think is going to be a disappointment, given he hasn't been able to do it reliably for any side since he started playing professionally.

Well written and some good points. I hope he proves you wrong (......sitting up in the Prawn munching seats with Ancient for a couple of games gave me a different perspective and crystallized what was wrong with his game and i was vocal about it on here....... but quality cant be taught and he has it already) but if he doesnt it will certainly be nice to have that calibre of player sitting on the bench to hopefully come on and make something happen.

Last edited:

Ads

Urena just got the mention on daily oz football so by third round depending on delays we might start to shape up.

Miller—-Nigro—-Rowles—Clisby
——Nisbit——Olly——Stens—-
——Jank-—-Urena—-Janato—-

Casella - Front/Mid
Kuol - Front
Simon - Front
Dan Hall - Back
Hatch - Mid/Back
DDS - Mid
Pearce

turbo

I thought that would be the case but the opener is still on according to the SMH.
Something that could work in the leagues favour is the test being on over the time the A league kicks off. They need to make a call on the test ahead of Boxing Day and I doubt they’ll go closed doors for that.

finally retired

I know stats aren't everything....but TrasnferMarkt has him with 1 assist in 7 games for the Korean team. He hasn't been getting many minutes...is he injured?
As a centre forward his 1 assist/no goals is close to what our homegrown players do,....so not sure why we would bring in a visa player who was no better than what we have?
1608550716180.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred