• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Forum Phoenix

To be honest after Simon's effort last night I would like to see Majok get a run and see what he can or can not do. Couldn't be any more ineffective than Simon last night. Actually think Majok may have caused their ageing backs some headaches in the last 20 minutes last night especially when we had to replace Fox and Sam didn't get a run (hindsight is wonderful and I get Staj's tactics). He might have a poor first touch but he is fast and keen as mustard, not old, slow, poor touch and grumpy which played into the hyphenators hands who easily took care of him. The yellow he gave away says it all and especially all of the referee's views on him, he is nothing more than a liability for this team that is trying so hard. I'm sure some of the players are feeling that way about him as well, if not now you see it building as the season progresses.

Couldn’t agree more.

Boogs and NTS are two of the most experienced and reliable centrebacks in the league. Easily had Matty’s measure and about the only thing truly causing them headaches was when Desilva got in behind and the switch of play for Muzz’s assist which still then took an incredible finish from Duric to get the job done.

But Majoks pace, combined with Duric or Kims passing range, and or desilva and Silveras link play, could pay dividends.

shipwreck

Really doing our due diligence here, trialling two dudes.

I wonder if that means they're not world beaters by reputation, which is fine with me.

Did Djuric trial or just get scouted and signed? He is a fkn weapon

Pirate Pete

I wonder if that means they're not world beaters by reputation, which is fine with me.

Staj went over there scouting. I don't think he trialled.

Michael

Nah Milan didn’t trial.

Don’t quote me as I have absolutely no inside info but I’d like to think one of these trialling strikers is another Serbian from Staj’s scouting trip. And I probably prefer that over a South American as they are so hit and miss it’s not funny. I find eastern euro’s have brilliant technical qualities, high work rate and are just so efficient in how they play. Milan is exhibit A.

I rate Staj getting them in for look first though. Doesn’t happen very often if at all for experienced players.
Past managers version’s of due diligence has ended at video footage and agent conversations.

Forum Phoenix

No, and it would be wise to have someone for Muzz to learn from too if we’re hoping he can break out.

For how he needs to play, he doesn’t have that in Matty, and Staj is unlikely to have the ability to progress him significantly on an individual level,

yorkshireman

Apparently... Simon was talking to some fans after the game on Saturday and he said we wouldn't have to "put up with him for much longer"?!?!?!?!?!?
Now I can't see him walking away from a contract etc... but with the 2 trialists and the precedent set last year with Cisse, could he be making a sideways move?

Ozhammer

Apparently... Simon was talking to some fans after the game on Saturday and he said we wouldn't have to "put up with him for much longer"?!?!?!?!?!?
Now I can't see him walking away from a contract etc... but with the 2 trialists and the precedent set last year with Cisse, could he be making a sideways move?
I was there post-game when he mentioned that but didn’t want to post about it in case I misheard or misinterpreted his intent. Btw, his comment was in response to a discussion about the refereeing of the game to which Matty said, “he wouldn’t have to put up with it for much longer”.

His body language suggested that he was unhappy about things and we chatted about it on our way out of the stadium. My thoughts were that he may have realised he has played on a season too long and was prepared to step aside, if the club could bring in a better option. Knowing Matty’s character and how much he cares about the club, it’s something I could see him consider doing.

That said, he could just have been meaning that this would be his last playing season and so anything beyond that is just conjecture.

yorkshireman

I was there post-game when he mentioned that but didn’t want to post about it in case I misheard or misinterpreted his intent. Btw, his comment was in response to a discussion about the refereeing of the game to which Matty said, “he wouldn’t have to put up with it for much longer”.

His body language suggested that he was unhappy about things and we chatted about it on our way out of the stadium. My thoughts were that he may have realised he has played on a season too long and was prepared to step aside, if the club could bring in a better option. Knowing Matty’s character and how much he cares about the club, it’s something I could see him consider doing.

That said, he could just have been meaning that this would be his last playing season and so anything beyond that is just conjecture.

Agree that the meaning is open but I believe as you say that Matty has the clubs best interests at heart and would want to do the best he could, what ever that may be. It must be difficult as a player dealing with the blatant inequality of refereeing decisions which are plain for all to see. If this does amount to anything, I hope it is a good move for Matty and he gets a role in the club that he can enjoy and thrive in.

turbo

It must be difficult as a player dealing with the blatant inequality of refereeing decisions which are plain for all to see
Should we get out the violin? He's had a reputation for quite some time and that works against him but the refs didnt earn that reputation, they also didnt have that outburst which would only further get the officials as a whole offside. You have to be able to take the high road or know when to shut up, perhaps making him captain wasnt the best move as you're asking the bloke getting in trouble to be your voice of reason with the ref and that's a no win situation.

I heard on the weekend it was his 50th yellow? I looked up the leagues all time disciplinary records on transfermarkt and they have him on 42 so perhaps those stats are out of date or not counting other comps like FFA cup, but even so that puts him 7th of all time. More recent figures might take him to 5th or 6th but more importantly all bar one in front of him are defenders, the other (Lia) is in midfield. There's one other striker anywhere close and that's Berisha, O'Donovan is something like 68th and attacking players are more common beyond 80 and 90.

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
Yep Matt's earned his reputation by himself. He's always been an antagonist. Sometimes a great one. Sometimes a poor one. Lately he's more the poor version. Especially since he has only really been a bit part player for the last 3 yrs

Forum Phoenix

Should we get out the violin? He's had a reputation for quite some time and that works against him but the refs didnt earn that reputation, they also didnt have that outburst which would only further get the officials as a whole offside. You have to be able to take the high road or know when to shut up, perhaps making him captain wasnt the best move as you're asking the bloke getting in trouble to be your voice of reason with the ref and that's a no win situation.

I heard on the weekend it was his 50th yellow? I looked up the leagues all time disciplinary records on transfermarkt and they have him on 42 so perhaps those stats are out of date or not counting other comps like FFA cup, but even so that puts him 7th of all time. More recent figures might take him to 5th or 6th but more importantly all bar one in front of him are defenders, the other (Lia) is in midfield. There's one other striker anywhere close and that's Berisha, O'Donovan is something like 68th and attacking players are more common beyond 80 and 90.

Matty has always been aggressive and combative, but that’s still a legitimate part of the game and used by many players.

I don’t hold his high yellow count against him. Has he fouled much... yes. Has he been targeted and received bad decisions... imo many times.

Should he have gone off at the refs the way he did. Never. Was he getting fouled left and right and not given anything but then pinged himself for any 50/50... he was.

On balance I’ve got no problem with Matty getting booked so many times over the years, how could you with how he plays. But the refereeing has always been poor in this league, and they fail to be consistent. Which has imo on many occasions meant that Matty is the softest target for an insecure or inept referee to hit whenever they’re scared of losing control of a game.

That’s not right, even if a player has a long history of being combative etc. Your job is to adjudge and rule on what happens in front of you in that game alone.

Bottom line, a player as combative as Matty, in a team with as little clout as ours, in a league with referees as bad as ours... is a terrible combination.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred