• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Lets get the Soccer out of the Socceroos

Bear

midfielder said:
It really disheartens me every time I hear people call football, soccer — even more so when it’s in the media.

I think in order for us to make serious strides we really need to change the name of the Socceroos to something else. What to, I’m not sure, but it definitely shouldn’t have ’soccer’ in it.

Hmmm

Arabmariner

Greenpoleffc said:
Get rid of the name.

Stupid pandering to the mainstream when we needed any possible edge we could get.

We are the Australian Football Team.

End of
Hear hear.Why do we need these stupid nicknames at all.

Hockeyroos,kangaroos,olyroos,soccerf$%kinroos .It gets on ma tits.

They are all called AUSTRALIA for f%$ks sake!!!! :soapbox:

midfielder

Bearinator said:
midfielder said:
It really disheartens me every time I hear people call football, soccer even more so when its in the media.

I think in order for us to make serious strides we really need to change the name of the Socceroos to something else. What to, Im not sure, but it definitely shouldnt have soccer in it.

Hmmm

Put the opening in as well

On another general sports forum the following thread is being discussed there are the normal trols that make there way on but some interesting ideas and passion.

Anyway to the discussion...................

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/03/18/lets-get-the-soccer-out-of-the-socceroos/

It really disheartens me every time I hear people call football, soccer even more so when its in the media.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bear

Fire up grumpy!!!

I didnt even bother to read the link, I thought was was writen under it was something you actually wrote

T

thanman

Be like every other country and known for its country's name.
So we are Australia.
Not the socceroos.

Auburn Mariner

Suggestions for the name of the Australian Football team (and I like the fact we have names for our teams, by the way):

1. The Stingrays that got Steve Irwin
2. The Emus (headless, brainless black chooks on 'roids...mmm, nah)
3. The Paranoid Androids (suggested by one M. Bleiberg, c-/Skilled Park, Robina)
4. The Errrr, Single Syllables (suggested by one P.Okon, c-/NISC, New Lambton)
5. The Merv Hughes Love Children

And, now, seriously:

1. The Bulls
2. The Crocodiles
3. The Green & Golds

4. The Johnny Warren XI

5. Sorry, please refer to number 4, I'm not capable of suggesting anything remotely close to that.

Cheerio from a quiet UTS,

AM

T

thanman

yeah i know you would have.. just doing my share of advertising a great show. lol

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Meh, I really couldn't care less if people call it 'football' or 'soccer'. 

I like the name 'socceroos'.  There's a lot of history and passion behind that name.  I don't see any reason to change it.

Besides, it sounds better than 'footballroos' ;-)

kevrenor

Most national teams have a nickname ... that only sticks is the fans use it. Just 'cos many European countries don't doesn't mean we can't.

So:
Australian Men's national football team - Socceroos since about 1972
Women's - Matildas
Under 23 Men's - Olyroos
Young Women's - Young Matildas
U20 Men's - Young Socceroos
U17 Men's - Joeys

As I say they only stick if people use them

Oh, and it is football!

Gav...

dont change the name i think that socceroos goes with it because all the other sports teams have used other possible names.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred