• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Tevor

Agree Big Al, $5 tickets don’t annoy me it’s the club and the team performances. Still 50/50 at the moment but I might go as there might not be a team soon.

Like I said before, amateur tactics by desperate people. And is there any wonder.

JackMariner

We are leaving not only for how Charlesworth, with the aid of some abysmal coaches has decimated a once formidable team but we additionally cannot stomach any longer the bottom of the barrel scum refs that the A-league appoint to our games. The last straw was when we witnessed what we collectively had never seen before, with such conviction everybody booing , at half time and full time. The performance of that pond scum ref epitomized half of the refs in A-League you would not feed, and the other being just tolerable. Gallop's Goons

Antlion

...a losing record that has seen them only win 19 of their last 129 games (a win ratio of under 15%).

As their own fans so aptly pointed out on Saturday night, the Mariners maladroitness is unlikely to go beyond a reshuffling of the coaching staff, statements about a new direction and promises of a return to the heights that saw the club capture the A-League championship in 2012-13 and premierships in 2007-08 and 2011-12.
https://dailyfootballshow.com/?amp=1

Pirate Pete

https://outline.com/VyK8yt

The Central Coast Mariners' struggles could open the door to revive the Canberra A-League bid as concerns grow about the Gosford-based club and its future in the competition.

The Mariners slumped to an 8-2 loss on Saturday night and sacked coach Mike Mulvey hours later - at 1am on Sunday - in one of the toughest nights in club's history.

NoDiggity

Perth Glory are playing a “home game” in Singapore next year, with rumours of either Brisbane or CCM being their opponents. I’d definitely be keen to go over for this.

Antlion

Why the Mariners may be the most important club in the A-League
apaway Roar Guru
7 hours ago

The catalogue of disasters emanating from Gosford came to an awful head on Saturday night.

The Central Coast Mariners fell to a demoralising 8-2 loss to Wellington Phoenix, a scoreline identical to their final match of last season at the same venue.

For at least three seasons now, death-riding the Mariners has become so prevalent it may be offered up as an Olympic sport in time for Tokyo.

It goes to show that football fans have short memories and glosses over the importance to the FFA and the A-League of a healthy, viable Mariners club. Of course, they’ve been anything but healthy of late and are becoming a lot less viable.

For the good of the game, the governing body needs to do something to help steer the Mariners back towards something akin to the QE2, rather than the Titanic it is fast becoming.

Given the current turmoil spilling into Brisbane Water like a major oil spill, it’s easy to forget that the Mariners, despite the smallest catchment area in the league, have been more successful than all but three other sides in A-League history.

It’s easy to forget that a decade ago, the Mariners were averaging 15,500 spectators to their home games.

It’s easy to forget that the likes of Mile Jedinak, Mat Ryan, Trent Sainsbury, Tom Rogic, Bernie Ibini and Mustafa Amini cut their professional teeth at Central Coast Stadium. It’s easy to forget that the Mariners were the first A-League club to open a Centre Of Excellence.

While all those players have moved onto bigger stages, it is not the loss of any one player that could be seen as the catalyst to the Mariners slide into horror.

Rather, it is the loss of inaugural coach Lawrie McKinna that has harmed the Mariners the most. I’ve expressed my admiration for McKinna in a previous article but he, along with assistants Alex Tobin and Ian Ferguson, had the formula to make the Mariners successful, both on and off the pitch.

As he once said, “We had 23 players and there are 23 clubs in the Central Coast association. It wasn’t rocket science what we needed to do first.”

Matt Simon of the Central Coast Mariners (Photo by Tony Feder/Getty Images)

For the first eight seasons, the Mariners belonged to the people of the Central Coast. It is a professional sports experience almost unlike any other. Fans would come sunburned and sandy straight from the beach and pile into the ground to watch a side that played for them.

It was a unique family atmosphere and the region adored the side, even in the seasons where they didn’t (over) achieve. Along with McKinna, whose popularity would lead to him becoming the Mayor of Gosford, there were guiding lights of the business community behind the scenes, with the likes of John Singleton, Peter Turnbull and Lyall Gorman contributing to the evolution of the club.

The Mariners’ success was even more significant, given they had the region to themselves. NRL, AFL and rugby had no footprint between Patonga and Gwandalan.

Sure, the NRL plays a handful of games at the stadium every season but in the Mariners most successful period, those games drew no better than the club that truly called the place home.

FFA had claimed a territorial victory over its sporting rivals. Junior registrations in the region continued to grow and current Socceroos coach Graham Arnold led the club to the promised land when they finally won the A-League title in 2013, after three previous grand final defeats, including the 2011 decider in Brisbane that realistically launched Ange Postecoglou’s coaching career into orbit.

It is often said that the slide began when Mike Charlesworth took control of the club. It’s not easy to refute the argument, as Charlesworth took a majority share of the club only a month before they won the 2013 grand final, and haven’t looked likely to do so since.

However, Charlesworth had already been involved in the club before that time, and took control to ease some financial woes that had befallen the club during their most successful on-field season.

That said, he has hardly endeared himself to Mariners fans during his ownership, even attempting to move half of their home games to a non-existent supporter base in North Sydney to a ground totally unsuited to watching football from a ground purpose-built for it.

In the first nine A-League seasons, the Mariners had two coaches and were a model of stability. With an impending appointment to replace Mike Mulvey, sacked at 1.00am on Sunday morning, they’ll be handing the clipboard and whistle to their seventh coach in five years.

It has to stop.

There is no point banging on about promotion and relegation and declaring that the Mariners “don’t deserve” their A-League status, that they’re hardly worthy of NPL status.

That is both inaccurate and grossly unfair to the supporters on the Coast – and they are still out there, waiting to be engaged with. For that has been the absolute downfall of the club. They’ve failed to build on all that early work.

The Mariners are still the focus on the Central Coast – there are enough people wandering around in replica shirts, large displays in major shopping centres, many reminders of the Mariners existence at indoor centres, on billboards, in passing conversation.

More than 10,000 people turned up to watch a trial game only months ago, fuelled by curiosity over Usain Bolt. They were given no reason to stick around.

Sacking Mike Mulvey was inevitable but will do nothing without a lot more change behind the scenes. Charlesworth denies he was offered $8.5 million for the club earlier in the season but unless he is willing to do a lot more than remain anonymous while his club sinks, he should sell up or have the FFA step in and do it for him.

The blueprint for club success is already there and Mulvey reportedly contacted McKinna before the start of the season to see what strategies worked in the past. He didn’t employ them. Maybe the Bolt circus was an unwanted distraction, and there is no doubt the cruel luck of losing both Ross McCormack and Tommy Oar for most of the season has not helped the side’s 2018-19 campaign.

Results are important and terrible results – as the Mariners have produced this season – do nothing to attract the lost hordes.

But it wasn’t only results that attracted the hordes in seasons past, it was ownership. Not the Mike Charlesworth type of ownership but the one where the community is part of the proceedings, where everyone that attends the unique stadium with the palm trees and sauce bottles feels like a participant, a family member, a part of the furniture.

That was the blueprint that had them streaming through the gates not so long ago and made going to a game in Gosford a must-do experience.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/03/...y-be-the-most-important-club-in-the-a-league/

nebakke

It's hard not to assume that it's just more words, and at this point it'll take some VERY impressive recruitment to see someone like me renew before we win five or six games at the beginning of next season... But I suppose it's nice to have some sort of statement from the club amidst all of this shit...

Or something... I'm not gonna nitpick his words too much, he has made it clear in the past that he shouldn't be issuing statements without having an editor and a PR person review it first.

Antlion

Actually I feel somewhat reassured by that article. And am aware it is just words.

But with an independent league, stadium rights and some ok money into the football department and there's no reason that we can't be competitive again.

Will have to see it before I believe it is all.

Big Al

I guess at least now we know it's $12 million ONO.
We probably have got as much media exposure for loosing 8-2 and sacking Mulvey in the middle of the night as bolt.

Internet clicks are worth a lot these days.

Therefore the price must go up

Reactions: adz

Big Al

Actually I feel somewhat reassured by that article. And am aware it is just words.

But with an independent league, stadium rights and some ok money into the football department and there's no reason that we can't be competitive again.

Will have to see it before I believe it is all.
I like him just owning it and not saying it was Mulvey or this and that. Aa good leader takes that blame and it is his to own.

We all thought Mulvey was what we needed so can’t totally blame him for being wrong there. It’s the recruitment around the coach that has to be reviewed.

What players do we need to play how the cosch wants. When is the coach just being stupid and needs to be told no. Gets these things right and we can do a Newcastle style turn around.

For the all the crap we still led almost half the games. Fix the second half and we are on track

Coastalraider

I like him just owning it and not saying it was Mulvey or this and that. Aa good leader takes that blame and it is his to own.

We all thought Mulvey was what we needed so can’t totally blame him for being wrong there. It’s the recruitment around the coach that has to be reviewed.

What players do we need to play how the cosch wants. When is the coach just being stupid and needs to be told no. Gets these things right and we can do a Newcastle style turn around.

For the all the crap we still led almost half the games. Fix the second half and we are on track

I still have the feeling that the reason we led a lot and ultimately lost a lot was that with the lower level of squad talent we have, we had to play at 100% pace to keep up with the opposition. That meant we couldn’t hold that pace for a full 90, leading to fatigue and errors.

Easy comparison is with a running race - the person leading at halfway has usually gone out too hard and will fade - pacing over the full duration is the key.

Ancient Mariner

The main reason we lost those games was that we played 3 at the back with wingers, and not even the suggestion of wingbacks, which allowed us to press high which does take its toll.
However having attained the lead the formation was not changed in the second half which over time developed into a shambles with no structure, no positional play but with players just scrambling to defend. Centre backs were continually pulled apart to cover for non existent wingbacks.
I never saw a defence of 5 4 1 at any stage, nor even my own, Wombat's and Arnie's preference of a defensive 4 4 2 wall.

Crap coaching which was blamed on red cards.

Antlion

The main reason we lost those games was that we played 3 at the back with wingers, and not even the suggestion of wingbacks, which allowed us to press high which does take its toll.
However having attained the lead the formation was not changed in the second half which over time developed into a shambles with no structure, no positional play but with players just scrambling to defend. Centre backs were continually pulled apart to cover for non existent wingbacks.
I never saw a defence of 5 4 1 at any stage, nor even my own, Wombat's and Arnie's preference of a defensive 4 4 2 wall.

Crap coaching which was blamed on red cards.
Well said Ancient

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred