• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

midfielder

With 4 spots left and two from overseas and the two overseas players up front, I guest that leaves either two backs or a back and mid... to be filled by locals...

Any idea on what backs and mids are available....

Forum Phoenix

I’m concerned we all seem to think a 10+ goal striker will make a huge difference. We could have had a quality striker last year and it would have made little difference without any quality service. With the loss of Harold I don’t think we really have any genuine wide players, just repositioned mids. We also have an untested 10. Ollie is a good signing, but he doesn’t make up for the combined loss of Milan and Kim for experience and quality.

Arguably we are weaker in every part of the field except the backline, which wasn’t quality last year either.

Im hopeful with Staj’s comment today that we still have 4-5 positions to fill, with 2 visas all but locked in, we still have some quality to come in crucial positions, and for me that isn’t limited to a striker and a CB.
Agree. Though I'd say most just think Striker and CB are the next two most vital positions to fill.

But from the outside it looks like we need at least 4 more signings to have enough depth/strength to compete. And definitely an extra attacking mid. To that end I don't mind hearing that both Visa players are attackers. Hopefully we can sign another quality CB from somewhere and or Hall and Rowles step up. Miller really impressed.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I’m concerned we all seem to think a 10+ goal striker will make a huge difference. We could have had a quality striker last year and it would have made little difference without any quality service. With the loss of Harold I don’t think we really have any genuine wide players, just repositioned mids. We also have an untested 10. Ollie is a good signing, but he doesn’t make up for the combined loss of Milan and Kim for experience and quality.

Arguably we are weaker in every part of the field except the backline, which wasn’t quality last year either.

Im hopeful with Staj’s comment today that we still have 4-5 positions to fill, with 2 visas all but locked in, we still have some quality to come in crucial positions, and for me that isn’t limited to a striker and a CB.
But come on, how many opportunities did players like Murray absolutely squander? We did have plenty of service.....sure, we may not have the final link in the chain, but there's no point serving food on a silver platter if the person you're serving it too is going to throw it at the wall then go back to playing in the sand. Strikers also need to be able to create the opportunities themselves - not just through their own ball control, but through off-the-ball running (which was largely non-existent last season). Mids can't create anything if the forward line is fully marked and doing nothing about it.

Doesn't matter how good the rest of your team is - can't win if you don't score goals (especially as, again, we can expect very, very few clean sheets, if any). If we don't have a proven goalscorer, the seasons' over before it's begun. Not 'some kid/untested import/unloved A-league squaddie who might come good'.

pjennings

But come on, how many opportunities did players like Murray absolutely squander? We did have plenty of service.....sure, we may not have the final link in the chain, but there's no point serving food on a silver platter if the person you're serving it too is going to throw it at the wall then go back to playing in the sand. Strikers also need to be able to create the opportunities themselves - not just through their own ball control, but through off-the-ball running (which was largely non-existent last season). Mids can't create anything if the forward line is fully marked and doing nothing about it.

Doesn't matter how good the rest of your team is - can't win if you don't score goals (especially as, again, we can expect very, very few clean sheets, if any). If we don't have a proven goalscorer, the seasons' over before it's begun. Not 'some kid/untested import/unloved A-league squaddie who might come good'.

I'd put it another way.

Yes - Murray did squander some golden opportunities. Guess what - so do the best strikers in the world. The best strikers also tend to be in the best teams and have better service. They get 5 opportunities and put away 2. At CCM you get 2 chances and are expected to perform better than the best in the world.

As a keeper you have to be switched on for 90 minutes - aware of what is happening at all times. Most outfield players only have to concentrate for a fraction of that time. You can have a striker make the perfect run 9 times and be disappointed with the service. On the 10th time the service is good, will he still be there for the perfect run. Same thing the other way, if someone plays the perfect ball 9 times but the runs don't come can the striker complain when the next ball is less than perfect.

Really the game is about keen concentration and execution to the highest extent for short periods of time. We tend to play at a lower level for longer. You have to do all your job at the top level when needed and to be in position to concentrate and execute when needed. Sounds simple but it is not easy to do. People that read the game can make it look easy and that they have all the time in the world - but it is not. Younger players, such as our squad, struggle with it because the concentration needed to execute well is more when you don't have the muscle memory to excute properly fully developed.

The same thing you accuse Murray of is the same same thing that goes wrong through all our team. It's responsible for the cheap turnovers leading to goals, the poor crosses, the poor finishes. It's also responsible for runs not being made. Last season we had a poor defence, poor midfield and poor attack. We seemed to lift a bit after lockdown. That could be extra cohesion or it could be as simple as the players being able to concentrate on their job better in cooler conditions rather than be distracted by the heat and humidity,

true believer

I’d like to see Miller and Zig swap. I know Lewis had plenty of positives at RB but for me I still see him as a natural CB as he was all through youth. Good build for it too.
Ziggy is a natural RB, it is his attitude and work rate that make him a decent cover CB.
yeah i like this. miller is gunna be a gorilla .i've always liked a big mean bastard at CB

Josho Howe

I’d like to see Miller and Zig swap. I know Lewis had plenty of positives at RB but for me I still see him as a natural CB as he was all through youth. Good build for it too.
Ziggy is a natural RB, it is his attitude and work rate that make him a decent cover CB.
While Ziggy was fine at RB the couple of times he played there he is so much better as a CB so l disagree with you there mate. Shouldn't be taking Ziggy out of position to accommodate Miller.

turbo

While Ziggy was fine at RB the couple of times he played there he is so much better as a CB so l disagree with you there mate. Shouldn't be taking Ziggy out of position to accommodate Miller.
You don't see many young CB pairings in the A league and Ziggy is the only real senior option we currently have to provide that quality & experience in CB. Rowles is 22, Tongyik 23 which might be enough if they had strung some consistently great seasons together but I don't think we can say that. With who we have right now I think we have to play him at CB unless he plays on the right of a back 3 which would pose other risks.

Forum Phoenix

Murray wasn't good enough, spooked himself at some stage and couldn't score. I don't think any amount of special service would have made him come good.

Agree. And it’s no shame on him, very few Australuan players are now proving to be good enough at HAL level. We’re clearly producing better defenders than strikers in this country.

A striker has to have something special about them to cut it at this level. You must excel at finishing, Have great timing and game awareness/smarts, and then at least one of the three other categories of either speed, strength, or creativity/ball skill. If you don’t, you will be too successfully defended.

Muzz clearly has a great attitude and was at least a decent finisher. Maybe decent game smarts. But he lacked any of the other essential key components imo.

FFC Mariner

The gap between NPL and AL defences is huge.
Another reason we need a proper 2nd tier or reserve comp.
I think Kuol has great promise but he isn't close to ready yet.
If my memory is correct, Bernie was the last CCM striker to make the step up from NYL let alone NPL2

marinermick

The gap between NPL and AL defences is huge.
Another reason we need a proper 2nd tier or reserve comp.
I think Kuol has great promise but he isn't close to ready yet.
If my memory is correct, Bernie was the last CCM striker to make the step up from NYL let alone NPL2

Bernie and Dukey

midfielder

My reading of the Tea Leafs and Tarot Cards at this point compared to the previous say three to four seasons...

I think its the best combination of youth we have had ...

However, its the worst combination of experienced players..

The devil will be in the next four signings.... two experienced up front overseas players and the Tea Leafs tell me a centre and left back would be handy... whether they can be found and if found are willing to come is another matter...

Today is 25 Nov at 9:45PM and our first game is on 31 December 2020, thats about 35 days....

Hopefully the next two weeks will see all four signings... and some balance across the park...

In case it does not happen.... maybe we should have a forum trail day for unfilled positions. In my mind and to set the record straight I am a 6, in the Juan Román Riquelme style and cough cough cough skill level... OK Riquelme was a 10, but he had the skill of a 6...

Forum Phoenix

Bernie and Dukey

And TBT, Bernie and Dukey were all forced wide just to get game time.

In the last decade what other serious Australian strikers have we produced/developed? Taggart, McMaster, Juric are the best of the bunch... Hard to be impressed imo. We were doing a lot better before... Dutch curriculum and coaching is one issue I think. Visa strikers another. Lacck of a second division definitely. What else?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred