• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

Avoca

Good pick up i think. Can take a penalty too. So could be Jonata on the left and Sekiya on the right? Would just need a decent striker to put the chances away.
Any news on Sekiya? I know he had a trial last week with the squad.

AuzDutchy

Matt Simon to be Golden Boot ????:piralaugh:
you joke, but i cant remember the last season Matty played for us where he was given good service and missed tonnes of chances? last few years he didnt have many chances and has mainly played hold up.

i imagine when we signed Tommy Oar we were counting on him peppering the box with good crosses, Muz and Matty would have done alot better with good service last 2 years

finally retired

you joke, but i cant remember the last season Matty played for us where he was given good service and missed tonnes of chances? last few years he didnt have many chances and has mainly played hold up.

i imagine when we signed Tommy Oar we were counting on him peppering the box with good crosses, Muz and Matty would have done alot better with good service last 2 years
sorry....I wasn't clear..... :oops:
The laughing emoji was aimed at the many Simon haters around a-league fan forums.....I was imagining THEIR reaction when Simon was Golden Boot...and laughing at THEM. I wont do it again.....

midfielder

Perhaps one to many Hunter Reds ....

Last night I sat down with pencil in hand and looked back across our last three maybe four seasons..

Then as the bottle drained, looked at the A-League table in those years...

Finally as the bottle was nearing half way I pondered my watching of games at the stadium and tried / attempted/ to remember what went wrong..

As a final bit the pencil had me look at the various squads of the other sides...

My pencil work indicated to me a lot of analysis has gone into deciding the make up of the side.

Essentially over the previous few years our key signings have been defensive mids or defensive players...

The last season we had ..... hhhmmmm a reasonable amount to cheer about was when Roy The Boy was up front ...

Me thinks the decision has been made that the defense can be left but we need to be able to score ..

Given most sides will be weaker then IMO its a smart call... if we score more and concede the same we will win more games... be better to watch ...

However if other sides are weaker in attack then the defense should be better... and if other sides defensives are weaker by developing up front we should score more goals than last year.

Maybe it was Hunter Red but me thinks depending on the next two to three signing's we could be in for a reasonable year.

turbo

Given most sides will be weaker
That was the expectation back when players were going to ISL but some more recent signings suggest that wont necessarily be true. Less money around the place but there's still talent coming in. Hardly going to be NPL level.

You are right that lack of attacking threat has often put us on the back foot and allowed teams to be more aggressive against us but I don't believe our defending has been good enough overall in recent years. But at least with an improved front third we will have a shot at fighting back if we go behind.

pjennings

That was the expectation back when players were going to ISL but some more recent signings suggest that wont necessarily be true. Less money around the place but there's still talent coming in. Hardly going to be NPL level.

You are right that lack of attacking threat has often put us on the back foot and allowed teams to be more aggressive against us but I don't believe our defending has been good enough overall in recent years. But at least with an improved front third we will have a shot at fighting back if we go behind.
I actually think the midfield is key. Kim was brought in last year as a DM but had to deputize a lot as a CB and Duric was often injured. Nizzy came into the side and will be better in that role this year and will probably be alongside Ollie. More solid screening will make our defence look better and Ollie and Niz both are always looking to move the ball forward quickly so I think that will help. A couple of decent signings in the front third and we will be better than last year.

turbo

I actually think the midfield is key. Kim was brought in last year as a DM but had to deputize a lot as a CB and Duric was often injured. Nizzy came into the side and will be better in that role this year and will probably be alongside Ollie. More solid screening will make our defence look better and Ollie and Niz both are always looking to move the ball forward quickly so I think that will help. A couple of decent signings in the front third and we will be better than last year.
I dont disagree about the midfield last season and still lament how we deployed Kim even if it was out of necessity. But in previous years we had an abundance of DMs and still ended up with the spoon, what we lacked most and have done for a while was a credible attacking threat so once we go behind we don't have a plan, we throw crap at the wall and hope something sticks.. Sometimes it does but often it doesnt..

pjennings

I dont disagree about the midfield last season and still lament how we deployed Kim even if it was out of necessity. But in previous years we had an abundance of DMs and still ended up with the spoon, what we lacked most and have done for a while was a credible attacking threat so once we go behind we don't have a plan, we throw crap at the wall and hope something sticks.. Sometimes it does but often it doesnt..

Yes - but having DMs that dither on the ball and don't start attacks is the problem. It puts pressure on the defence because there are constant turnovers and it puts pressure on the strikers because they know they will only get limited chances.

Without seeing our trials the reports are that we are creating a lot of chances - something we haven't for years.

I go back to our Championship side - Hutch and Monty might not have been the most creative - but they were solid and we attacked via Josh and Ollie on the left and Pedj and WeeMac on the right. Maty could pick out anyone on the field and PZ and Trent picked out our forwards with long raking passes.

I think the combo of Ollie and Niz is the best twin DMs/CMs we have had since then and will provide a solid base for the team.

We have kept a good keeper. Staj has built what can become a very good defence (still many are quite young) . We will have a good screening pair. The missing ingredient as you say is the attacking threat. hopefully the visa players provide that.

Interesting to here Staj say yesterday that top 6 has to be our goal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred