• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Lets get the Soccer out of the Socceroos

midfielder

On another general sports forum the following thread is being discussed there are the normal trols that make there way on but some interesting ideas and passion.

Anyway to the discussion...................

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/03/18/lets-get-the-soccer-out-of-the-socceroos/

It really disheartens me every time I hear people call football, soccer even more so when its in the media.

The FFA have tried to rectify this by being called the Football Federation Australia and having the domestic competition being called A-League Football.

But our most popular and most marketable team, the SOCCERoos, still has the foul stench of Soccer Australia all over it.

I think in order for us to make serious strides we really need to change the name of the Socceroos to something else. What to, Im not sure, but it definitely shouldnt have soccer in it.

~Floss~

Do they need a nickname?

Most other NT's don't go by an official nickname.

If they must have one, just shorten it to the roos.

Otherwise I think "Australia" is a pretty good name.

Kareem

Yea
Roos is good enough!!!
but media is gonna be the hard thing to get around.
It would still be referred as socceroos...unless they released a statement to say...DONT CALL US THAT! lol

kepo

Roos sucks.
Too confusing.
~Floss~ said:
Otherwise I think "Australia" is a pretty good name.
same, or maybe we could borrow some amazing well thought gay nicknames,
like roar or victory
:p

Atomic

I think enough heroic deeds have been performed by the boys in the name of "Socceroos" to justify keeping the name. Personally, I'd like the Union Jack to be removed from the flag, but so many good men have fought and died under it, so I'm happy to keep it. The term "Socceroo" transcends the word "soccer" and has earned the right to exist as a stand alone entity

FFC Mariner

Get rid of the name.

Stupid pandering to the mainstream when we needed any possible edge we could get.

We are the Australian Football Team.

End of

scottmac

Suspended
What about a name like the Azzuri for Italy and all those other South American names such as cellestia or whatever it is they call the Urgay national team.

I can't think of one because of a lack of brain cells due to over indulgence as a teenager, so just trying to stir other, more creative people's juices.  8)

Ted

Soccer or football, football or soccer, either way i really don't care. Still a bloody great game no matter what ya want to call it!

S

soccersensei

Good luck midfielder, but hey lets get rid of the "soccer" from soccersensei for a bloody start then!!! BUT footballsensei just plain sucks... and so many of my posts have died under the name of soccersensei... Man this is just too hard!!!

Mariner Girl

Socceroos is so recognisable amongst the Bandwagoners and whilst we have that name people will still refer to it as "soccer".

Now we are in the Rugby League season, people say they are going to the football, not the Rugby League. Same as the AFL. It is hard to get rid of the "soccer" especially when you see interviews on TV with the old NSL players / coaches and they still insist on callling it soccer. Also, I have heard people in the UK refer to it as soccer too, so the "soccer" term is not confined to Aust or the United States, who flatly refuse to change from calling it soccer. At least we are trying - bit by bit  :headbutt:

As for a name for the "Socceroos", what about the "Aussie Nuggets".  Suggests they are Gold, hard and rough around the edges, but gets the job done... ???

midfielder

soccersensei said:
Good luck midfielder, but hey lets get rid of the "soccer" from soccersensei for a bloody start then!!! BUT footballsensei just plain sucks... and so many of my posts have died under the name of soccersensei... Man this is just to hard! ! !

Actually I am in favour of keeping the Socceroo name as it is the best product brand in Australia.

On the general sports link among the trols were some quite interesting debates, many hugly long. too hard.

Ted

Whats more Aussie than the term Socceroos?

Footyroos, Footybats, Womballers (not touching this one, lol), Fookaolas, Emuballers?

If it aint broke don't fix it......

Jesus

Jesus
Is the brand. It will stay.

It doesnt matter if some people call it soccer. Slowly that changes to football. Hell, i am happy whenever i hear them talk about the beautiful game at all. In positives anyway. Usually only negatives get "soccer". As negatives dissapear, so does "soccer". As positives grow, "football" grows. Until the word soccer will not hold the conotations of the past, and will no longer be compared to football, as football has completely outgrown it.

Bear

Dose it really f**king matter what its called? Seriously, if you really, REALLY care that its called soccer, you need to get out more

Azza

What else would you call the team?
When someone says football i normally think of the NRL

dibo

midfielder said:
Actually I am in favour of keeping the Socceroo name as it is the best product brand in Australia.

ahem...

why did you start a thread called 'Lets get the Soccer out of the Socceroos'?

FFC Mariner

Given that it is a brand with a $$ value to the sponsors, I doubt the FFA will consider the irony of still using the dreaded S word.

Bear

dibo said:
midfielder said:

ahem...

A rendition of "you dont know what your doing" might be in order?

midfielder

dibo said:
midfielder said:

ahem...

I was talking about another sports forum and what they were talking about

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred